OCCRA
Go to Post Even as a "mentor", I am still being mentored by engineers who work with the team. - Tom Bottiglieri [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Unsung FIRST Heroes
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Michael Martus
Michael Martus Name: Michael Martus
Date Honored: 11-01-2004
Years involved w/FIRST: 10
FIRST Team(s): Delphi/DaimlerChrysler &, Pontiac Central High School (0047)
Role: Teacher
Quote: ďIf the girls donít find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.Ē - Red Green
Bio: Mike Martus is a well-known FIRST icon. A ten-year member of ChiefDelphi (#47), Mike is always hard at work with the team at every event. He is a driving force behind team 47, and an inspiring presence on these boards.

Mike has a great FIRST memory to share with us. "That will have to be when we won the Chairmanís Award at the Nationals in 1997. We worked very hard that year to bring as many innovative ideas to reality, a total team effort. One outstanding program we had was the C.A.D.E.T. (Children Aspiring to Develop Engineering Talent). We were the very first FIRST team to reach out to middle and elementary school students to get them involved in FIRST like experiences. This was the forerunner to the now popular Lego League. Winning the Chairmanís Award has set our focus and team direction to this very day. That event by far was very special to my team and me. There are many other memories associated with FIRST, thatís what makes the FIRST program so special."

Mike also gave us a list of special accomplishments by him and his team. "I have been involved in many aspects of FIRST from the very start. Leading Rookie workshops in Manchester for new teams, mentoring many local schools to start teams, working as a volunteer on many FIRST committees, pushing for ideas that will help teams, to name just a few. Of recent years I have served as Inspector and Lead Inspector at several local and distant FIRST events. Giving back to the Community of FIRST is a very important concept. If FIRST is to sustain and grow it will need a payback of all we have learned as being part of FIRST. Sharing our wealth of knowledge is critical. I would like to list here the many students I have been privileged to know and work with as a result of the FIRST program. If I have made a difference in just one student, then that is my greatest accomplishment in FIRST."

As if Mike's mentorship wasn't inspiring enough, he also had some words of advice: "The FIRST experience can lead the student to see the world through a different set of eyes. Many students do not think they can be successful because they have not been given the opportunity to excel. Mentorship by FIRST Teachers and Engineers gives the extra excitement that otherwise may not be seen by the student. Advice: So FIRST-ers open your eyes, listen to your mentors, and see the world for what it can be for you. Make this world a better place as a result of you."

Congratulations to Mike Martus, a great supporter of the FIRST program and our 23rd Unsung FIRST Hero.

Nominated By: Psalms(118:6)

Share stories, congratulate, etc.