Team 1678 Citrus Circuits is excited to announce that we are partnering with First Updates Now to host a CADathon using the Game Design Challenge-winning game Storm Surge! The event will start at 6 p.m. on Friday, September 24, and end at 9 p.m. Sunday, October 3rd (Note that all times listed in this post are in EST). DO NOT START until the start date! Crucial judging criteria that will fundamentally determine the design of your robot will not be released before then.
The Storm Surge CADathon is sponsored by West Coast Products. They will be providing prizes for the top 3 winners!
The live show will feature a panel of judges from Team 1678. Follow First Updates Now (FUN) on Twitch to make sure you don’t miss any live streams.
A CADathon is similar to a Hackathon but involves designing robots online (CAD-ing robots). Participants are given a short period of time to CAD a robot and a panel of judges selects a winner based on predetermined judging criteria. For more information on how CADathons typically look, see F4 CADathons.
- The duration of the CADathon is nine (9) days (Friday to Sunday).
- There will be no limit to CADathon team size IF everyone on the CADathon team is a member of the same FIRST (FRC, etc.) team.
- For CADathon teams with members of different FIRST teams, we will keep the usual rule of “up to 3 members” (this is to prevent the 10 best CADathon participants from 10 different teams from teaming up and creating an unfair competition).
- If you are competing solo, but would like to be assigned up to 2 random partners, you can sign up as a “random” in the signup form and we will do our best to match you with a partner that uses the same software and is in a similar time zone.
- An exported STEP or Parasolid file, or Onshape link, native CAD files, and any renders they choose to create to a grabCAD workbench.
- A Written Submission to explain their design to the judging panel.
- All files and Written Submission must be submitted by October 3rd at 9 p.m. EST. Note that all files will be inspected to ensure adherence to game rules.
All submissions will be split into groups and each judge will judge a portion of the submissions. Each judge will then submit their top five (5) or so teams, and the other judges will go back and judge those entries. This way the top teams will have feedback from all of the judges, and all teams will have detailed feedback from at least one (1) judge.
The only prerequisites to join are that you are willing to spend time designing and that you have access to CAD software. Participants of all ages are welcome (this is not limited to students) and we encourage everyone from rookies to the most advanced CADers to put their skills to the test. If you are new to CAD and would like to be on a larger team to help yourself learn, please contact us using the discord below.
The deadline for registration is September 24th at 12 p.m. EST. Late registration is allowed, but please sign up as soon as possible.
Regardless of the type of team you are (solo, 3-person, FIRST team, etc.), only ONE (1) member of each team should complete [the registration form].(https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OMC4c4OvnrqWueWa9W_XV37CM_0LCkn0WRhtXG_e9tM/edit?usp=sharing).
Be sure to join our Discord server to stay up to date with Q&A and interact with other CADathon participants! If you have any questions, contact us in the Discord server or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can’t wait to start the CADathon!