OCCRA
Go to Post *referring to Team Titanium's 2012 robot* If only it could play guitar hero at the same time. sigh. - rsisk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2014, 04:52 PM
AKA: Safiq
FRC #2950 (Devastators)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
safiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond repute
What is T-boning?

Now I know what t-bone is, Where a team collides with you on the side forming a right angle or a "T", but I'm not sure what is the effect is especially in FRC. Also I'm trying to understand how some teams avoid T-bones or get out of those situation. If someone could please explain and provide some examples of how team get out of these situation it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2014 Dallas Semi-Finalist (Thanks 3847 & 231)
2014 OKC Semi-Finalist (Thanks 2341 & 2461)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2014, 04:57 PM
AKA: Ahad Bawany
no team (None)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
thatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is T-boning?

The effect of T-boning is (usually) that your robot cannot move due to friction. Some team have countered this through slippery bumpers and unusual chassis shapes. The cheesy poofs use slippery bumpers and 971 uses a slightly angled chassis.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Mechanical + Drive Coach
AKA: Sohaib Nadeem
FRC #5036 (The Robo Devils)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
Sohaib has a reputation beyond reputeSohaib has a reputation beyond reputeSohaib has a reputation beyond reputeSohaib has a reputation beyond reputeSohaib has a reputation beyond reputeSohaib has a reputation beyond reputeSohaib has a reputation beyond reputeSohaib has a reputation beyond reputeSohaib has a reputation beyond reputeSohaib has a reputation beyond reputeSohaib has a reputation beyond repute

Simbotics used drop down omni wheels this year to allow their robot to get out of T-Bones.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Team Captain
FRC #2002 (Tualatin Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
JorgeReyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually T-boning in Frc isn't exactly where the robot can't move. It's where a robot pushes another robot that is moving forward/backwards on its side and the t-boned robot's wheels spinning and the sideways force from the other robot causes the t-boned robot to lose traction and then the defending robot can push the t-boned robot sideways. If the robot being t-boned does not move, the robot trying to t-bone won't be able to move it sideways because sideways force by itself isn't enough to overcome the traction of the t-boned robot.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2014, 05:22 PM
no team (None)

thatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputethatprogrammer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeReyes View Post
Actually T-boning in Frc isn't exactly where the robot can't move. It's where a robot pushes another robot that is moving forward/backwards on its side and the t-boned robot's wheels spinning and the sideways force from the other robot causes the t-boned robot to lose traction and then the defending robot can push the t-boned robot sideways. If the robot being t-boned does not move, the robot trying to t-bone won't be able to move it sideways because sideways force by itself isn't enough to overcome the traction of the t-boned robot.
Interesting, never knew it could also refer to a case where the robot being 'boned is moved sideways. Thanks for the info!

According to 254, the alternate bumper material makes t-bones far less of a concern. They can just drive past them. I believe they use sail cloth for their bumpers.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2014, 05:37 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatprogrammer View Post
Interesting, never knew it could also refer to a case where the robot being 'boned is moved sideways. Thanks for the info!
I think you're confused, because t-bone exclusively refers to when the robot being boned is moved sideways, or at least pushed from the side. Pins in general are not T-bones, nor is "wall defense".
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2014, 06:28 PM
no team (None)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I think you're confused, because t-bone exclusively refers to when the robot being boned is moved sideways, or at least pushed from the side. Pins in general are not T-bones, nor is "wall defense".
Oh I see. Sorry, I had previously thought that t boning referred to a t shaped pin! Thanks for the information.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2014, 10:12 PM
#JusticeforPinecone
FRC #5254 (HYPE), FRC #20 (The Rocketeers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Kevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond repute

T-boning can be a t-shaped pin. It can have the effect of the robot being t-boned moved sideways, or it can be against a wall.

T-Boning is generally creating bumper-to bumper contact with another robot with the front end of your robot pushing the other robot perpendicular to that robot's direction of motion.

The effect it has is often preventing motion in the desired direction, and thereby keeping the affected robot from scoring.

This can be better explained by someone smarter than me.

You can see it in most FRC matches this year that had effective defense.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2014, 10:37 PM
FRC #3991 (KnightVision)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2002
Max Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant future

What 1065 does to 233
2017: 179, 1592, 1477
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2014, 11:13 PM
AKA: Avery
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
zinthorne has a spectacular aura aboutzinthorne has a spectacular aura aboutzinthorne has a spectacular aura about

T-bones are very hard to get out of especially when using mecanem wheels. The wheels have such little traction that you can't drive out of a t-bone like 254. Without using different bumper material or chassis, the best way is to have your driver get stuck in a few and then learn how to avoid them or drive spin or drive well enough to get out of them. I was caught in tons in the first district I drove and then was not caught in them hardly at all after. In my opinion the easiest way to avoid them is to be constantly moving. Also if you know that one is coming you can essentially spin out of it, if they do not hit you directly in the middle of your bumpers. Spin the corner the your robot the same direction that the robot is coming at you. Watch at about 1:04 when 3663 gets pinned by 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbHHUtCGc1c
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2014, 01:24 AM
Purdue University
AKA: Spencer Tickman
FRC #1747 (Harrison Boiler Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
tickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinthorne View Post
T-bones are very hard to get out of especially when using mecanem wheels. The wheels have such little traction that you can't drive out of a t-bone like 254. Without using different bumper material or chassis, the best way is to have your driver get stuck in a few and then learn how to avoid them or drive spin or drive well enough to get out of them. I was caught in tons in the first district I drove and then was not caught in them hardly at all after. In my opinion the easiest way to avoid them is to be constantly moving. Also if you know that one is coming you can essentially spin out of it, if they do not hit you directly in the middle of your bumpers. Spin the corner the your robot the same direction that the robot is coming at you. Watch at about 1:04 when 3663 gets pinned by 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbHHUtCGc1c
If you have your mecanum programmed properly and your drivers know how to take advantage of its holonomic capabilities i dont understand how you can possibly get t-boned. When somebody comes along side you all you need to do is translate away.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2014, 01:41 AM
Knock-off Dr. Strange
AKA: inkling16
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Caleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickspe15 View Post
If you have your mecanum programmed properly and your drivers know how to take advantage of its holonomic capabilities i dont understand how you can possibly get t-boned. When somebody comes along side you all you need to do is translate away.
This.
Although not directly comparable, 33 this year was a good example of why having a low sideways cof could make it easy to slip out of t-bones. Given, this is all dependent on good driving, I'm sure it would have been easy to take advantage of 33's drivetrain when defending had they had poor driving ability.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2014, 12:46 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Gearing is also important. You need to be able to apply force to the ground while your wheels are being backdriven and your rollers are spinning due to the pushing force. Ideally, you're right - translating away from the pin will allow you to escape. Just be sure to do some testing when implementing your mecanum drive as this kind of stuff can be hard to model accurately. Lots of factors involving play at the rollers, construction of the wheels, rigidity of the frame, etc. are at play.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There are a surprising number of mecanum robots that are not actually programmed to go sideways; they simply use mecanum wheels in a tank drive setup...
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2014, 01:09 PM
I am Dave! Yognaut
AKA: Brian Bray
FRC #1296 (Full Metal Jackets)

Rookie Year: 2010
BBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
There are a surprising number of mecanum robots that are not actually programmed to go sideways; they simply use mecanum wheels in a tank drive setup...
So like a normal omni-tank drive, but with 4 wheel independent gear-trains. Sounds expensive.

RIP David Shafer: you will be missed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: