146 unpenalized points sets Rapid React high score at ISR 1

The Rapid React world record has just been raised to 146 penalty free by Orbit #1690 , Steampunk 1577 and Desert Eagles #6104 at ISR 1!

46 Likes

Anyone got match footage that’s not on Twitch?

4 Likes

Wild.

1 Like

Shouldn’t the blue alliance have received the hanger ranking point?

Oops never mind. It’s a quarterfinal

Watching 1690 now feels like watching 469 in 2010. You have to completely send the house just to get them to play the game like everyone else and only play like the best robot on the field instead of the best in the world.

Absolutely insane level of dominance right now.

9 Likes

I have to pinch myself cause its only week one and we are seeing scores we didn’t think we would see until the back half of the competition season. I am both excited and also terrified to see what the championship looks like.

Unfortunately it looks like the stream went down before the match. Hopefully the event was recording locally.

7 Likes

Now comes the question, will we see 200?

Yes

4 Likes
27 Likes

Well, there’s at least 25 relatively easy hang points not acquired, which gets to 171. Assuming about 8 unscored cargo points in same period id say 163 is very realistically attainable. I do feel cargo starvation becomes a factor above about 135-140 cargo points but it looks like my theory will be tested at some time this season. Between 1690, 1678, 148, 3310, 2910 we’re seeing some incredibly remarkable play for week 1. And 254 still to show us their hand…

7 Likes

Its funny how content 1690 is not to climb because they can just score 8+ balls in the same timeframe.

Absurdly good.

16 Likes

Week 1 results indicate a great season on tap!

3 Likes

Yes and no.

469 broke the game through a unique design executed well.

1690 took designs that every other team uses and executed them so well that it’s scary. A turret? Sure. One then rotates almost 2 full turns, on the fly? Intake? Pickup sideways, forward, full speed, with zero wait. Wrong ball reject? Sure. On the fly. (1678 comes close here). Swerve? Spectacularly fast and well executed. Shooter? Insanely consistent, while in motion. 1690 this year is a model of execution of common designs.

It’s almost depressing - we spent all build season working hard, and I look at the product 1690 turned out this year and I know that even on our best day we couldn’t pull off what they managed to do.

Huge tip of the hat to 1690. Unless 254 comes out with a robot that no one expects, it’s a long shot that anyone can even come close to their performance.

26 Likes

This is absolutely bonkers.

I wonder if we’ll see some robots this year just completely bypass the endgame like 1717 in 2012 because they’re so good at shooting. Any thoughts on if this is possible?

5 Likes

By my (possibly not quite perfect) count, they missed 9 of their shots, so that’s 18 points they potentially could score.

2 Likes

Its points per second. If your climb takes 15 seconds and you can score 8 balls in 15 seconds sure.

If your climb is 5 seconds and you can’t score 8 balls in 5 seconds then no.

Some of it could have just been preservation - why risk a fall if the points don’t matter?

9 Likes

It’s like watching Baryshnikov dance and Jordan shoot, in one person.

12 Likes

Truly inspirational, that robot is of the quality if FRC was an F1 style sport with full-time engineering resources applied. As I said earlier:

7 Likes

So 1690’s partners also shot and made points. The other team was down one bot and didn’t play any defense.

1690’s bot is certainly amazing, but in a very lopsided match, it was essentially a test of how fast the red alliance could shoot.

5 Likes

Collegiate and professional level FRC/Competitive robotics someday? Boy I sure hope so!

3 Likes