1323 Robot performance

What did 1323 do to get so good in the past 5-6 years, I know they were pretty good before then but how did they go from being a good team to being #1 in the world?

2 Likes

They stopped building 4-bars on elevators.

124 Likes

Two words: swerve drive :grin:

7 Likes

Theres much more to it. It helps but there is so much more, the hatch mech and the balls.

Fortunately, 254 has that responsibility covered this season :wink:

34 Likes

Simply, @R.C happened, as far as I can tell.

More specifically (as far as I know), he was frustrated at the team’s lackluster performance when he was a student, so he came back and devoted himself to FRC and making 1323 as good as possible as an adult. His passion for FRC increased the school’s buy-in and commitment to the team, and his passion for success got absorbed by the mentors and students.

20 Likes

They started building better bumpers too.

69 Likes

Correlation vs Causation

1323 has swerve drive, which helps them become more dominant in individual seasons, but swerve drive is not the root cause of their overall competitive performance increase.

24 Likes

The big lessons for me from the rise of 1323 (and 1678 before them) are about passion, consistency, culture, training, and year-round devotion to improvement. Teams like theirs continually keep me optimistic for my team.

34 Likes

Don’t forget about getting and maintaining good sponsor relations, getting parts for their robot made by either the high equipment they have in-house because of donarions, or having their sponsors donate finished parts they can assemble.

4 Likes

1323’s success stems from the fact that RC’s motto as long as I’ve known him has been “build cool ■■■■” and a lot of “hella” thrown into the mix.

13 Likes

We can also ask the question of “What happened to 2910?” I honestly want to do a in-depth case study on these teams and figure out how they exploded onto the scene. You can’t pin things like this on single causes or issues, they are systemic changes within a team that causes them to get to the level they are currently at.

15 Likes

I hope you didn’t think I was serious when I joked that swerve drive made 1323 automatically better…

1 Like

RC is an awesome mentor, but he has been helping 1323 for a decade or so. He didn’t suddenly come back in 2016 or anything. So saying “RC showed up and then they became elite” isn’t the whole story.

7 Likes

I made this a few years ago. Very relevant.

Imgur

39 Likes

modarolla qualitee uhward

14 Likes

I think a lot can be said for just gradual improvement over time. Sure, 1323 has gotten better faster than those around them, and they are incredible now, but it didn’t happen overnight. They have been improving steadily for a long time in no doubt due to RC and other dedicated mentors pushing the team forward. Elite mentor cores take a very long time to grow, and they are finally hitting their stride.

2 Likes

It was probably the pit boxes.

39 Likes

Oh. For whatever reason I thought he joined in 2014-15 or so.

For real though 1323 has become what it is now thanks to hard work and dedication by their mentors, students, sponsors, and community members. RC has always been someone who learns extremely quickly, figures out what needs to be done to execute at higher levels, and leads his team to attain the resources needed to achieve those goals. In addition to this, he is extremely helpful to others.

I’ve know him and the team since about 07 and always looked up to how he would just take the initiative to learn something, do something, and not make excuses for shortcomings. We are the same age but the dude is a true inspiration. I’m sure these are the same characteristics he has passed onto his students and fellow mentors.

3 Likes