OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST is not about lowering the bar to those with the smallest expectations, but helping helping all teams exceed the standards set by the best. - Allison K [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2016, 11:20 PM
AKA: Jordan Godwin
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
JG1902 has a spectacular aura aboutJG1902 has a spectacular aura aboutJG1902 has a spectacular aura about
#FIRSTLikeAGirl

Hello Chief Delphi!

I wanted to introduce Exploding Bacon's new campaign, #FIRSTLikeAGirl!

This video campaign is meant to inspire girls in STEM to pursue their goals in FIRST, and elsewhere! #FIRSTLikeAGirl gives women in STEM a role model to look up to, and a perspective that encourages them to reach beyond the boundaries society makes for them!

We encourage other teams to make tell their own stories by making their own #FIRSTLikeAGirl videos!

Watch them here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsj0...uyw TjuYkZhUz
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2016, 11:28 PM
http://imjac.in/ta/name
AKA: Jaci R Brunning
FRC #5333 (Can't C#) #5663 (Ground Control) | (OpenRIO, FRC West Aus)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
Jaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond repute
Re: #FIRSTLikeAGirl

That was a very sweet and progressive playlist of videos. I hope the campaign works out well for not only your team, but many others as well, in inspiring more women in STEAM and any future career choices they may make. Good job on the videos, they are very well made and carry a wonderful message along with them

Curtin FRC (5333+5663) : Senior Mentor
OpenRIO : Owner

Website | Github
jaci.brunning@gmail.com
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2016, 07:28 AM
Cinematographic Extraordinaire
AKA: Luke Moss
FRC #2052 (KnightKrawler)
Team Role: Student

TheMilkman01 has much to be proud ofTheMilkman01 has much to be proud ofTheMilkman01 has much to be proud ofTheMilkman01 has much to be proud ofTheMilkman01 has much to be proud ofTheMilkman01 has much to be proud ofTheMilkman01 has much to be proud ofTheMilkman01 has much to be proud ofTheMilkman01 has much to be proud of

This is cool stuff! I'll be sure to bring it up next team meeting and we'll look into producing our own. Great job on the videos
The Story of St. Louis | A FIRST Documentary
I'm currently working on a series of video tutorials to help other teams with their own media production. I aim to finish before I graduate from FIRST later this year.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2016, 09:05 AM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the videos. And how the format works. We have a pile of video we shot years ago and I can think of clips that might work in this format. We never really figured out how to effectively use the footage, but now I think this solves the problem.

Two suggestions.

1) Trim the 1st video so that it is 1 minute. That way it can fit into a broadcast time slot. Maybe stretch the others so that it is 1 minute. ( we need Big Al in here for some guidance )

2) Create a library of the same videos with 1 second (1/2 second might be good enough) black footage, no audio, at the beginning and end of the video. With a URL just below the #FIRSTLikeAGirl logo that has www.firstinspires.org in a smaller font, that is sans serif, and a light'ish font, for easy reading. Kind of like you see here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TedV5R96--0&t=7m56s (This video itself needs a bigger font, and bigger logo.)

Then you can submit it to local tv stations or cable system local access channels and encourage them to play some of this as part of their PSA footage. I think that FCC requirement is still in place. It used to be that in order for a TV station to keep their license they had to do a certain amount of "broadcast community service" - they would roll PSA (public service announcements) as part of their FCC filing. Big Al can jump in and verify this PSA comment if he is watching this thread.

The library of videos for Youtube and for Broadcast can be different only in the fact that you have a black space at the front of the video.

If we could create PSA's that are out of the box ready for broadcast flow, that would be cool.

A good technical standard to adhere to is the PBS Redbook.
On this specification you can see a lot of technical specs that makes it work for broadcast. Follow the rules for ending the spot on the '0's, for 60, 30, and 20 second spots. View 20 second spots with a new fresh approach than 30s, not just a cut down version.

I am NOT suggesting that we create spots for PBS with their logo.

What I AM suggesting is that we create spots using their technical specs, where applicable, so that they are ready to roll out of the can if presented to any broadcast outlet. Look at page 7 and 8 of this document, for example: http://bento.cdn.pbs.org/hostedbento...201.2011_1.pdf

Something to think about in case there is a chance to get it on the TV
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Gabriela Hall
FRC #0900 (Zebracorns)
Team Role: Alumni

GabrielaH is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an amazing campaign, and those videos were on point. Please continue working on this, and the idea of sending the videos to broadcasters is great.

You should show these videos to new team members during preseason to bring to light your supportive environment. This should help to retain more female students, as it made me feel supported, as a female, by watching a women in STEM video with the team during preseason and addressing the issues women generally face in STEM.

Great work and good luck!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2016, 05:46 PM
AKA: Mark Smith
FRC #3735 (VorTX)

Rookie Year: 2012
Aerosmit is an unknown quantity at this point

I wanted to pass along a couple of links. My company NRG, put together a series of videos from this season and specifically put one together about Women in STEM that highlight the young ladies on both 3735 and 1477.

http://itson.nrg.com/first/?iid=RPR_...otics_HPBanner

Women in STEM Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XXeFVlhAGE

Mark
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2016, 01:04 AM
AKA: Tabia Schmidt
FRC #2521 (SERT)

tab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud of

This is great. I've been wanting to launch a Girls in STEM campaign for my own team and I was wondering: how did you get the support needed for this from the team members and mentors? I have a few students on my team that are skeptical of such a campaign. Thank you!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2016, 01:34 AM
Advocator for True Equality
AKA: John Cena
FRC #1337 (The Astliers)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 1776
The Swaggy P is infamous around these partsThe Swaggy P is infamous around these partsThe Swaggy P is infamous around these partsThe Swaggy P is infamous around these partsThe Swaggy P is infamous around these partsThe Swaggy P is infamous around these partsThe Swaggy P is infamous around these parts

Usually I disapprove of pro-girl systems in FIRST, purely because these systems tend to blame the opposite gender for their lack of participation.

But here, you seem to be encouraging girls to join the FIRST community without bringing up equality or gender treatment. Kudos to you for taking a much friendlier approach.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2016, 07:42 AM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swaggy P View Post
Usually I disapprove of pro-girl systems in FIRST, purely because these systems tend to blame the opposite gender for their lack of participation.

But here, you seem to be encouraging girls to join the FIRST community without bringing up equality or gender treatment. Kudos to you for taking a much friendlier approach.
There is an important sub-thread here. Most people, and rightly so, object to a pro-(fill in the blank) system of equality. They just simply want everyone to be treated equally, and given equal opportunity, period.

A good message can do is convey 'identity'. When the viewer sees the video or picture they think - "I see someone that's like ME, maybe I can to that too."

I have interviewed students about recruiting and a comment I get is that "when the first time I walk in and look around, is this a group of people that I can be with, work with, be friends with? Are they like ME?". ( Sounds like a job interview )

I am an old guy and have lived in the pre-civil rights era and I have seen a lot of things in my life!

Right now there is a movie that was released just a few days ago on HBO called "All The Way". It is about the life of President Lyndon B. Johnson during his tenure as President. It was a difficult movie to make because it had to take thousands of pages of historical facts and reduce it to 2 hours of script. Some areas of his life you could write a book on and it was reduced to two or three lines of script.

When you watch the movie, play close attention to all the roles people play, black and white, male and female, in that movie. Look at who is serving the food, and who is eating the food, shining the shoes, wearing the shoes, etc.

Kids are sponges. They learn all day long, not just in school, but from the time they wake up to the time they go to sleep.

Kids are going to "be what they see". ( which coincidentally is a good piece of advice for mentors )

I know it sounds very cliche, those posters where you look at them and say, wow, that was really staged, they have everyone archetype person in the universe in the photo, but nevertheless, it is important to create messages where kids can see and identify with the person and make a connection.

This is a chance to do a really good job at this and not be over the top and overbearing about it. Thread the needle !!

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by ebarker : 05-24-2016 at 08:02 AM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2016, 03:10 PM
FRC Lead, Chairman's, Imagery, Web
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Rookie Year: 2011
EliseCH is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab1a View Post
This is great. I've been wanting to launch a Girls in STEM campaign for my own team and I was wondering: how did you get the support needed for this from the team members and mentors? I have a few students on my team that are skeptical of such a campaign. Thank you!
I am excited to hear the comments, as others here noticed the FIRST Like a Girl videos are meant to be positive, encouraging and personal.

I love the girls on my team and noticed that confidence seems to be a huge aspect of girls not joining and/or stepping up more. I wanted to help girls see others girls like them doing really cool stuff and think, "Hey that's cool! I could do that too!" And, I have already seen the confidence of the subjects of the videos increase in the way they interact with me. It is so encouraging!

Key points to help your team see the value.

- Positive Message. "Encouraging girls to join the FIRST community without bringing up equality or gender treatment." as The Swaggy P mentioned in a previous reply. No negativity, comparisons or blame -- just celebrating what they do and love about their experience.
- Personal Stories. Helping prospective girls see the "real" girls on our team and what they are involved in, so maybe they can relate to some of the girls and the type of things they like and give it a try.
- This is not a big investment of time to create and commit to. You can do 1 video and see what kid of response you get. Ours has been overwhelmingly positive and supportive.
- This program was conceived by, interviews are done by and edited by females. I don't think this is necessary or practical for every team, but hopefully knowing the background of the initial endeavor helps.
- Not everyone will interview well on camera. And, often not the ones you think will. Our subjects have been some of our quietest kids. And, they came across GREAT!
- The interviewees are given final approval on the videos. This is really important. No one wants to “look stupid”. Control gives them the confidence to know no one will make them “look bad”. It has been a huge selling point for their interviewees. No one has yet to object to their video :-)
- We are also working on personal stories of the boys on the team as well. Because we want boys to be able to relate to our team members as well. The students are excited to share their stories and I look forward to seeing how this helps with our recruitment and their confidence in the coming season too.
On a more technical note… it also really helps that we have organized video with an uncomplicated structure, simple and to the point. They have been fairly easy to put together.
-- Filming takes about 10-15 minutes per student. Setting up, placing the microphone, rewording and repeating as necessary.
-- The girls have been really thoughtful about their “robotics story”. But we also have some interview questions to help make sure we have enough content.
-- We include 5-7 pictures of their involvement.
-- And, keep each to only about a minute. (I will be looking into the other recommendations made)

If you like the videos, I hope you will go to our facebook page and share our latest video of Kate from Bacon Builders FLL Team 8265! https://www.facebook.com/explodingba...3707898873741/

Last edited by EliseCH : 05-24-2016 at 03:17 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: