12Vdc 5mm LED Bulbs

I am currently in the market for a couple / few (not a whole lot) of 12Vdc 5mm White LED Bulbs so that I can replace the ones that are bad in my truck. I was wondering if anyone on CD has come across this kind of item or has purchased this item. I looked all over the web and I find the 5mm White LEDs but they are not 12Vdc. Radio Shack only sells LED’s at 1 - 4Vdc. :ahh:

All LEDs are about 2 volts forward voltage drop. You need to put a resistor in series with the LED to limit the current for the power supply you are using. There are some manufacturers that make filament lamp replacements from LED/resistor combinations for different voltages. If your plan is to replace filament style bulbs in your truck, it is also necessary to provide for reverse polarity using some diodes in addition to the resistor. The unfortunate problem with LED replacements for filaments is the directivity of the LED vs. lamp. If the application uses a lens or reflector, you may be unhappy with the results of an LED. If you are replacing LED’s then there may be other problems that caused them to burn out in the first place.

In general, a single LED will require about 500 ohms in series to drop the voltage from 12 volts@20ma. 470 or 560 ohm resistors are the standard values close to 500. If you purchase a particular high brightness LED, follow the specifications for that device.

Theres already a Resistor on the PCB from the old LED. =) The LED will be replacing one that is mounted to a 2000 Chevy Blazer Rear Wiper Motor / Rear Window Open Illuminated switch.

Is this one of those twist lock kind of lamps? Those are usually filament.

No it needs to be soldered into place

In that case try using one of the LEDs from Radio Shack and see if it works. Be sure to check the polarity, LEDs only work in one direction. Check the LED you are removing for marks like a flat spot on one side or a silk screen image on the board indicating an LED diode symbol. Let us know how it turns out.
You can check the LED that is in the switch with a VOM. It should measure like a diode in one direction and an open when you reverse the leads. Test with power off, please. If you have a Fluke with a diode test position, it will show a voltage drop and may beep once with the leads connected one way and will show no voltage when the leads are reversed. Keep in mind you may have a bad series resistor.

Try Newark Electronic Supply at http://www.newark.com/

Part Numbers 93F3487 = Red, 93F3488 = Green, 93F3489 = Amber

They are 12v with 6" wire leads and and integrated ferrule for mounting in a sheet metal panel.

We (1680), 1503 and 1114 used them the last two years in our OI panels.

This is a handy source I’ve found for LED’s with standard bases for future reference:http://www.mode-elec.com/Products/indicator_lamps(47-54).pdf

Before you go ordering anything, try a junk yard. See if you can find a Chevy similar to yours and get them out of it.

Probably around 50 cents if you get charged anything at all.

Newark In One is kinda hard to navigate when only certain items have pictures to it but hey I got what I needed - barely =( My second Option was to go to the junkyard and pull the whole switch assembly out but thats rather a pain so I went back to Newark In One and purchased something similar to what I need, I think I purchased some 3mm Green LEDs for the application I’m using it for and if need be I can double up one of the applications since there’s enough room to fit 2 small LEDs in there. I do thank you guys for your suggestions and will award you guys appropriately just as soon as I get some sleep, I just came home from a Holiday Party at my job after doing a double so I’m kinda tired for the moment but don’t worry rewards will be coming soon =)

I have another question for the CD community a rather simple one.

Is a 5mm T-1 12vDC Bi-Pin Incandescent Bulb the same as a 5mm T-1 12vDC Through Hole Incandescent Bulb.

Curiosity right now is murdering the cat =)

No Intended Application but curious is Bi-Pin (and if I take its meaning the right way its 2 pins coming from the bulb) the same as Through Hole.

It could be. Bi-Pin is a specific base configuration - the pins are such a diameter, spaces as such, and such long.

Through-hole merely means there are 'wires" coming out of the bulb that will pass through a circuit board for soldering.

You can likely mount a bi-pin into a PC Board, but might not be able to mount a through-hole into a bi-pin socket.


I can’t remember seeing a specification as “through hole” for an incandescent bulb. Can you give us the manufacturer? Part #? Bulbs that have wire leads cannot be pressed into a bi-pin socket as the leads are too flimsy.