118 Robonauts Behind the Bumpers Interview and Robot Breakdown

Check out the full robot breakdown of 118 Robonauts at the Texas Cup at https://youtu.be/VOLmrTOIE7k

17 Likes

Neat intestine roller design. That’s very common in the industrial world for roller-conveyors to move various adapter plates around machining and assembly lines. Did you guys have a specific inspiration for that?

We use spring steel wave washers (bellville) washers to provide the side-load on our rollers at work, and we have a single bolt that you can turn to adjust the compression to modify the slip-point.

That fishtape climber is very cool. Someone on my team came up with that idea for an elevator system but I shot it down because I didn’t think it would work. I guess I’m wrong now!

I love all the custom gears that 118 makes. I don’t understand how they do that. Is it all waterjet?

4 Likes

I agree that this design for a climber is just slick! Maybe I missed that in her explanation but I am guessing there are springs compressed inside of the stages that are constantly pushing the towers up. Did anyone else catch on to that detail?

I think it’s just directly tied to the fish tape and the fish tape is just channeled to go into the tube. No room for unspooling or anything

1 Like

I don’t think this is the case. My understanding from a few posts on here, along with the video, is that the fishtape is what pushes the climber arms up. No springs or anything else.

1 Like

Definitely cringed as fingers went into those climber gears on an enabled robot, be safe! Super cool robot though, was awesome to see some detail behind all of these mechanisms.

2 Likes

I see where you mean that. Also, putting hand on top of the climber. One thing I like about the design, is that it is relatively safe when the robot is off. I saw a CF design upper stage come undone and spear into spray insulation on a 12-15 ft ceiling, and I had a close call with a compression spring design.

Awesome, 118! You all inspired me to make this meme. Keep up the great work!

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.