1706 Robot Reveal 2023: Whiplash

Team 1706 Ratchet Rockers is proud to present our 2023 robot: Whiplash.

We’ll see everyone at the St. Louis and Central Missouri Regionals.

57 Likes

Love it! What’s the reasoning behind the slightly octagonal frame perimeter?

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure, but at 0:20 and 0:45 it looks like they jam their bumper into the grid to line up.

3 Likes

Love it.

4 Likes

We thought about this but our frame perimeter ended up having that not work out as well as we wanted it to, ended up just using limelight and having it give the driver assistance on approach,

The actual purpose is to rotate off defense easier, or another, as we ended up saying, because it looks cool!

7 Likes

Love it.

Wish more people cut the corners off. It’s amazing how much smaller the robot appears.*

*(For those who are curious, sketch out a square/rectangle representing your robot’s frame perimeter/bumpers. Then Draw a circle around the square/rectangle, touching each of the corners. This is your footprint when rotating. Now take the same square/rectangle, and miter the corners by some (dimensionally real) amount (like 2-4", or more) - now draw the circle that connects to the points of the corner… The circle is way smaller.)

4 Likes

Exactly by cutting the frame to the size of our “mk2” swerve modules we saved ~6" of diameter corner to corner.

Oh boy

2 Likes

:metal:Best reveal music ever :metal:

(Robot’s pretty sweet too)

1 Like

Second intake is presumably for tipped cones to hand off to the end effector?

1 Like

Any plans to shoot in the fly? Account t for your robots x and y velocity and shoot cones on the fly…just some math

Love it.

2 Likes

That is exactly right. We currently don’t know how often we will use it though. It works consistently, but based off of what we’ve seen so far we likely won’t use it unless it is obviously valuable to do so.

2 Likes

There has been discussion of possibly integrating this sometime in the future. Based off of what we’ve observed from our current cycles however, there may not be a huge time save there, and you may risk missing which pretty much voids whatever time savings you may get, or possibly the cycle all together.

The way you guys intake cubes reminds me of your 2018 intake, can’t wait to see the bot this weekend

1 Like

Yes, eventually the goal is tipped cone autonomous using this so the robot doesn’t have to rotate as much but didn’t have time to fine dial the design for STL. CAD team already has an improvement spun up so we are hoping to go more cone focused autos for Central Missouri. STL we will stick to shooting preload cone and grabbing cubes in autonomous, and of course balancing.

1 Like

Interesting idea… we aren’t using pose for scoring “yet”…We almost threw movement compensation for the cubes but realized it wasn’t gonna save much time and prioritized elsewhere. If we are fortunate enough to qualify it would be cool to do it for worlds.

1 Like

This bears a resemblance to 971’s Stronghold robot, and I love that. Awesome machine!

3 Likes

My face when seeing the cones shot out with expert precision.

%https://tenor.com/view/chris-pratt-happy-surprised-gif-13622771%

2 Likes

Looks like a great robot, and a great reference to Metallica’s best era.

How consistent is the cone shot? And are you using auto line up for them?
Also, what does the rear intake do? I think I only noticed the front cube intake being used in the reveal, does that grab a tipped cone?

1 Like