2005 Compatibility

Our team’s Robot Controller is currently not working (see http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=681702), and while we send it away for warranty repair we are considering testing code on an old 2005 RC. I read on the FIRSTwiki that the only change from 2005 to present is a new PIC. Looking up this new PIC, I found out that it has a bit more memory. Does anyone know any other differences that might prevent us from using it temporarily?

Thanks,
Nick
Programming Lead

It is pretty easy to complie the software using the PIC8520 in place of the PIC8722.

If you are using MPLAB, there are a few things you need to do.

#1: Make sure you select the 8520 device under <Configure>>Select Device.

#2: If you have the 8722 Library, AltTimers, and Linker files included in your project, Remove them. You will need to replace these with the same 8520 version files. If you do not have these files in c:mcc18 folder, Try Kevin Watson’s software depository. You may have to look at the archived files from 2005.

#3: If your program has grown beyond the memory limitations of the PIC8520 processor, try removing unused code to get it within the memory available. If you are over, it will not compile.

EDIT: You may also try downloading the FRC_MASTER_V14.BIN file from IFI. You should be able to find it there. Perhaps yours doesn’t have any flash code within it.

I hope this helps…