Go to Post Andy Baker is so awsome, that his presence alone at the competition caused the scoring system to crash....multiple times...at all 8 regionals. - Andy Grady [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Unsung FIRST Heroes
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 06:30 PM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
UFH: Amanda Morrison

Thread created automatically to discuss UFH Honoree: Amanda Morrison.

Name: Amanda Morrison
Date Honored: 11-14-2005
Years involved w/FIRST: 5
FIRST Team(s): Beatty International/City of Hammond/PEPSI Americas &, School City of Hammond (0071), NASA/Ball State University & Indiana Academy for Mathematics, Science, and Humanities (1020), NASA / Ball State University &, Muncie-Delaware County Schools (1720)
Role: Administrative Mentor
Quote: "The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Bio: Amanda Morrison has been involved in many facets of FIRST over the past 5 years. Amanda described her various roles in FIRST for us. "When I started in FIRST, I was little more than a moral support cheerleader. After a while, I found my niche helping out with team planning and organization. On 1720, I am serving as an advisor to the team’s administrators, helping out with team logistics, and mentoring students working on our award submissions, as well as preparing the team for competitions. I work with a lot of smaller projects, such as the CollegiateFIRST website, the IndianaFIRST website and organization, and help to plan the Boilermaker Regional and the Indiana Robotics Invitational."

Amanda's favorite FIRST memory comes from her first season as a mentor. "The first year I was a mentor, I had a lot of trouble fitting into that role. I still wanted to be a kid, and in retrospect, I jumped in a little too soon and was blinded by my fervor for FIRST. I joined on a local budding team at a private school and tried to get my university involved. That first year, working on a very small budget, the kids designed a robot and actually got it in the crate. The problem was that it had some design flaws, and in reality worked very little. At St. Louis in 2003, we were unofficially given then ‘Flying By The Seat Of Their Pants’ award by the queuers for our unorganized and falling-apart robot running to queue seconds before the match started. The kids worked so hard on that robot, working against all odds. Finally, on Saturday morning, they won a match, and were so excited that a few got tears in their eyes. That year, the kids taught ME more than I ever taught them. I learned that a team of people really should be a team, and that those kids wanted that experience so badly that they took everything thrown at them… and that was quite a lot. The team lasted three years, feeding on nothing but the will of the students to make it happen, at any cost. It is a tremendous feeling watching this happen right in front of you, and in the long run I was incredibly inspired by their determination."

Amanda has given much to FIRST, but feels that FIRST has given much more to her. "I’ve been fortunate enough to work with people who genuinely care about students and this program. I’ve been on teams that are more like family than just getting together to build robots. I haven’t succeeded in all the ways I would have liked to, but I am continually trying to give back what FIRST has given to me. Before I joined FIRST, going to college was a big ‘maybe’ leaning more towards ‘no way’. This was even in the middle of my senior year of high school, when most of my friends had planned out the next 5 years of their lives. I realized I really needed to ante up and do something with my life, and sticking around my hometown at a dead-end job wasn’t going to do it. I have never, ever regretted my decision. I have met so many people that have helped me along the way, and I consider these great friends to be one of the best aspects of my life."

Amanda is known for having a way with words, which can be seen by her fantastic description of FIRST for an outsider. "If you excite someone’s interests in engineering, you’ve done well. If you turn a meek teenager into a chanting, cheering, pink body-painted ball of engineering and problem solving intensity who can’t wait the 193 days until the next build season, you’ve done FIRST."

Amanda had this piece of advice for all her fellow FIRSTers. "FIRST isn’t easy, we all know that. However, we all need to take advantage of the opportunities that FIRST readily gives us, especially the students. No other program will allow you to receive tremendous scholarships, network in your field, and get a head start on your peers quite like FIRST does. Don’t forget that this program is for you, and make sure you grab opportunity by the horns and hang on tight. Treat FIRST and your career like a rollercoaster – when you’re done with the ride, get off and think, “Man, what a rush.” "

Congratulations to Amanda Morrison, our 46th Unsung FIRST Hero.

Nominated By: Kristen Kelso, Arefin Bari, Josh Hambright

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 11-12-2013 at 08:02 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 06:30 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain
Re: UFH: Amanda Morrison

Congratulations Amanda! You totally deserve this. Thanks for the help and support you have given in the past.

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 06:35 PM
FRC 812/3476 Mentor
AKA: George
FRC #0812 (Midnight Mechanics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
DCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Amanda! Thanks for all the stuff you do Oh and for being a generally nice human being.

P.S. You do have better legs than Dave.

2001-2005 FRC294 Beach Cities Robotics
2005-Present FRC812 Midnight Mechanics
2012, 2014 FRC3476 Code Orange
2003-Present Volunteer, FRC/FTC/FLL/VRC

NEMO | San Diego Regional | Orange County Regional | FIRST California
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 06:50 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Amanda! It's great to see you get some recognition for all the hard work you've put in.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Grow Up? Why?
no team

Steve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond repute

Amanda Who?

Just kidding. Amanda I am one of many who have had the privilege to meet and talk with you. You are an beacon in FIRST and deserve this recognition Congrats on receiving this honor.

I do question the "Unsung" part. Think back to Wonderland 2004.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:04 PM
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Collin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Amanda. Working with you at BMR and IRI these last two years has been great. The talent show just keeps getting better.

Congrats again!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:17 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Congratulations Amanda! It's because of hardworking individuals like you that FIRST is the program that it is today!

www.firstinspires.org | www.nefirst.org | www.firstnemo.org

Helping mentors since 2004
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely deserved, not only what she does for her team but young FIRSTers in general. Very few people would be willing to sit down and read a bunch of chairmans by teams and scholarship applications by students.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Wake Up Get Up Get Out There
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the official grammer/spelling enforcer of CD. It's amazing how much you've helped me with spelling. Amanda, you deserve this. Again, same with Ken, you should have gotten this much sooner.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Disgruntled Alumni
no team

Jay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Amanda, You really do deserve this for all of your hard work towards and dedication to FIRST. Not only are you a figurehead on these forums but throughout FIRST. in general. Congratulations once again Amanda, you really do deserve this.

Jay
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:41 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Holy moly... wait... it's AMANDA MORRRRRRRRRIIIISSSOOONNNN!!!!!! I think I have asked her and the committee to select her as UFH many times, she refused every single time. I am so glad to see the committee has chosen her to be the UFH.

You definitely deserve this honor Amanda, I am so glad that you are finally the UFH. Congratulations...
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

In my entire life I have come across a number of people that fall into the intersection set of all these phrases:
Vomit Comet - Movies of little rockets - I'm still waiting for my scarf - Krispy Kremes - Dancing the Funky Chicken - Regional Competition Organizing Committee - Greenville Texas - I need a ride to the airport again! -
Talent Show Coordinator of the Talentless - More Krispy Kremes - Gene Kranz - Mouse costumes - I still have the best legs - Special rocks named for flamingoes - 50MPH in a 30MPH zone - Recommendations - Did I mention Krispy Kremes? - I'll edit your English homework - and so many other items...

But then when you throw in "amazingly dedicated, intellectually agressive, never-say-die, impressively creative, works harder than almost any other human being" as a final filter, only one person remains. Congratulations, Amanda, this is so very very very much deserved.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Ricky Q.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
yee haw!
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Ricky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Q.

When I think of UFH and what it stands for, I think of Amanda Morrison. Not only because she helped create this great honor for the FIRST community, but because she is the epitome of what it is all about.

I have met a lot of people through FIRST and only a handful of them have made an impact on me like Amanda has. The hard work she puts into everything that she does for FIRST and the people in it is amazing. She has inspired me to become a better person through her actions. Not only is she an amazing FIRSTer, she is an amazing friend.

Thank you for all you have done, and congratulations. You definitely deserve this.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

Congratulations Amanda!

Of course I'm now about the 9th person to say this but you deserve this with all the effort you've put into FIRST and ChiefDelphi these past several years.

Plus I kan't forget all tha worc u put inta the spellchec on these phorums.
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:59 PM
...misses her old team.
AKA: BurningQuestion
FRC #0716 (The Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Jaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jaine Perotti Send a message via MSN to Jaine Perotti Send a message via Yahoo to Jaine Perotti

Wow. Cingratulations Amanda. You definitely deserve this honor. You are an inspiration to me and many others. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication. It has touched the lives of many people.

-- Jaine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: