2 Champs Volunteering 2018

With the opening of championship volunteering registration I want to know who is going to volunteer at the championships and will it be at Huston, Detroit or both?
I am locked and loaded for both!

Somehow, I never thought you wouldn’t be volunteering for both Championships Ed…

There should be another option for conditional volunteering based on whether or not your team qualifies for an event.

I’ll be in Detroit either way! Here’s hoping Detroit 2018 is better than Houston 2017!

I did both last year and it was a lot of long days. I honestly haven’t decided yet. It’s pretty certain I’ll volunteer in Detroit though.

How late’s too late to register for volunteering at Champs? I’d like to, but I have no idea what my life will look like in May.

I did back-to-back champs one time and that was enough for now. I had a great time, and I enjoyed giving back to FIRST for two weeks in a row-but I also have to be a person who does real people things too. For anyone who has the availability and the means, I would highly recommend it.

Really depends on what you want to volunteer as. Some positions get a lot of interest and fill up quickly, others you can walk in the day of and be assigned to. The volunteer coordinator(s) have a ridiculously tough job to try and get everything staffed and want to confirm and fill positions ASAP.

If you are willing to settle for something like radio room monitor as I did for part of Houston, you can wait until a week or two before. I have to say though, it was disappointingly far away from all action. I also volunteered for load out which was stressful but also a good way to see stuff happen.

I guess my point is that even if you wait until just before the event, there are still less desirable jobs that are close to game play if that is what you want. Just don’t expect to be queuing or inspecting (or anything else popular).

As others have said, it really does depend on your role. What are you volunteering as at local regional/district events? Having experience in the season at those events will help you get into the same role at champs, and for some roles (like inspector or ref), it’s a requirement! I know many people wait to register to volunteer until their team earns a spot, which can leave us sitting short on some key roles (like inspectors!) until the last minute.

I never doubted you would be doing this Ed. Great seeing you at Havoc last weekend!