1073 is the best defender in the history of FIRST

THIS. Many lower seeds can get good defense robots. However, if the two scorers on the other alliance can outscore you while being defended, the good defense is wasted. Because of how stacked Curie is, the 4th seed had two of the best scorers on the planet, 195 and 3538, who could match the firepower of 2056 and a defended 1114.

3 Likes

1073 have been outstanding but … they stopped moving in 3 of 8 matches (if you include the match 1 replay) and was responsible for 2 free 12 point climbs.

1 Like

I’m not sure if 2910 played defense at any other point this season but they were extremely good at defense when they decided to play it.

16 Likes

Wow! Three game pieces during teleop for the future champs 973 (and one was after 2910 shifted to offense). That’s some great strategy and driving by 2910. I don’t know if I’d have the guts to put my team on defense if I were 2910.

6 Likes

1073 has had the biggest impact via defensive play on the biggest stage this season. I’ll give them that.

9 Likes

Go watch some 2014 matches if you want to see how good defense can get. 27 shutting down 67 comes to mind, but really just the fact that the elite teams consistently played defense that year put that game in a category of it’s own for defense.

2 Likes

There are games like 2001 and 2015. There are games that have defense. There are games like 2016 where the field defends against you.

And then there’s 2014, Aerial Assault, better known as: "That robot has the ball! ATTAAAAACK!

4 Likes

Every year on Einstein field there’s a defender robot that gets the vaunted title of best defender in FRC history; I’m definitely getting deja vu from last year with 2976. If you play defense on the biggest stage of the season that is what people will start to say.

Anyways, 1073 is a class act team and it’s great to see the NE representation on Einstein this season. I thoroughly enjoyed watching them play.

5 Likes

I don’t know about best defense ever. I don’t even know about best defense this year. We played our best and we made it farther than we have ever made it in all 17 years this team has existed. I’m just proud and honored to have played against everyone this year. Thank you everyone.

35 Likes

Bravo!

1 Like

I was baffled when they weren’t picked at DCMP, a friend and I as soon as the 8th seed got to the second round were like “oh easy pick of 1073” and then it never happened. Glad they got their recognition.

3 Likes

I’d take 2052 over 1073… but I’m a little biased. Carrying an alliance to Einstein through some very good alliances was incredibly impressive to watch.

4 Likes

Rembrandts!

1 Like

Texplosion 2789 in 2013 and 2014

For anyone wondering they had a ball shifter triple full cim gearbox with a 7 ft/s and like 17ft/s, they had more pushing power than any team with 3 neos and could go just as fast

4 Likes

1073 was great but 614 was better.

6 Likes

Honestly you guys were probably one of my favorite bots to watch this year and I know a lot of my team really enjoyed seeing you play as well. I genuinely thought your alliance was gonna win the entire event. REALLY surprised you guys didn’t get picked at DCMP. You probably should’ve been picked over us tbh, but the double climb was no to be denied. Either way, excellent job, and even if it wasn’t the best defense in the world, it was still insane to watch.

2 Likes

As the person who picked this team and missed finals only because we extended our climber too soon, I can definitely confirm this is the best defense I have ever seen (at least against low linear shooters). I would’ve loved to have seen 4418 at CMP that year.

2 Likes

Check out 1405 in Einstein Finals, 2016. The blocking screen, and excellent driving, brought alot of top robots’ high tower shooting offense
Back down to the rest of the pack.

271 is another from this year that was able to nullify top scoring robots.

5 Likes

Sorry, 1073 was the third or fourth best defender on Curie, let alone the best ever.

3 Likes