2:37am - 84 hours to go

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #246, a FIRST-aholic, from John D. O’Byrant High School/Boston Latin Academy/Madison HS and NSTAR/Boston University/Wentworth Institute of Technology/MassPEP.

Posted on 2/19/2000 12:41 AM MST

Gunn’s going nuts with the computer right now…

Gabe has tapped his 42nd hole for the night…

Liz is still doing all her homework from the past 5 weeks…

Colleen is typing in the 3rd person right now…

We knocked out 2 ceiling tiles with our elevator…

We -almost- set off the sprinklers…

We are still machining integral parts…

And now we have 8 minutes less to make this thing work…

How goes everyone else???

Best of luck to all - you know we’ll miss these 6 weeks when they are done…

colleen & gunn
team #246-

Team quotes:
‘From the wheels that slip to the wheels that slip… less’

‘We are where they weren’t’

‘We don’t make them, we make them useful’

‘Always keep a positive attitude- it may not do you any good but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort’ - Gunn

‘The only normal people are the ones you don’t know very well’ -Joe Aucis (no, not a person on our team)

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 2/19/2000 5:56 AM MST

In Reply to: 2:37am - 84 hours to go posted by colleen on 2/19/2000 12:41 AM MST:

For Team 69, the snow has buried us until 9am Saturday. Our bot is safe and dry at Gillette being put on an emergency diet…we’ve got 8lbs to go, and not much left to put holes in. The engineers are beginning to panic and spending all day at the high school, the teachers continue to correct their papers and tests while we build, and as for the students…it seems like we can solve any problem over a good game of chess. So…there are well over 300 other teams out there…how’s it going for you?

Lora

Posted by Erin.

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from OTC-NE, Oxford High School and 3-D Services.

Posted on 2/19/2000 7:15 AM MST

In Reply to: Snow is bringing us to our knees posted by Lora Knepper on 2/19/2000 5:56 AM MST:

the 'bot has been up and running for awhile now, the drivers are getting lots of practice, that is, if they can find 3d’s building under all of this snow…

still a few minor changes to make…

no problems with having our robot run a muck throughout the shop yet, hoping that it won’t…

good luck colleen, i know alot of people on team one are sympathizing with you as they remember CDI…

-erin

Posted by Adam Anderson.

Student on team #236, Lyme Old Lyme High School, from Lyme Old Lyme High School and Northeast Utilities.

Posted on 2/19/2000 3:28 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Snow is bringing us to our knees…also posted by Erin on 2/19/2000 7:15 AM MST:

we are getting pounded by the snow too, we are not even done with the bot, yesterday my mom wouldnt allowe me to go to the shop becasue of the roads… but my dad said that after my mom went to bed i could go. so i showed up about 11:45 pm and worked till about 5:30 am then i went home slept for a few hours and was back by 10:45… but i had to work at 12:00 and as of noon it looked like we might have it done tonight or tomorrow
-Adam Anderson-

: the 'bot has been up and running for awhile now, the drivers are getting lots of practice, that is, if they can find 3d’s building under all of this snow…

: still a few minor changes to make…

: no problems with having our robot run a muck throughout the shop yet, hoping that it won’t…

: good luck colleen, i know alot of people on team one are sympathizing with you as they remember CDI…

: -erin

Posted by Erin.

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from OTC-NE, Oxford High School and 3-D Services.

Posted on 2/20/2000 4:16 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Snow is bringing us to our knees…also posted by Adam Anderson on 2/19/2000 3:28 PM MST:

our driving team got out to our pracitce area in the snow yesterday (probably almost got into at least 6 accidents while trying to get there)

our robot had a little problem… :*(

im not giving anything away, but i know I am sympathizing with all those who thought they WERE done but sadly were proved wrong…

but with that, i must say that mr. mcintyre has now been proven a genius in my book. if he reads this, i am giving him an opportunity to give me a great big ‘i told you so!’ or at least i have to say good job on predicting the future.

guess thats about it from the peanut gallery of the rumor mill.

Posted by Daniel.

Coach on team #483, BORG, from Berkeley High School and NASA Ames & UC Berkeley.

Posted on 2/19/2000 11:36 AM MST

In Reply to: 2:37am - 84 hours to go posted by colleen on 2/19/2000 12:41 AM MST:

Our base is functional, our bicep does it’s trick, but our arm…oh our arm. We’re about half done with that guy. Not a problem though, I’ll introduce my team to a drink called the ‘Hammerhead’ today. The hammerhead is a specialty drink for college students. I’ve never seen someone sleep within 30 hours or drinking one of those suckers.

We’ll be up and running for practice time on sunday!

No weight problems, thank god. You’ll know why when you see our 'bot. Talk about fancy swiss cheese…

Good luck everyone!!
-DL