Go to Post Actually, FIRST Is hoping the reverse, that your bot will be "Ball damage proof" - Rombus [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard
Greyt Universal Cascade Elevator and Powercube Claw

I'm excited to announce two new products being sold at WCProducts.net!

The first is a universal cascade elevator with everything you need to make it

The second is a super adjustable static or pneumatically actuated claw for Powercubes, but it has enough adjustment that it could be used for games like 2011, etc...

Both show as backordered now, but will be ready to ship out Mon/Tues of this coming week.

We're sorry for the two week delay since kickoff, but these were conceived of and entirely sourced since then!

We plan to do the same next year, but ideally a week or more sooner into the season.

All the plates and non-Vex/non-WCP parts are sourced locally so we should be able to keep up with order demand easily.

Thanks to RC and WCProducts for making this all possible!

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.
Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Last edited by AdamHeard : 01-19-2018 at 07:54 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 01:46 PM
Globe Motor Fan Club
FRC #6364 (TenTon), #610 (Alumni)

Rookie Year: 2006
Duncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Duncan Macdonald
Any word on when the ramp kit will be available?

Last edited by Duncan Macdonald : 01-19-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Removed Tapatalk stuff
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 01:50 PM
AKA: Eli Barnett
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)

Rookie Year: 2008
Oblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greyt Universal Cascade Elevator and Powercube Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Macdonald View Post
Any word on when the ramp kit will be available?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Bonus points if it includes assembly instructions and prewritten code.

Member, FRC Team 449: 2007-2010
Drive Mechanics Lead, FRC Team 449: 2009-2010
Alumnus/Technical Mentor, FRC Team 449: 2010-Present
Lead Technical Mentor, FRC Team 4464: 2012-2015
Technical Mentor, FRC Team 5830: 2015-2016

FRC Drivetrain Characterization
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 01:54 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)
Team Role: Coach

mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Adam. A couple of questions:
  • is that 2x1?
  • can we purchase the bearings/gussets/pulleys/cable without the versaframe?
  • any larger images?

Remember why you're doing this.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoble View Post
Thanks Adam. A couple of questions:
  • is that 2x1?
  • can we purchase the bearings/gussets/pulleys/cable without the versaframe?
  • any larger images?
What's shown is 2x1x.1 Versaframe, but any 2x1 metal could be used.

The gussets are designed to attach almost entirely to the existing holes leaving minimal custom work for teams. You'd have to place all the holes on regular tubing of course.

the Kit includes all the custom gussets, fasteners, bearings, rod ends, etc... you need, and the Vex parts are separate.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:00 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)

mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post

The gussets are designed to attach almost entirely to the existing holes leaving minimal custom work for teams. You'd have to place all the holes on regular tubing of course.

the Kit includes all the custom gussets, fasteners, bearings, rod ends, etc... you need, and the Vex parts are separate.
Ah, so, the base kit is all the stuff I actually need, and I don't have to buy more versaplanetaries that I don't need more of. I'm all for it then. Thanks for clarifying.

Remember why you're doing this.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:01 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2013
AlexanderLuke has much to be proud ofAlexanderLuke has much to be proud ofAlexanderLuke has much to be proud ofAlexanderLuke has much to be proud ofAlexanderLuke has much to be proud ofAlexanderLuke has much to be proud ofAlexanderLuke has much to be proud ofAlexanderLuke has much to be proud ofAlexanderLuke has much to be proud of

Very cool that this exists for teams to get from a COTS supplier! It's great that this came together.

I realize that the Greyt Roller Claw is a fairly flexible design as you mention, but I am curious to know if any actual testing has been done with an assembled version, some sort of intake wheel setup, and the Power Cubes. I can understand if it hasn't been tested considering the timeline you and WCP were trying to complete, and of course, there still needs to be some things for teams figure out!

Last edited by AlexanderLuke : 01-19-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Changed for clarity.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:01 PM
Preemptively banned from Minnesota
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

i have a good feeling that this thread will be extremely on line discourse

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:02 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

While I support more generic COTS items like the multitude of elevator kits that are on the market this year, a COTS component designed as a specific game piece manipulator rubs me the wrong way.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:05 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderLuke View Post
Very cool that this exists for teams to get from a COTS supplier! It's great that this came together.

I realize that the Greyt Roller Claw is a fairly flexible design as you mention, but I am curious to know if any actual testing has been done with an assembled version, some sort of intake wheel setup, and the Power Cubes. I can understand if it hasn't been tested considering the timeline you and WCP were trying to complete, and of course, there still needs to be some things for teams figure out!
I am confidant the claw has numerous configurations based on wheel type that will work great. It is on the teams to assemble and essentially prototype on the claw by trying different pivot points/lengths and wheel types to dial it in to their purposes.

As cut it has not been tested, but 973 has done many prototypes with analogous dimensions that did work well.

It also has enough adjustment to be just about every ri3d/everybot/etc... intake I have seen publicly displayed thus far.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: #BeTheBest
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoble View Post
  • any larger images?
Here is a higher res image of the GreyT Elevator and of the GreyT Claw.

These are fantastic resources for the FIRST community, not only for Power Up, but for a variety of FRC challenges (any game can use an elevator ). Between this and the WCP MCC, I expect to see the general level of play in Power Up be the highest we've seen in recent FRC history, which is an awesome thing.

I wanna give a huge thanks to Adam and the 973 crew for creating these products and giving teams opportunities to play like the pros without needing the resources of them. This is how you raise the competitive floor. If only such greyt mechanisms were around when I was a student .
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Mr. Paulsen - Huguebots Coach 5202
AKA: Mr. Paulsen
FRC #5202 (The New Ro Bots)

Rookie Year: 2013
rpaulsen has much to be proud ofrpaulsen has much to be proud ofrpaulsen has much to be proud ofrpaulsen has much to be proud ofrpaulsen has much to be proud ofrpaulsen has much to be proud ofrpaulsen has much to be proud ofrpaulsen has much to be proud ofrpaulsen has much to be proud of

Am I right in interpreting the description properly that you choose either the Vex OR the 32DP option, not both?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:22 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulsen View Post
Am I right in interpreting the description properly that you choose either the Vex OR the 32DP option, not both?
Correct!

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:25 PM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
Darn, I desperately need decent COTS solution that allows for cascading with 1x1 aluminum, I got my hopes up for a second there...
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:27 PM
AKA: Keven
FRC #2789

Rookie Year: 2014
hydraskull is a splendid one to beholdhydraskull is a splendid one to beholdhydraskull is a splendid one to beholdhydraskull is a splendid one to beholdhydraskull is a splendid one to beholdhydraskull is a splendid one to beholdhydraskull is a splendid one to behold

I like the intent behind this season's COTS releases, where we want to help out the have not teams of FRC and raise the competitive floor to make this competition more enjoyable for everyone. I just don't think this is the best way.

The price alone is going to lock out the teams that need this the most, while teams that currently build their own mechanisms might decide it'd just be easier to spend the budget on a kit to get that better build quality and extra practice time. Why spend time and money on from scratch mechanisms that may or may not work as well as something readily available?

In my opinion, this will widen the gap between the haves and have nots; as it is now, a team with drive and determination can overcome some of the limits of budget and resources differences.

I still appreciate the time and commitment people put into the kits this year, I'm sure there will be teams that greatly benefit and will have one of their best years this season.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: