2004 regionals

http://www.usfirst.org/frc/public/FMPro?-db=team%20events.fp5&-lay=web&-format=event_stats.htm&-findany

2 weekends w/ 6 regionals!!

trying not to act too excited

Wow, this is awesome. I’m so excited to hear that we’re going to be in the Sovereign Bank Arena for J&J. First the RAC, now this… we’re really moving up!

They still managed to put two of the New York area regionals(Drexel and NYC) on the same weekend. At least its not as bad as last year, when both NYC and SBPLI were the same weekend.

*Originally posted by SarahB *
**trying not to act too excited

Wow, this is awesome. I’m so excited to hear that we’re going to be in the Sovereign Bank Arena for J&J. First the RAC, now this… we’re really moving up!

They still managed to put two of the New York area regionals(Drexel and NYC) on the same weekend. At least its not as bad as last year, when both NYC and SBPLI were the same weekend. **

yahoo for NYC and SBPLI are on different weekends!

Oh… not happy with JnJ moving to Trenton, NJ. More distance to travel means hotel stay is a must.
No vanpool commuting to JnJ.
Ah… and JnJ is early too (really not happy).
:(:wink:

Now when can we register :stuck_out_tongue:

yahoo for NYC and SBPLI are on different weekends

Whoopeee:). Wow there are four differnt regionals that are relatively near to my team.

Wow… Portland is the site of the Pacific Northwest Regional, and Seattle is not. This is kinda like another rookie regional.

Also… a question for anyone who knows: what does “open capacity” mean? Obviously, there are going to be more than 26 teams in Detroit. I assume that this number does not include local teams who have spots reserved. It sure would be nice to know the facility capacity numbers at these regionals.

Andy B.

*Originally posted by Andy Baker *
**Wow… Portland is the site of the Pacific Northwest Regional, and Seattle is not. This is kinda like another rookie regional.

Also… a question for anyone who knows: what does “open capacity” mean? Obviously, there are going to be more than 26 teams in Detroit. I assume that this number does not include local teams who have spots reserved. It sure would be nice to know the facility capacity numbers at these regionals.

Andy B. **

The “open capacity” is the quantity of teams the regional can except.
Last year in NYC several teams were booked out of the local regional and had to go somewhere else. This meant more cost to the team for travel and hotel.
In NYC we tried very hard to get a larger arena but was unsuccessful.
So register early!

**Wow… Portland is the site of the Pacific Northwest Regional, and Seattle is not. This is kinda like another rookie regional.

Andy B. **

They had the same thing last year too, I believe some spots are saved for grant winners, as was the case at STL last year, and some proabably are for local teams.

I can’t believe the canadian regional has an open capacity of 70!!! There were < 55 of us this year and almost 10 of us had to be in some stupid back room! ARrrrgh. I hope that there’s a system worked out this year so that the judges are well aware of where all the people at the regional are located.

*Originally posted by monsieurcoffee *
**I can’t believe the canadian regional has an open capacity of 70!!! There were < 55 of us this year and almost 10 of us had to be in some stupid back room! ARrrrgh. **

The Canadian Regional is going to have 2 fields this year. This is quite a coup. 70 competitors, 2 fields, and many qualification matches will lead to this regional being one of the best to attend. This regional is looking much like FIRST Nationals looked in the mid-90’s.

Andy B.

A 2 field regional?? That would be great to compete at… Do you know if they are going to just mix everyone up among the two fields or if it would turn into more of a division system like at the Championship? A little disappointed to see NYC and LI back to back, would be nice if they spaced them out 2 weeks so for the teams who do both, missing school wouldn’t be much of an issue.

Maybe this was already mentioned somewhere else, but why is the championship a four day event?

With the open capacity of Nationals at 210, what does that mean for registration this year?

How many teams will really get to compete?

Might I suggest you take specific Canadian Regional questions to the official board?

*Originally posted by monsieurcoffee *
**I can’t believe the canadian regional has an open capacity of 70!!! There were < 55 of us this year and almost 10 of us had to be in some stupid back room! ARrrrgh. I hope that there’s a system worked out this year so that the judges are well aware of where all the people at the regional are located. **
Get used to it :slight_smile: . The two fields are going to take up the entire main part of the stadium. The ‘other’ arena - which you may have seen while exploring - is going to be used as the pits. You’ll have a short walk to get there. But I kind of liked it last year in the back area; there was a lot of space for you, us, and a couple other teams.
**This is quite a coup. 70 competitors, 2 fields, and many qualification matches will lead to this regional being one of the best to attend.
It already is! But I think we can be assured other regionals will follow suit. Not this year, though.

*Originally posted by Andrew *
**With the open capacity of Nationals at 210, what does that mean for registration this year?

How many teams will really get to compete? **

That’s my question:D .
Some of the slots could be reserved for pre-qualified team (i.e. chairmans/technology oriented awards), but even after that you still are down 45-60 slots. hmm. that’s not much when you think about it 45-60 slots… I guess it’s just a slightly smaller arena this time, but this is just my pondering. carry on.

I just checked FIRST’s “important date” section. Registration for the first regional and championships starts on Sept. 29. That’s not that far away!

“We’re so Canadian we’ve been to their regional more than some of the Canadian teams…” :slight_smile:

Heh, yeah, Canadian Regional is really moving along - I think 639 will keep the tradition of going every year (possibly so we can keep claiming that Candian-ness).

Maybe this was already mentioned somewhere else, but why is the championship a four day event?

Because there’s a lot of teams :stuck_out_tongue:

Only one NASA comp?? That so can not be right!!!
Peachtree!! Yahoo!!! that was one fun comp last year!!!
To bad though its no longer at KSC…those were the days!!

We will be receiving a ‘starter kit of parts’ upon payment this year. I wonder what will be in this goodie bag?

Also here is the important date link:

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/frc_time.htm

Only one NASA comp?? That so can not be right!!!
Peachtree!! Yahoo!!! that was one fun comp last year!!!

Where’d you get the info that there is only one NASA comp? Did I miss something?

I didn’t notice earlier that April 14 is a Wednesday. Are they going to implement the threatened extra day of competition this year?