OCCRA
Go to Post Just the fact we were selected to compete in the eliminations energized the kids more than anything I had seen - Taylor [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > CD-Media > Photos
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

photos

papers

everything



Championship Cities Driving Distances

AriMB

By: AriMB
New: 11-08-2018 08:40 AM
Updated: 11-08-2018 08:40 AM
Views: 962 times


Championship Cities Driving Distances

Map of average driving distances for North American teams to possible FIRST Championship locations.

Discussion

view entire thread

Reply

11-08-2018 09:45 AM

AriMB


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Based on the maps lbl1371 and Skyehawk posted a while ago, I attempted to make a map showing the "best" city to host FIRST Championship using 2018 team data. I plotted the 100 most populus US cities (well 99, excluding Honolulu), and calculated the average driving time for all North American teams to that city. According to my calculations, the best city is a tie between Chocago, IL and Fort Wayne, IN with a average drive times of 14.18 hrs. The worst city (other than Honolulu, HI and Anchorage, AK), is San Fransico, CA at 32.89 hrs. The full list is at the bottom of the post. You can also find driving distance maps for each city here. The code and raw data used to gather/generate these data and graphs can be found here for anyone interested.

Some FAQs:

How did you calculate driving times for each team?
I used the OSRM API to calculate the routes. You input the the starting and ending coordinates and some settings, and it returns driving directions, waypoint coordinates, and the time and distance it takes.

Did you really calculate driving directions for every team-city combination?
Well no, that would be 3617*100 = 361,700 API calls! What I did was calculate the closest county center (for US teams) or major city (for Canada/Mexico teams), and then count how many teams are in each county/city. I only calculated the drive times for counties/cities with teams, about 890 of them (quartering the number of API calls). To calculate the average driving time for each Championship city, I simply took a weighted average of the drive times for each county/city, weighted by the number of teams in that county/city.

How long did this take to calculate?
About 27 hours. Yes, really.

But [instert city here] doesn't have a(n) [international airport, large convention center, suitable stadium, etc.]
This map only deals with the best cities as far as driving distances are concerned. I don't know much about most of the cities on the list, and can't comment on the viability of any of them for actually holding a Championship.

Where did you get the locations of all of the teams?
The team locations were taken from FIRSTmap, which as I understand calculated them from locations in TBA. I take no responsibility for the accuracy of this data.

Doesn't this not matter in the age of 2-Champs?
Don't remind me. The actual answer is no, it still does have some bearing. FIRST could decide to hold multiple champs back-to-back in the same city to save on transoprtation and set-up costs. In that case, this would be important information.

How can you have Frequently Asked Questions if you've never shown this to anyone before?



Here's the raw data shown in the graph:

Code:
City			AvgTime
FortWayne		14.18
Chicago			14.18
Indianapolis		14.20
Toledo			14.29
Cincinnati		14.52
Columbus		14.59
StLouis			14.69
Detroit			14.72
Louisville		14.83
Cleveland		14.84
Milwaukee		14.96
Lexington		14.98
DesMoines		15.18
Madison			15.25
Nashville		15.47
Pittsburgh		15.55
KansasCity		15.64
Omaha			16.01
Memphis			16.23
Lincoln			16.26
Buffalo			16.29
SaintPaul		16.56
Minneapolis		16.67
Tulsa			16.78
Wichita			17.05
Atlanta			17.30
WinstonSalem		17.31
Washington		17.34
Baltimore		17.40
OklahomaCity		17.49
Greensboro		17.50
Charlotte		17.59
Richmond		17.96
Durham			17.99
Philadelphia		18.01
Raleigh			18.28
Newark			18.35
JerseyCity		18.47
Garland			18.78
Dallas			18.78
Plano			18.80
NewYork			18.86
Irving			18.92
FortWorth		19.04
Arlington		19.05
Norfolk			19.07
Chesapeake		19.29
VirginiaBeach		19.38
BatonRouge		19.48
NewOrleans		19.48
Aurora			19.78
Denver			19.81
ColoradoSprings		20.23
Jacksonville		20.49
Lubbock			20.54
Houston			20.70
Austin			20.80
Boston			20.83
SanAntonio		21.61
Albuquerque		22.00
Orlando			22.40
Tampa			22.66
StPetersburg		22.98
CorpusChristi		23.27
Laredo			23.61
ElPaso			23.62
Miami			25.39
Hialeah			25.40
Tucson			26.21
Mesa			26.34
Chandler		26.41
Scottsdale		26.43
Gilbert			26.45
Phoenix			26.53
Glendale		26.55
NorthLasVegas		26.68
LasVegas		26.80
Henderson		26.82
Boise			27.29
Riverside		29.14
Anaheim			29.49
Reno			29.62
Irvine			29.66
SantaAna		29.69
LongBeach		29.81
Bakersfield		29.96
LosAngeles		29.99
SanDiego		29.99
ChulaVista		30.12
Sacramento		30.86
Stockton		31.26
Fresno			31.32
Oakland			31.80
SanJose			32.05
Fremont			32.10
Seattle			32.38
Portland		32.43
SanFrancisco		32.89
Anchorage		68.78



11-08-2018 11:58 AM

Chris is me


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Chicago would be an excellent location for a world championship. I'm surprised it hasn't come up more often before.

There are two major international airports in town, with frequent rapid transit service between either of them and downtown.

McCormick Place, while surely expensive to rent out, is an absolutely massive convention center with interconnected buildings, potential to seat tens of thousands. It is a couple of blocks from two major rapid transit lines (and surely for a big event like Champs shuttle buses to them could be an option), plus there is a Metra line that stops literally within the venue (less frequent service / more expensive).

You could have Einstein in the same venue; no shuttling everyone miles away for three matches. If you absolutely had to have Einstein in a sports stadium instead of a conference center that has seating for tens of thousands, Soldier Field isn't very far away at all - closer than Ford Field is to Cobo.



11-08-2018 12:10 PM

Jared Russell


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Neat. Now tell me which two cities should be chosen (as well as a mapping from team to Championship) in order to minimize average travel distance assuming a 50/50 split.

This one might take more than 27 hours



11-08-2018 12:15 PM

Taylor


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Russell View Post
Neat. Now tell me which two cities should be chosen (as well as a mapping from team to Championship) in order to minimize average travel distance assuming a 50/50 split.

This one might take more than 27 hours
Indianapolis and Indianapolis.

With 26 hours and 58 minutes to spare.



11-08-2018 12:20 PM

Jon Stratis


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

I could get behind Chicago. Only a 6 hour drive for me, much better than paying for plane tickets like I do now!



11-08-2018 12:27 PM

PayneTrain


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

FIRST's roots are as deeply intertwined with Illinois and Indiana as they are with New England. I would love to go to champs in either Chicago or Indy. It's a crime Indy has been knowingly passed over.



11-08-2018 01:52 PM

Bkeeneykid


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Chicago would be an excellent location for a world championship. I'm surprised it hasn't come up more often before.

There are two major international airports in town, with frequent rapid transit service between either of them and downtown.

McCormick Place, while surely expensive to rent out, is an absolutely massive convention center with interconnected buildings, potential to seat tens of thousands. It is a couple of blocks from two major rapid transit lines (and surely for a big event like Champs shuttle buses to them could be an option), plus there is a Metra line that stops literally within the venue (less frequent service / more expensive).

You could have Einstein in the same venue; no shuttling everyone miles away for three matches. If you absolutely had to have Einstein in a sports stadium instead of a conference center that has seating for tens of thousands, Soldier Field isn't very far away at all - closer than Ford Field is to Cobo.
I think honestly the biggest issue with McCormick Place is the hotels. Frankly, there's just not enough right there in the convention center (though there's certainly more being built all the time), and the immediate area isn't too terrible, but I just don't think there's enough centrally located hotels to make it worth while. Also, for a half champ, McCormick Place is _far_ too large. Even if you stuffed all the programs under that roof, expanded the qualifications more, there is still just frankly, too much space to be used.

Another issue is where you would host Einstein. The attached Wintrust arena isn't large enough, and I don't think you could host it inside the convention center itself. There's Soldier Field somewhat nearby, but that's open air. The amount of covered fields in Chicago big enough to host the final closing ceremony is surprisingly lackluster, so much so that I'm yet to find a suitable venue that's large enough.



11-08-2018 02:45 PM

Chris is me


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkeeneykid View Post
I think honestly the biggest issue with McCormick Place is the hotels. Frankly, there's just not enough right there in the convention center (though there's certainly more being built all the time), and the immediate area isn't too terrible, but I just don't think there's enough centrally located hotels to make it worth while.
I think between the Loop hotels (for the spendy teams), abundant hotels by the airports, and the locations closest to the venue, there's a lot to go around. The Blue and Orange Lines are certainly reliable enough to bring teams from the airport hotels into the city without worrying about getting stuck in traffic. Admittedly I haven't put in the hours for thorough research.

Quote:
Also, for a half champ, McCormick Place is _far_ too large. Even if you stuffed all the programs under that roof, expanded the qualifications more, there is still just frankly, too much space to be used.

Another issue is where you would host Einstein. The attached Wintrust arena isn't large enough, and I don't think you could host it inside the convention center itself. There's Soldier Field somewhat nearby, but that's open air. The amount of covered fields in Chicago big enough to host the final closing ceremony is surprisingly lackluster, so much so that I'm yet to find a suitable venue that's large enough.
I don't think Wintrust is necessarily too small (at least for a half-champ). But one idea would be to use one of the larger ballrooms with bleachers as your Einstein-type venue. Not a traditional stadium per se, but there's enough room for tens of thousands of people absolutely, and that kind of thing has been done in the venue before if I understand correctly.

I'm sure smarter people than me have put thought into Chicago and ruled it out for good reasons like the ones you've mentioned, but I thought it was worth discussing.



11-08-2018 03:28 PM

Richard Wallace


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
FIRST's roots are as deeply intertwined with Illinois and Indiana as they are with New England. I would love to go to champs in either Chicago or Indy. It's a crime Indy has been knowingly passed over.
Indy ran a strong second to St. Louis back in '09. Public transportation was one of the deciding factors then. Venue comparison was another -- STL would not win on that basis now. There will be a similar long-term effect anywhere FIRST decides to go because venues age and have to be upgraded or replaced -- and major sports franchises have nearly all of the influence on that.

Back to the OP -- I like looking at these maps; however, driving distance may not be the right metric for CMP or 1/2 CMPs or Super Regionals, as it must be for siting regionals or districts. Many participants fly to the big show.



11-08-2018 04:09 PM

AriMB


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Russell View Post
Neat. Now tell me which two cities should be chosen (as well as a mapping from team to Championship) in order to minimize average travel distance assuming a 50/50 split.

This one might take more than 27 hours
As a matter of fact, I can do it in about 4 hours.

There are 4950 combinations of 99 possible Championship cities. That's (99 nCr 2) = 4851 plus 99 more for holding both Championships in the same location.

For each pair, I sorted the list of counties/cities by the difference between the driving time to each Championship city. I split the list at the half point, producing two lists, each with the driving times for about half the teams to their closer Championship. The average driving time to the Championship pair is then the sum of both lists divided by the total number of teams. (code here)

The results were too long to reasonably embed in this post, so you can find them here. The best pair is Cleveland, OH and Oklahoma City, OK at 11.09 hrs. Detroit/Houston is in the 8th percentile (#380) at 12.44 hrs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
Back to the OP -- I like looking at these maps; however, driving distance may not be the right metric for CMP or 1/2 CMPs or Super Regionals, as it must be for siting regionals or districts. Many participants fly to the big show.
You're probably right. Unfortunately, I can't reasonably predict what % of teams will fly at a given driving time, or the duration/price of flights between airports. Honestly, that's too big of a rabbit hole for me to jump into. Meanwhile, a long driving time is probably an okay stand-in for having to fly to your Championship.



11-08-2018 07:29 PM

Skyehawk


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Russell View Post
Neat. Now tell me which two cities should be chosen (as well as a mapping from team to Championship) in order to minimize average travel distance assuming a 50/50 split.

This one might take more than 27 hours
For a pair of cities with (known acceptable) venues

Indianapolis and Denver is a very strong combo.
https://i.imgur.com/CjKjNFn.jpg




As is Indianapolis and Las Vegas (I have not factored in air-fare)
https://i.imgur.com/MdF67Sq.jpg



11-08-2018 10:10 PM

Dan T.


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I think between the Loop hotels (for the spendy teams), abundant hotels by the airports, and the locations closest to the venue, there's a lot to go around. The Blue and Orange Lines are certainly reliable enough to bring teams from the airport hotels into the city without worrying about getting stuck in traffic. Admittedly I haven't put in the hours for thorough research.
Although I like your idea, for a lot of teams, public transportation is iffy at best, for our team, at least, it is too much of a risk (and a hassle) to get a large group of students on public transport, with other teams, in a large, unknown city where anything could happen.

Also I would kill to only have to drive an hour for champs



11-08-2018 10:13 PM

bobbysq


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkeeneykid View Post
Another issue is where you would host Einstein. The attached Wintrust arena isn't large enough, and I don't think you could host it inside the convention center itself. There's Soldier Field somewhat nearby, but that's open air. The amount of covered fields in Chicago big enough to host the final closing ceremony is surprisingly lackluster, so much so that I'm yet to find a suitable venue that's large enough.
The arenas the Blackhawks and Bulls (if they aren't the same one) play in should have plenty of seating, and would allow everyone to have a good view of the field. I think there would even be enough space to hold the pits and 2 fields, if they wanted to do all of Einstein in there.



11-08-2018 10:50 PM

orangemoore


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysq View Post
The arenas the Blackhawks and Bulls (if they aren't the same one) play in should have plenty of seating, and would allow everyone to have a good view of the field. I think there would even be enough space to hold the pits and 2 fields, if they wanted to do all of Einstein in there.
The United Center would be great. However, the NHL and NBA would both be in the postseason making the venue (nearly) impossible to book



11-09-2018 12:49 AM

AriMB


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
For a pair of cities with (known acceptable) venues

Indianapolis and Denver is a very strong combo.

As is Indianapolis and Las Vegas (I have not factored in air-fare)
Did you calculate average driving time (or some other metric that accounts for team distribution) for these city pairs? As far as I can see, these maps donít take that into account. Iím interested in seeing how well your data matches mine.

Also, if Iím not mistaken, you currently have teams always going to their closer Championship regardless of the distribution that creates. So for Indianapolis and Las Vegas there are more than 3x as many teams going to Indy than Vegas. Obviously in the real world thatís not feasible. I wonder how your numbers would change if you forced the division to be about equal.



11-09-2018 07:27 AM

Andrew Schreiber


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post

You're probably right. Unfortunately, I can't reasonably predict what % of teams will fly at a given driving time, or the duration/price of flights between airports. Honestly, that's too big of a rabbit hole for me to jump into. Meanwhile, a long driving time is probably an okay stand-in for having to fly to your Championship.
Man. Rabbit hole is the nicest thing Iíve been called on here lately.

Realistically, I bet thereís some sort of number where ďno longer practical to dri eĒ comes in. Gut feel-

0-50 miles no hotel needed
50-600 miles driving
600+ flying


Ideally youíd want to minimize the number of people flying as itís likely the highest cost (and highest carbon foot print? Idk. Crap looks like I have another metric to add) and maximize people who donít need a hotel. If I were doing this Iíd add some sort of weightingís on these and compute that way.

Keep up the good work. Itís all purely academic because we donít have available the schedules for the venues but itís still a fun experiment.



11-09-2018 09:56 AM

synth3tk


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
The results were too long to reasonably embed in this post, so you can find them here. The best pair is Cleveland, OH and Oklahoma City, OK at 11.09 hrs. Detroit/Houston is in the 8th percentile (#380) at 12.44 hrs.
This makes my heart happy. There's a fairly strong case to be made for Cleveland. It's a far cry from when our totally official tourist videos were created. For starters, there are three major sportsball stadiums all within a <2-mile radius, two of them literally right next to each other (with a plaza in the middle that can be sectioned off from traffic). One of those, the Q Arena (basketball/hockey/concerts), is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation as we speak.


Hotels were built up specifically to support the RNC, so there's a lot of options in downtown itself, with plenty more within a 10-15 minute drive (which is way better now that they've redone a lot of the highways leading in to the city). There are a lot of things to do in downtown as well: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, an interactive science museum, children's museum, a theater district, and much more. Food is pretty affordable, and there are a ton of great options.



The one downside I can think of is that CLE isn't an international destination airport anymore for most countries. However, it's only a 40-minute jump from ORD/MDW, and a pretty short flight from DTW as well.



We hosted the RNC with ~50k visitors successfully, and a lot of infrastructure was built up specifically for this event. We've also nabbed the 2019 MLB All-Star Game, which historically brings at least 100k people, if not more.



11-09-2018 10:25 AM

Jon Stratis


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Don't forget about the metro in Cleveland. I haven't used it since I was in college, and it wasn't the nicest thing... but it was reliable and ran on time. I haven't been back to Cleveland since graduation, it would be nice to get back and make a short visit back to Case sometime



11-09-2018 10:48 AM

AriMB


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Man. Rabbit hole is the nicest thing I’ve been called on here lately.

Realistically, I bet there’s some sort of number where “no longer practical to dri e” comes in. Gut feel-

0-50 miles no hotel needed
50-600 miles driving
600+ flying


Ideally you’d want to minimize the number of people flying as it’s likely the highest cost (and highest carbon foot print? Idk. Crap looks like I have another metric to add) and maximize people who don’t need a hotel. If I were doing this I’d add some sort of weighting’s on these and compute that way.

Keep up the good work. It’s all purely academic because we don’t have available the schedules for the venues but it’s still a fun experiment.
Ok so this wasn't too hard if I understand you correctly. I basically just took the same program from before, but instead of just using the driving time I created a function based on the time, called the Championships pair score. Golf rules apply; the lowest score is the "best" city pair. (code here) This score is calculated as follows:

If driving time is over 15 hrs -> score = 22 + (time-15)/4
If driving time is under 15 hrs -> score = time
If driving time is more than 1 hr -> add 3 points to score

This gives a flat rate penalty for having to fly, plus an increasing penalty as flight length increases. And also a flat rate penalty for having to stay in a hotel (or you can think of it as a reward for not having to stay in a hotel). The numbers here were arbitrarily chosen; there's no reason these numbers are any more correct than anyone else's best guess.

The results can be found here. Now the best city pair is Buffalo, NY and Kansas City, MO with a 14.69 score. Detroit/Houston is now in the 9th percentile (#392) with a 16.75 score. For the record, the best single city using this weighted ranking system is Indianapolis, IN at 17.06, which is in the 11th percentile.



11-09-2018 11:32 AM

Skyehawk


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
Did you calculate average driving time (or some other metric that accounts for team distribution) for these city pairs? As far as I can see, these maps don’t take that into account. I’m interested in seeing how well your data matches mine.

Also, if I’m not mistaken, you currently have teams always going to their closer Championship regardless of the distribution that creates. So for Indianapolis and Las Vegas there are more than 3x as many teams going to Indy than Vegas. Obviously in the real world that’s not feasible. I wonder how your numbers would change if you forced the division to be about equal.
Candidate cities were selected via dead reckoning then examining the results. Nothing special. I did include the team distributions on the bottom, this count ONLY reflects teams that could physically drive to the location (i.e. Hawaii or Australia cant drive to Denver). In theory the lower #'s champs would host international teams. This also assumes every team has a equal chance of going to champs. (It would be interesting to run the numbers on the top 50th percentile of teams based on appearance at worlds in the last 4 years (of course normalized for younger teams)).

As far as forcing the division equal - this is difficult as there are hundreds of ways to draw a straight line and get a 50/50 split on team distribution, let alone a near infinite number if you don't have a straight line. Personally I think guess and check is the appropriate way to approach the identification of candidate cities (and let's not even consider #3champs )

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth3tk View Post
This makes my heart happy. There's a fairly strong case to be made for Cleveland. It's a far cry from when our totally official tourist videos were created. For starters, there are three major sportsball stadiums all within a <2-mile radius, two of them literally right next to each other (with a plaza in the middle that can be sectioned off from traffic). One of those, the Q Arena (basketball/hockey/concerts), is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation as we speak.


Hotels were built up specifically to support the RNC, so there's a lot of options in downtown itself, with plenty more within a 10-15 minute drive (which is way better now that they've redone a lot of the highways leading in to the city). There are a lot of things to do in downtown as well: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, an interactive science museum, children's museum, a theater district, and much more. Food is pretty affordable, and there are a ton of great options.

The one downside I can think of is that CLE isn't an international destination airport anymore for most countries. However, it's only a 40-minute jump from ORD/MDW, and a pretty short flight from DTW as well.

We hosted the RNC with ~50k visitors successfully, and a lot of infrastructure was built up specifically for this event. We've also nabbed the 2019 MLB All-Star Game, which historically brings at least 100k people, if not more.
So with the way that #2champs would likely be laid out - Cleveland (which is in a good location) would be the driving champs - stationed such that a large portion of the teams are within ~12 hrs of driving. The other champs would support the international/teams that have to fly. This international accommodating champs would best be located in a city with cheap airfare and decent connectivity (i.e. Las Vegas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Man. Rabbit hole is the nicest thing I’ve been called on here lately.

Realistically, I bet there’s some sort of number where “no longer practical to dri e” comes in. Gut feel-

0-50 miles no hotel needed
50-600 miles driving
600+ flying


Ideally you’d want to minimize the number of people flying as it’s likely the highest cost (and highest carbon foot print? Idk. Crap looks like I have another metric to add) and maximize people who don’t need a hotel. If I were doing this I’d add some sort of weighting’s on these and compute that way.

Keep up the good work. It’s all purely academic because we don’t have available the schedules for the venues but it’s still a fun experiment.
So I would bracket this to minimize number of school/work days missed (i.e. no more than 5 hours off driving after work/school, then you tick into an extra day) this can be balanced with flying.

The carbon footprint is an interesting thing, I can point you to some literature on that topic if interested.

For those interested here is the best combo I have run so far, team distribution to both events is close, even closer if international teams go to Denver (or Las Vegas). The key here is managing the heavy distribution of teams in the NE quadrant of North America, so you are forced to split Minnesota & Texas from Michigan, Indiana & Ontario.
https://i.imgur.com/F50uGU9.jpg



11-09-2018 11:38 AM

Huskie65


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
If driving time is over 15 hrs -> score = 22 + (time-15)/4
If driving time is under 15 hrs -> score = time
If driving time is less than 1 hr -> add 3 points to score
Doesn't that mean driving 1 or 2 hours (1 or 2 points) is scored as better than less than one hour(3 point)? Shouldn't you just add 0 or take points off in that case?



11-09-2018 11:48 AM

AriMB


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskie65 View Post
Doesn't that mean driving 1 or 2 hours (1 or 2 points) is scored as better than less than one hour(3 point)? Shouldn't you just add 0 or take points off in that case?
You're right, I wrote that wrong. I meant to say "more than 1 hr". The calculation was programmed correctly. I changed the original post to reflect that.



11-09-2018 12:02 PM

briansmist


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
The results were too long to reasonably embed in this post, so you can find them here. The best pair is Cleveland, OH and Oklahoma City, OK at 11.09 hrs. Detroit/Houston is in the 8th percentile (#380) at 12.44 hrs.
Exciting (but not surprising) for me to see Buffalo near the top of this list. While I'm not going to go as far as saying Buffalo should be hosting CMP, I think it's conceivable to be in contention eventually, especially since the city just recently announced that they are (probably) going to be building a new convention center.

Things Buffalo has going for it:
- Reasonable driving distance from Michigan, Ontario, NE, and MAR
- Wings
- Reasonably accessible airport
- Tons of hotels and parking downtown
- Public transportation (kinda)



11-09-2018 12:14 PM

Andrew Schreiber


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmist View Post
Exciting (but not surprising) for me to see Buffalo near the top of this list. While I'm not going to go as far as saying Buffalo should be hosting CMP, I think it's conceivable to be in contention eventually, especially since the city just recently announced that they are (probably) going to be building a new convention center.

Things Buffalo has going for it:
- Reasonable driving distance from Michigan, Ontario, NE, and MAR
- Wings
- Reasonably accessible airport
- Tons of hotels and parking downtown
- Public transportation (kinda)
Availability of an NHL arena that there's no way will be in use during the playoffs....



11-09-2018 12:38 PM

Skyehawk


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Availability of an NHL arena that there's no way will be in use during the playoffs....
Got 'em!



11-09-2018 12:41 PM

briansmist


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
Got 'em!
1. Put some respek on the Sabres, this is Our Yearô
2. One of the new convention center proposals suggests a location adjacent to the arena, which would be a reasonably-sized venue



11-09-2018 12:41 PM

cgmv123


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Availability of an NHL arena that there's no way will be in use during the playoffs....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
Got 'em!
The Sabres would be the second Eastern Conference Wild Card team if the playoffs started today.



11-09-2018 12:47 PM

Skyehawk


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmist View Post
1. Put some respek on the Sabres, this is Our Year™
2. One of the new convention center proposals suggests a location adjacent to the arena, which would be a reasonably-sized venue
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmv123 View Post
The Sabres would be the second Eastern Conference Wild Card team if the playoffs started today.
We are just a month into a season that runs until June, that enthusiasm is golden, but hang onto it for a few more months. #gojetsgo



11-09-2018 01:14 PM

synth3tk


Unread Re: pic: Championship Cities Driving Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
Don't forget about the metro in Cleveland. I haven't used it since I was in college, and it wasn't the nicest thing... but it was reliable and ran on time. I haven't been back to Cleveland since graduation, it would be nice to get back and make a short visit back to Case sometime
I didn't want to go on for ages, but yeah, the public transportation has gotten a lot better here. RTA has recently launched realtime APIs, so you can use an app like Transit for more accurate timing. There's also quite a bit of money going into updating some of the bus/rail stations.


Parking can be a bit problematic for larger events, especially with all the buses.



view entire thread

Reply
previous
next

Tags

loading ...



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi