2003 Long Island Regionals

Whats up everyone, its been fun… Started a thread on this years LI regionals for all who wanna share. Team #1203 pandemonium here and our robot MOVES!!!

so does ours when the wheels aren’t broken

we do some of that ‘moving’ too, except when our auto code goes the wrong way… or actually works and speeds over the ramp smashing into our wall knocking the oi on the floor with 3 seconds of auto mode to get it back up

we do some of that ‘moving’ too, except when our auto code goes the wrong way… or actually works and speeds over the ramp smashing into our wall knocking the oi on the floor with 3 seconds of auto mode to get it back up

Meh its the luck of the draw. Our robot moves very well and actually works very well. Unfournatly we are not doing very well. My teamates also have a tendancy to scare the hell out of me. Teamate walks up to me:
We broke a gear.
Me:Huh??? How the hell did we do that??
I walk up to the gearbox and realize that the gear did not break but the spacer on it needed to be fixed which is an easier(yet pain in the @#@#$@# considering how we built the thing) fix. They were doing that all day to me. :slight_smile:
I am a littled annoyed that the team that won the spirit award was actually breaking the rules on noise makers. At least it was not as bad as what happened last year. We had floyd on one side with the same wooden blocks and part of the marching band on the other.

we do a pretty good job as long as our auto mode works but its been a little sketchy. We are currently in 4th so we arent doing that bad, but of course we can always do better…can we maybe top our 233 qp???

*Originally posted by wysiswyg *
**I am a littled annoyed that the team that won the spirit award was actually breaking the rules on noise makers. At least it was not as bad as what happened last year. We had floyd on one side with the same wooden blocks and part of the marching band on the other. **

Hey guys, great job today. This competition is awesome! Just curious, which rule on noise makers are you refering to? I’m trying to convince people to give up the wooden blocks if that’s what you mean, I know they’re really annoying. heh. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!! : )

Btw… I’m the LI rep. for RCU (Robot Chicks Union) so if anyone is interesting in learning about it, supporting it, or joining stop by 287’s pit station or ask anyone on the team where you can find Kelly.

i was thinking…and one thing that we do not have, is any bridge blockers at this regional. we have no huge robots like 229 or 68 that can block the entire bridge. i dunno if anyone else used thier stacker besides us, i haven’t been able to watch a lot of matches because i’ve been working on things and making sure the autocode works

I havent seen much stacking either…one round our partner was port jeff and we made a stack during human mode and then they came over and grabbed the stack and sat int eh corner, protecting the stack and brought it out at the end. But we have not used our arms at all to do stacking. Our arms have come in handy for knocking down boxes and sweeping them.

we weren’t able to stack at all because our arms exploded in our first qualification match. anyone see it? we took them off, and seem to be doing better without them.

i really enjoyed our match with 353, the Pobots. i liked it so much i even did donuts on top of the ramp!!! anyone see that? we have another match together tomorrow and i believe we can beat our previous score of 233.

can’t wait for tomorrow. good luck!!!

*Originally posted by Nataku *
**we do some of that ‘moving’ too, except when our auto code goes the wrong way… or actually works and speeds over the ramp smashing into our wall knocking the oi on the floor with 3 seconds of auto mode to get it back up **

Hehe, I think we should’ve gotten the jduges award for our auto mode, it was very creative, it found a new way to fail every time :-). Well me and my co-programmer dan are doing pretty well, we got all the major bugs out (such as bad labeling making a right turn instead a left…oops). I think the coolest failure was when our automode had too loose a turn, missed the ramp completely but managed to knock down the other alliance’s HP stack. :wink: If anyone asks, it was supposed to do that. Well see ya later all.

Mannnnnnn I am so depressed, we ranked 14 out of 32 in the regional, were a rookie team that never broke down once, and made it to the top of the ramp 10 out of 11 matches… We had an autonomous mode that was very reliable in getting up on the ramp to get to push the boxes, we were powerful too, the only robot there that overpowered us was from team #42, everyone else tried but we overcame them, our only weakness was that we were slow, i guess thats why we didnt get picked for the playoffs. Well we thought we deserved it but oh well. At least we got a rookie allstar award which didnt mean much, i dont get how 2 of out of 3 rookie teams get an all star award. It was fun though, so if u have any replies just hit em up.

Who won anyways? Who won awards?

Cory

we did

263 won the motorola quality design award for our skids and huge wheels, and 271 won the gm industrial design for thier 4 wheel drive and ‘twistable’ robot chassis

871 took home part of the regional finalist award with 566 and alliance captain 545. … i can still feel that adrenaline flowing.

Seriously, congratulations to everyone. And I mean that. I’m surprised we did so well. We really bombed it at BAE and UTC, but we took 5th at SBPLI. So, we’re all pretty psyched about that. I mean, I’m excited. I was the human player and all. I know I didn’t do much and stuff, but I’m feeling pretty good. And as for what Longwood said about our noisemakers…what rule are y’all referring to? Plus we advised against the blocks this year after we all went deaf last year. But they passed them out anyway. Yeah, so, great job to everyone, and good luck in the future.

As a representative from FESTO Corporation, and a mentor on team 358, I just wanted to say thanks to all the teams for a great regional event.

After attending the BAE Regional, I felt we had “pretty big shoes to fill” as far as matching the excitement, energy, and spirit of FIRST, and I would say we did it!!!

Congrats to all on a great event. Hopefully, we’ll see some of you in Houston, otherwise next year on LI.

Regards,
Scott358

PS - With regard to awards, there’s a full list on the FIRST site under the LI regional event:

http://www2.usfirst.org/2003comp/events/LI/awards.html

*Originally posted by ShirtNinja *
**Seriously, congratulations to everyone. And I mean that. I’m surprised we did so well. We really bombed it at BAE and UTC, but we took 5th at SBPLI. So, we’re all pretty psyched about that. **

thanks 287 for making us your first pick, and setting up a good alliance with us and team 28. too bad we ran into a few problems with seeing the robot, and your chain fell off, then 28 had a little drive problem at the end of match 2. in all, we learned exactly how to work our robot now, so we feel we can do very well at nationals, congrats to the winners
ps…since thursday i was telling people to watch out for team 870, looks like i was right

Just curious, which rule on noise makers are you refering to? I’m trying to convince people to give up the wooden blocks if that’s what you mean, I know they’re really annoying. heh.

Never mind there is a rule but it wans’t enforced at all and I retract my former statement. After reading it I realized that all of the teams broke that rule in one form or another including our own team.:slight_smile: I do not remember one team that did not hang a banner off a bleacher. Also it was in the shipping section.

Plus we advised against the blocks this year after we all went deaf last year. But they passed them out anyway.

Bah only death. We went death mute and blind at the same time. I think we were won of the most photographed teams out there.
Also thank you for lending us that saw tool to cut out our robot. It really helped us out to fix our robot.
Whoopeee team 564 won the chairman’s award. I was jumping so much hehe. I looked down and thought to myself,“Where is my medal???” Then I realized that it fell a few feet back.

Mannnnnnn I am so depressed, we ranked 14 out of 32 in the regional, were a rookie team that never broke down once, and made it to the top of the ramp 10 out of 11 matches…

Do not feel so depressed. We were a third year team that broke down once and we placed last. Does anyone recommend something to place over our tires to improve traction. I believe that our shredded tires and our sensitive controls is what gave our team problems moving

yeah, long island was awesome (my team wasn’t actually there, but we jumped on the RAGE bus and went up anyways).

congrats to everybody (and 870. we’ll be seeing you at Nationals!)

Official Coolest random moment:
“Where the hell is Popek?”
The enemy has your flag
“Crap!”