2003 Long Island Regionals

“Where the hell is Popek?”
The enemy has your flag
“Crap!”

Huh I must of missed that. Can you tell me about this?

ummm, yeah, that wasn’t actually part of the meaningful post. (Its called a random moment for a reason.) Just think Halo parties at 1 in the morning.

As for the regional, I must say that even if it wasn’t quite as competitive as the UTC one (the only other one i’ve attended this year), It was a lot more fun to watch. And the finals match was amazing.

The only thing I was dissappointed at was that 810 never used their stacker thingamajigger. (supposedly they go under and over the bar at the same time so that they can carry a stack with them). It sounds really cool, but they never used it.

I must say, it was truely a great regional. We were up at UTC last week, thought it was challenging, and SBPLI would be easier, boy was I wrong. The bots there were amazing, and really put up a fight.

I must say thank you to teams 514 and 569. We had an amazing alliance, not losing a single match during the entire final matches, and we pulled it off.

Unfortunately, we will not be going down to Nationals in Houston this year because of it being denied by the board of ed. Being a Senior, I’m truely dissapointed about this, but it was definetely an amazing year for FIRST.

well that’s dissapointing, but congradulations on a great bot and a great year anyways

Actually I was mistaken, the only reason we aren’t going to Nationals is simply because the 2 mentor leaders on the team did not want to go, why? I don’t know. It’s just really disappointing because I feel we had a very good chance at doing well in nationals :frowning:

*Originally posted by wysiswyg *
**Never mind there is a rule but it wans’t enforced at all and I retract my former statement. After reading it I realized that all of the teams broke that rule in one form or another including our own team.:slight_smile: I do not remember one team that did not hang a banner off a bleacher. **

Team 30 didn’t use any noise makers and we didn’t hang a banner off a bleacher. Then again we usually only had 4 people in the stands at any given time. I guess it comes with the territory of being a small team from an even smaller school. Some of the teams brought more people than we have in our entire school.

I’d like to say an extra special congratulations and awesome work to all that participated in the Long Island Regional! Especially 263 and 271, because you both rock my world. Oh yeah.

• You loving pit announcer, Kimberly

P.S. If you have borrowed goggles, please return them to pit administration by the end of the day.

I was really disapointed to see no big screen nor camera crews at SBPLI this year… =(

However, it was still fun, even if we didn’t get chosen for the finals. We worked out the last of the robot’s kinks (unfortionately, that doesn’t do us much good because the school board cancelled our big trip to San Jose: -$4000 for us), watched some good matches, and played some Ultimate (thanks to everyone who came out during lunch and played some rounds with us today).

I also got to ride a Segway! The Segway person was giving out free rides yesterday after the awards ceremony.

Being on the SBPLI FIRST Committee that sets up the LI event, this was not something we wanted to do. I comes down to having the financial support to do “everything” in a very, very difficult economy.

The Long Island FIRST Regional is like no other, in that the single largest corporate contribution is “only” $25k (which was the case even when the economy was good), then it goes down quickly from there. Many other events get upwards of $100k (or even more) from a single company, then the donations from other companies on top of that.

Our LI Regional is truly a “home grown” event, for which if it were not for the coordination and fund raising efforts of Fred Breihut of SBPLI (which is a not-for-profit organization), we would not have.

I agree the big screen would be nice, but I would ask everyone to keep the big picture of the whole event in mind.

Regards,
Scott358

I was really disapointed to see no big screen nor camera crews at SBPLI this year… =(

There was a camera crew from one of the teams this year. They were wearing blue shirts. Of course that does not help you much because there must have been quite a few teams wearing blue shirts. I was doing the docy-do with our lion as he was filming us.

Team 30 didn’t use any noise makers and we didn’t hang a banner off a bleacher. Then again we usually only had 4 people in the stands at any given time. I guess it comes with the territory of being a small team from an even smaller school. Some of the teams brought more people than we have in our entire school.

Yeah I meant there was quite a few teams that did it. What school do you come from??
I am also quite surprised at the fact at how much of a work out I got walking/running around the place.

Yeah I meant there was quite a few teams that did it. What school do you come from??

We’re from High Technology High School in Lincroft, NJ. We’re a magnet “pre-engineering” school with about 240 kids total.

We’re from High Technology High School in Lincroft, NJ. We’re a magnet “pre-engineering” school with about 240 kids total.

Lol that is a small school. A really small school. Longwood is about 1000 kids i think in 11th grade.
Anyway I have a funny story:
I ask a mentor what is the robot supposed to do in autonomous mode. He goes,“Well it is supposed to follow the line but as you can see we downloaded a new code into the robot?”
So I go,“You have no idea what is going to happen do you?”
He says,“Yes”

Just sendin a shout out to team 571, paragon, especially jake, colin, my evil twin cory, popek “Where the $@#$@#$@#$@# is popek? The enemy has your flag!” , a shout out to team 870- nice work guys, and congrats. SARAH! ; ’

this one was fun all, cya at nat's,
                                                     Ian

Just sendin a shout out to team 571, paragon, especially jake, colin, my evil twin cory, popek “Where the @#@#@#@# is popek? The enemy has your flag!” , a shout out to team 870- nice work guys, and congrats. SARAH!

Who is popek??? I am so lost and I was at that regional.

Never mind there is a rule but it wans’t enforced at all

Actually it was enforced. RAGE went from no spirit because we were doing badly on Friday, to too much team spirit on Saturday. We had those bottles on poles and we were hitting them on the bleachers and, well, i guess one of the FIRST people in the pits came up to us and said we could no longer use them because the sound amplified through the bleachers and was to loud in the pits.

wysyswyg, its ok, popek is a kid from team 571, paragon, who, along with like 4 other paragon kids hopped the bus with RAGE, just to come have some fun, its just one of those long, drawn out inside jokes that is only funny to those of us who played halo like all night. Hey, jk2005, thanx for bringin that to light, i hope everyone heard that, thats right, 173, probably the least spirited team… EVER, got yelled at for havin too much spirit, yea baby!

Sigh what great timing I have with school. This regional landed on a day in which I have a math project and a seven page english project due on the same day.

*Originally posted by ragelax *
** i hope everyone heard that, thats right, 173, probably the least spirited team… EVER, got yelled at for havin too much spirit, yea baby! **

No… team 30 wins the award for least spirited by far. We never had more than 6 people in the stands and half of them spent the whole time talking about how much we sucked. We only had like 2 team signs and most of the time we only held up half of one.

haha, RAGE may not have much, but ragelax has tons of it! In fact, I do believe he recieved an award all by himself! Maybe I should give colin a call and see If i can digitize some of his award winning performance for public consumption here on CD.

very funny jake, dont go startin that again, or there may not be room on the rage bus next time the paragon kids get bored for the weekend, p.s., the award is sitting on the shelf at our practice facility already, and in a strange way, im proud of it!