1678 Robot Reveal 2022

Here is our 2022 robot, “Margie”, as seen on FUN Premiere Night.

We look forward to seeing folks at Port Hueneme in less than a week!

Best,

-Mike

83 Likes

For those wondering:

Yes, the climb is automated.

Yes, the kids race them.

Yes, @davepowers put them up to it.

Enjoy.

-Mike

51 Likes

Are those pivots powered or just moved by the weight of the robot?
Awesome robot!

3 Likes

Yeah this cooks.

5 Likes

Just the weight of the robot.

The climber concept was inspired from 5013/8825’s climber shown here. Shout out to them for an awesome concept and for sharing the video with the community!

25 Likes

What is the drivetrain’s dimensions? Or can you not disclose that yet?

4 Likes

I think you have to legally say “yoink” now. But seriously very awesome robot!

13 Likes

Shout out to the folks on rapid deploy foam mat duty; the real heroes of this show!

18 Likes

This robot is super cool, and honestly isn’t very complicated considering all it’s doing. I love how seamless the outtake is for drivers to use.

11 Likes

Mike,

Next time you text me that y’all built 4 robots, one of which you completely built and iterated in 3 weeks, check to see that I’m not at your week 1?

I cant sleep.

Sincerely,
Sleepless JJ

51 Likes

Very nice robot with a clean look overall. Are you able to share any details from all the iteration you did over the season? I find the degree to which 1678 can rapidly iterate is very interesting.

6 Likes

@Michael_Corsetto Is the pad under the hook to make it more grippy?

2 Likes

Once the season is over I’m hoping we can take some time to create some documentation and share the design iteration process and timeline we went through. It was quite a ride and there were a ton of lessons learned!

Absolutely can’t wait to check out everyone’s robots next weekend at our first event, for anyone attending please feel free to swing by our pit to check out the robot and ask any questions, the students will be happy to answer them!

13 Likes

All the more reason to add it to your list of events to attend. Fun times ahead next week.

Looking forward to it.

I’m just wishing/hoping I can still go to SD Week 3 too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the shout out.

1 Like

This cannot be emphasized enough. I look forward to doing that whenever I walk around the pits to learn about each team’s robot, talking to the students.
Geez, I sound like I want to volunteer to be a judge. :smiley:

Maybe when I stop coaching.

14 Likes

Glenn, is my memory playing tricks on me, or do I recall you doing exactly that at CMP 2016 in STL? Maybe you were not a Judge then, but on a special WFA project?

1 Like

The iterations 1678 and other top teams go through is insane to me. Very very interested in learning how you guys throw minimum viable products together so quickly.

2 Likes

Fixed it for ya :grin:

1 Like

Minimum for them :slight_smile: maximum for most!

1 Like