2006 Team Social Tickets

I’m been poking around both the FIRST and THS websites and have been unable to find any information about buying tickets to the Championship social without booking a full hotel package. I know this has been possible in the past.

Is this information available somewhere I haven’t found yet?

If not, does anyone recall what the cost of the tickets was in the past; last year, particularly?

Thanks.

If memory seves me correctly I think the tickets were $35 a person…granted I didn’t have to pay since I was a volunteer :smiley:

I’m glad to hear others are looking too. So far all we have been able to get from FIRST is that they are rolled into the package with the hotel. However, since we were booking early and the hotel system wasn’t up yet, we didn’t go through the system, so so far no tickets.
:frowning:

We really are a sociable team and are looking forward to meeting everyone else outside the competition.

I think last years tickets were $35-40 if I recall. I think they were closer to 40.

Instead of starting a new thread, i guess I’ll ask the question right here as its relevant to FIRST social in Atlanta.

This is the first time our team will be attending FIRST Social in Atlanta GA, as last year we missed it because we have to catch out flight.

But what is the social really about? any activities food or what?

It’s about going head to head against someone on a rival team by standing on posts with jousts and pushing eachother off! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a great time and place to fill up, catch a great act, listen to music, watch the fireworks, socialize with teams, and most importantly, relax and celebrate what you’ve accomplished over the past year.

It’s a great time and place to fill up, catch a great act, listen to music, watch the fireworks, socialize with teams, and most importantly, relax and celebrate what you’ve accomplished over the past year.

Hi all,
This is my first post on Chief Delphi. I’m one of the Team 971 “mentors” (meaning, I’m a mom who gets the team where it needs to go, buys what needs to be bought, and pulls all-nighters so that the team can keep working on their robot! Boy, the things we do for our kids!)

It’s good to know that those of you more experienced than I am couldn’t find info on the Championship Social either. Very frustrating! I was wondering why the tickets are likely to be so expensive ($40 per person?), but it sounds like this is quite an event: not just food, but entertainment, fireworks, etc? Can someone who has been to it before tell me more about what to expect? Our team is also very social, but I have to poll them to find out if they’d spend that much money on a ticket (might be hard for some of them.)

Thanks for the info. See ya in Atlanta!

Hi all,
This is my first post on Chief Delphi. I’m one of the Team 971 “mentors” (meaning, I’m a mom who gets the team where it needs to go, buys what needs to be bought, and pulls all-nighters so that the team can keep working on their robot! Boy, the things we do for our kids!)

It’s good to know that those of you more experienced than I am couldn’t find info on the Championship Social either. Very frustrating! I was wondering why the tickets are likely to be so expensive ($40 per person?), but it sounds like this is quite an event: not just food, but entertainment, fireworks, etc? Can someone who has been to it before tell me more about what to expect? Our team is also very social, but I have to poll them to find out if they’d spend that much money on a ticket (might be hard for some of them.)

Thanks for the info. See ya in Atlanta!

Last year they had lots of inflatable obsticle courses, some carnival rides, fireworks, foods, lots of drinks, come carnival games, entertainment, and of course, FIREWORKS!

Hi SASM and welcome to the forum. I am a robotics dad and yes we parents do a lot but it is worth it! This will be my third Championship event and yes we are happy to have it in Atlanta. You and your team will have to be the judge for yourself to determine if it may be worth the money. I think the memories of it will stay with your students for a long time.

The Championship Social is held at Centennial Olympic Park which is right there within a very short walking distance from the GA Dome. The party is of course outside but is a closed event to all that don’t have tickets. There is food, soda’s, water, iced tea everywhere. There is always a stage type show. There are many different events and games for the students to participate in. There is a fireworks show after 9PM.

I will let others elaborate on this but one more thing, Atlanta weather can be strange in April. Two years ago we had great weather for the social but last year it was very chilly so bring a jacket just in case.

Dave

1. I think the wrap party information is due to be released this coming week so watch for it on the FIRST website.
  2. The entertainment in the past has been great - included a hypnotist show, a “cirque-du-soleil” type show, etc. The food is served buffet-style and there is usually plenty of it. Tables and chairs are set up so you can sit and eat and watch the shows if you want, or talk to other teams, or you can walk around and experience the other carnival-type booths (if they do that again this year)… The fireworks have been awesome. If your team can afford it I highly recommend attending as it’s a great way to end your trip to Atlanta and the 2006 FIRST season.
  3. For sasm and dangerousdave and all you other mentors who get teams where they need to be, please consider joining NEMO (Non-Engineering Mentor Organization) which was created just for you! PM or e-mail me if you have any questions. We will be getting together in Atlanta for a NEMO meet-and-greet.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info! Yes, being an active Robotics Team parent is definitely worth it! These kids are so inspiring (and fun!)

I’ll check the weather before we leave “sunny” California (where it’s been raining almost non-stop for weeks) :frowning:

On behalf of all out-of-towners, thanks for hosting us in your city! I’ve never been to Atlanta and am looking forward to the trip (and to seeing a close friend of mine who also lives in Marietta :slight_smile:

Sheri

Last year we purchased tickets from the THS reps. located outside the pit area. Tickets were not readily available and we were put on a waiting list.

FYI - We were required to pay for the tickets by either Bank Check or personal check - they did not accept credit card payment. (Believe me, it was no small task getting a bank check on short notice in Atlanta where we don’t have a bank account!)

Make sure you have all the purchase information prior to getting to the event!

Also - if you have a small team - put out the word that your looking for tickets. One year were able to scrounge up enough extra tickets from various teams and give them to a team from the Bronx who did not book through THS!

The information has been released (see FIRST E-mail Blast). I can’t wait to see the Atlanta Drumline and the Rhythm Extreme (check out their video)!