1073 is the best defender in the history of FIRST

I mean that’s fine but that means you can think of at least two other bots that did a better job than us. Who are they? I’d love to meet with them. What types of drivetrains and strategies did they use?

1 Like

1073 was brilliant, best in history? Who knows, but this year they had one of the most impressive performances. The thing They had that many teams did not was a super aggressive bumper cut out that locked onto other robots, they could really shut teams down because they could control where they were pointed. This was also especially killer if the defended robot had a bumper cutout themselves, it made it even harder to get away. 1114 was an easy target for them.

As amazing as 1073 was, I would argue 614 on Archimedes was more difficult to drive against. Whats more amazing was its drive train is a slightly modified am14u,featuring 4 neos, Four white KOP wheels and rear Omnis with no drop, the middle wheel was shaved down to eliminate the am14u’s drop. Having driven against both 614 shut us down the most. They were extremely smart, and were one of the few teams that would know exactly where we wanted to score, they were also one of few teams that figured out we were trying to score as much cargo as possible, and to defend our intake side.

7 Likes

614 was excellent. Semifinal 2 match 1 against 33 was a masterpiece.

3 Likes

Did the blue alliance get 2 free hab 3 climbs because of 1073 touching the robots while they were in their hab zone during endgame?

Would have loved for your team to play defense in the match with us the entire time. Once you finally started on 2851 at the end it was okay, but prior to that it wasn’t the case sadly. We had a strategy you didn’t want to do.
I’m sure you remember the discussions before & after. :wink:

Glad to see how it ended up for you though…pretty awesome matches to watch! Congrats on the Division win.

1 Like

Yup. My understanding is that 1073 was trying to prevent 2767 from getting the double climb, which they did successfully. They then tried to slow down 987, but they lost control (I’m not too sure why) and were unable to peel away in time. They had a few issues losing control throughout Curie playoffs.

1 Like

While some may argue that its not the best ever.
Its certainly some of the best and cleanest I’ve seen in a long while.
They did an amazing job. Props to their drive team.

2 Likes

There are many instances of 3374 playing good Defense. Many times against 2 robots, and even an entire alliance at one point.

Throughout the quarters and semis, it was bad battery after bad battery, but what actually happened was when we hit 987 just before pulling away to not get a penalty, the radio unplugged. The last command the bot had was go forward… it went forward.

1 Like

It was tough call after tough call throughout the quals matches. In the end I just did what my coach told me to and I trust her to make the best calls she can. It has been an honor to play with every team and I’m so thankful for all the matches we’ve gotten to play.

7 Likes

Agree. As a driver, you do what you are coached to do and hope the calls are the right ones! Just how it goes. Nature of the game.
Quals were tough…can’t say enough how relatable that was for us with our schedule and other things!

Definitely wonderful every year to play with the teams we are fortunate to be able to and form new friendships along the way.
Good luck with anything off season wise and next year!

1 Like

5860 did some great move as well… we solely focus on defense with a WCD, 2 speed shifter and 6 Neos… very humble to get pick by alliance 7!

Overall an amazing weekend for our students!

Thank you all for making our first presence at Worlds a very cool experience!!!

1 Like

This was from 2017, but 3238 held the #1 seeded alliance of 1690 and 971 to only 2 rotors on the airship in the semifinals. They were pretty much forced to dedicate a robot on their alliance to defend against us because we’d outcycle them in gears, and give them minimal time to climb

But 2910 probably could have helped his alliance win that match if they hadn’t been playing defense. The 973 driver had some pretty good skills despite the heavy defense.

I was very blown away by 1073’s performance, I could see how you could argue 2767 to be better than them. That still leaves me to wonder who were the other two teams better than 1073 on Curie?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.