Go to Post We all need to keep things in perspective. When you look back at the entire 2005 FIRST season, is your entire experience defined by the presence of a little cloth flag on the play field? - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Unsung FIRST Heroes
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Christopher Fultz
Christopher Fultz Name: Christopher Fultz
Date Honored: 07-14-2004
Years involved w/FIRST: 4
FIRST Team(s): Allison Transmission/Rolls-Royce/and 74 Proud Grandmas &, Perry Meridian High School (0234)
Role: Mentor
Quote: Not everything worth doing is worth doing well.
Bio: Chris Fultz is an outstanding member of Team #234, CyberBlue, and coordinator for the Indiana Robotics Invitational. Chris is an above-and-beyond mentor, getting involved in Indianapolis robotics and the FIRST community on many levels. Chris describes his activities and advice below.

Chris goes well beyond working only with his team. Chris is involved with numerous programs and activities. He tells us, "within Team 234, I work with organizing the team and creating the team schedules. The main group I work with is the outward facing side of the team – Public relations, the Chairman’s package prep team, FIRST International Partners and coordination with some of our sponsors. I also schedule and try to coordinate our design reviews during the build season. I lead the “pneumatics team” – and take lots of grief over it. Within Rolls-Royce, I am a member of the Engineering Education Committee. This group is responsible for our Co-Op program, Internships, support of graduate students and coordination with universities, plus Project Lead the Way. I am the “FIRST Robotics Coordinator”, which is a new role in the past year. I am trying to increase our support of local FIRST teams (financial, engineers, other resources) and let students know about all of the opportunities at Rolls-Royce. For example, we have about 60 active Co-Op students, plus several interns. Robotics alumni have an edge for these positions. I am helping to organize our support for the Purdue Regional in 2005. This year, I am the leader of the organizing committee for the IRI and representing Team 234. I am enjoying working with Libby Ritchie (393) and Andy Baker (45) and helping make the IRI an exciting event and much more than just a robot competition."

Chris also has many accomplishments under his belt for his 4 years of FIRST. This includes "helping the team create their Chairman’s Award package and working with the presentation team on how to do well in their interviews, being a part of the IRI planning and organizing committee, leading the “FIRST Robotics Team Coordination” for Rolls-Royce and helping increase the company’s support to include all Indianapolis area teams, implementing a formal ‘gated review’ process for the team (and then seeing that it actually worked), and feeling like I am making a positive difference in the lives of an already great group of students." Quite an impressive list!

When asked to pick a quote for this page, Chris had a different answer than most. "I like quotes that can change meaning, depending on your perspective, and make you think a bit: “The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.” “Don’t confuse speed with velocity.” “Begin with the end in mind” and my latest favorite, “Not everything worth doing is worth doing well”. This one contradicts most of the conventional advise and motivation posters, but I think is very true. Our challenge as engineers is to know when we should be done. There is always a desire to strive for perfection and that is not always the right answer. Sometimes we just have to ‘get it done’ and move on."

Finally, Chris has some advice for fellow FIRST students and mentors. "FIRST is an important thing, but it is not the only thing. Focus on academics if you really want to be an engineer. Your FIRST involvement will be a bonus – but it won’t get you into school. If you excel at FIRST but really suffer academically then you will have a tough time getting into a top school and an even tougher time getting out. Try to see the bigger picture – the robot is almost a distraction – focus on the learning, on teamwork, on defending your ideas, on being proud of what you have done, and on the friendships you can develop. The FIRST experience is so much more than 2 minute robot matches."

Congratulations to Chris Fultz, our 16th Unsung FIRST Hero.

Nominated By: Collin Fultz

Share stories, congratulate, etc.