OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST is not a "buy it and build it kit robot" competition. - sanddrag [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > CD-Media > Photos
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

photos

papers

everything



Average Dig

Richard Wallace

By: Richard Wallace
New: 07-31-2018 05:45 PM
Updated: 07-31-2018 05:45 PM
Views: 918 times


Average Dig

So, the Average Joes and Joebots have broken ground for a new robotics building. It will host FRC and FTC for our school district, including practice areas for both programs. The 100' x 70' new building will occupy most of our former parking lot, and will connect to our school's existing Career and Technical Education wing.

Will post updates as the construction moves forward.

Recent Viewers

Discussion

view entire thread

Reply

08-01-2018 09:02 AM

cbale2000


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Nice! My team is raising money to do something similar. Keep us posted on the progress.

Out of curiosity, do you have an estimated timeline for completion? What do you expect it to cost (for the structure at least)? And what kind of structure are you building?

We're looking into building what amounts to a glorified 60'x80' pole barn (insulated, of course), but I'm always interested to know what other teams have done for their own workspaces.



08-01-2018 09:22 AM

tanman172000


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

There has also been a lot of talk about building a facility similar to that in Lapeer, MI. It has been imaged as a multi room structure. There would be a community machine shop, and 5 or so separate rooms for any team looking for a building facility in Lapeer county. All of these would lead to a practice field in the center of the building in which all teams could work on auton and hold scrims against each other. Sadly this was my final year on the team so I won't be there to experience the planning/building of the structure, but I am excited to see what they do in the future.



08-01-2018 09:25 AM

cbale2000


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman172000 View Post
There has also been a lot of talk about building a facility similar to that in Lapeer, MI. It has been imaged as a multi room structure. There would be a community machine shop, and 5 or so separate rooms for any team looking for a building facility in Lapeer county. All of these would lead to a practice field in the center of the building in which all teams could work on auton and hold scrims against each other.
With air conditioning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman172000 View Post
Sadly this was my final year on the team so I won't be there to experience the planning/building of the structure, but I am excited to see what they do in the future.
There's always the option to come back as a mentor!



08-01-2018 09:49 AM

tanman172000


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
With air conditioning?



There's always the option to come back as a mentor!
Yes there will be air conditioning
I also will be attending Michigan Tech. up in South Canada so I could help out 5460 in the summer. During school I plan on helping team 857 as much as I can.



08-01-2018 10:25 AM

Chadfrom308


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Congrats! Our team is investigating getting a community field somewhere. Lots of work and cost! Congrats!



08-01-2018 10:37 AM

ngreen


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Nice on the groundbreaking. After moving this year, I can tell that amount of space would be very good, maybe ideal, for my team. We have to compromise a bit with a little more than half that space, but I'm very happy with the room the school is providing us, likely on a permanent basis. Also, as I see it we are adjacent to other spaces that if we are successful might become available, so that is a long-term goal.

Also, I've been working in our new space over the summer, including some days topping 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and we have no air conditioning. So it is a bit funny to see the talk of air conditioning in Michigan, where the average summer temperatures are 10 degrees cooler. Between the old and new building, the new one has very good insulation, which keeps the building fairly comfortable (we still use some fans to circulate the air a little and the air can get a little humid at times). The building does have heat for build season.



08-01-2018 10:47 AM

Chadfrom308


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
With air conditioning?
The real question is does it have Heating in the winter?! Michigan winters can be brutal



08-01-2018 03:49 PM

cbale2000


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfrom308 View Post
The real question is does it have Heating in the winter?! Michigan winters can be brutal
True Story: we actually investigated what it would cost to put in-floor heating in when we build ours, for exactly this reason (might be more efficient too, given the type of structure).



08-01-2018 03:56 PM

gerthworm


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Your contractor has good taste in construction equipment.



08-01-2018 05:18 PM

ngreen


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post
Your contractor has good taste in construction equipment.
whoo woo whoo woo whoo woo whoo woo



08-02-2018 12:07 PM

Monochron


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post
Your contractor has good taste in construction equipment.
Few times, they've been around that track.



08-04-2018 10:27 AM

Richard Wallace


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
Nice! My team is raising money to do something similar. Keep us posted on the progress.

Out of curiosity, do you have an estimated timeline for completion? What do you expect it to cost (for the structure at least)? And what kind of structure are you building?

We're looking into building what amounts to a glorified 60'x80' pole barn (insulated, of course), but I'm always interested to know what other teams have done for their own workspaces.
Thanks! We will post more pictures as the project moves forward.

The design is a pre-engineered steel frame; basically five I-beam trusses spaced at 20 ft. intervals, spanning the full building width. No poles.

Air conditioning and heating are in the plan, using roof-mounted air handlers.

Entrances: at the back include a large overhead door, in the front (facing the street) for student drop-off and pick-up, and to the existing building at the shop doors.



08-04-2018 03:44 PM

SenorZ


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Former parking lot? If a single parking space is harmed for the benefit of a program on my campus there would be a riot.



08-04-2018 04:26 PM

gerthworm


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Checks out.



08-04-2018 08:55 PM

GeeTwo


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
Former parking lot? If a single parking space is harmed for the benefit of a program on my campus there would be a riot.
Most construction in parking lots, especially by public agencies and service businesses, in my experience have been associated with new parking lots (where there is acreage), a parking garage (where there isn't), or a taller parking garage (where there hasn't been for some time). OK, one construction project at Stennis Space Center brought a vanpool program; it didn't catch on quickly enough and they eventually built another lot.



08-05-2018 12:01 PM

Richard Wallace


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
Former parking lot? If a single parking space is harmed for the benefit of a program on my campus there would be a riot.
You have my sympathy. Part of my youth was mis-spent in SoCal. During much of that I bicycled to work and avoided parking issues. Once I rented an apartment in Hermosa Beach, specifically because it had a gated underground parking garage. One of the pop songs on the radio back then proclaimed "nobody walks in L.A."

OTOH, here in our sleepy little community of 12,000 or so, on the southeastern shore of Lake Michigan, we have a beautiful beach that I think rivals those of SoCal -- for a few months a year. The rest of the time it resembles Antarctica. Parking spaces are at a premium during basketball games, and at our FiM District FRC event, and concerts, and a few other times each year. However, at a big-picture level our parking situation is nothing like yours.

Anyway, yes, we are sacrificing several parking spaces.



08-05-2018 07:58 PM

NoshBrooks


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
Former parking lot? If a single parking space is harmed for the benefit of a program on my campus there would be a riot.
The lot is usually empty as it's normally used as teacher and faculty only parking. A few students (including myself) have special graces to park back there during the build season so we don't have to move our cars from the student lot (FIRST world problems...).

I have a strong feeling that administration will not be renewing my parking pass for the 2019 season.



08-07-2018 10:45 AM

Kevin Ainsworth


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Congrats, it amazes me at the difference between commitment to robotics and STEM in different states. It would take a miracle to get something like this in our part of Illinois. Hence the fact that we are an independent team. Which does have the upside of allowing all students from public and home schooling in our region to join our team.



08-07-2018 11:08 AM

Fields


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman172000 View Post
Yes there will be air conditioning
I also will be attending Michigan Tech. up in South Canada so I could help out 5460 in the summer. During school I plan on helping team 857 as much as I can.
W00t MTU! Winter Carnaval and BROOMBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, when you get the chance, join an Enterprise rather than a senior design team.



08-07-2018 02:58 PM

sanddrag


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Curious on the total budget for this project and if there are any design drawings or renderings to share.



08-08-2018 11:40 AM

Wayne TenBrink


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Congratulations! This will be a great benefit to your already-strong program. You will wonder how you ever got by without it.

I have been to your school several times, but never when there were leaves on the trees. Where is this located relative to the main/visitor entrance and parking lots?



08-08-2018 12:48 PM

Richard Wallace


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne TenBrink View Post
I have been to your school several times, but never when there were leaves on the trees. Where is this located relative to the main/visitor entrance and parking lots?
The former parking lot was just outside the shop doors, at the southeast corner of the SJHS campus. The machine shop for our District competition is there, reached by a sloping sidewalk from the team lunch area.

For reference, our main event entrance, gyms, stadium, and tennis courts are on the northwest corner of campus. There is ample parking over there, except during football games.



08-08-2018 03:38 PM

GaryVoshol


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
For reference, our main event entrance, gyms, stadium, and tennis courts are on the northwest corner of campus. There is ample parking over there, except during football games.
And except during Districts? I'm going to have to get over there some time to check it out.



08-08-2018 06:35 PM

P.J.


Unread Re: pic: Average Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVoshol View Post
And except during Districts? I'm going to have to get over there some time to check it out.
I agree. St Joe is one of the only districts I HAVEN'T reffed in Michigan at this point...



view entire thread

Reply
previous
next

Tags

loading ...



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi