200pt strategy.

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/10/2001 4:18 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and If only we had free donuts…

Okay Ninnylovers listen up.

go look at the scores at UTC and i tell ya, a 200pt score would easily get u in the finals there…and i’m almost sure that it will be the same or perhaps +10 to +20 at NATS.

Now, if you think about it, what are the easiest ways to score 200pts??? or even 250? think hard…very hard. i tell u, it will involve balancing at least 1 goal (which is a heck of a lot easier esp. with a wedge), 3 bots in the endzone, 1 goal filled with small balls, and no big balls… time left >60secs.

u do the math.

UH OH…i’ve shown an obvious strategy… it’s so easy to do this strat cuz in every match almost all robots can work together to accomplish this. (give or take a few with non-working bots).

Does this mean because everyone knows this that scores might average higher now? heck no… i am sure many teams out there will still try all their functions and fail miserably :)…but hey, they spent 6 weeks building a bot that does that…why the heck not right?

I tell you, if you are partnered with this ninny in florida, I WILL insist on a strategy that’s simple and works consistently. I will try my best to avoid failed promises, attempts, and ninny coaches who think their robot can do everything. 200pt matches arent bad and they wont lower your score. The average scores at UTC was somewhere at 150pts (which is so easily done if u think about it). I’d rather get 200pts consistently, than a series of failed attempts at 500pts that end up failing and giving us 40pts.

dont you agree??? well, we’ll have to see…

-anton abaya
rambots, #419

ps. y am i posting at 4:17am?

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 03/10/2001 4:25 AM EST

Student on team #368, Kika Mana, from McKinley High School and Nasa Ames/Hawaiian Electric/Weinberg Foundation.

In Reply to: 200pt strategy.
Posted by Anton Abaya on 03/10/2001 4:18 AM EST:

I’m not sure, but somehow I forsee the average score of the qualifying matches RISING as the weeks progress. Well, that IS if teams are watching these past matches. In either case, I can easily see the average QP’s for top teams at the nationals to be well over 300.
With a reliable 'bot that balances 2 goals every round, this is definitely possible (with almost any partners…e-mail me if you REALLY want to know). However, at times, I doubt my own credability because of the speed at which these high-scoring rounds are being performed. Maybe I’m overestimating how fast certain tasks can be done…but oh well…just gotta wait until Silicon Valley to find out.

Just my personal thoughts (as ALWAYS)…

Chris, #368

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/11/2001 12:15 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and If only we had free donuts…

In Reply to: Not so sure about this one…
Posted by Chris Orimoto on 03/10/2001 4:25 AM EST:

sure, i agree…

robots will improve, strategies will improve, and drivers will have gotten more practice.

murphys law (oh no!)

out of the ~370 teams in fl, they will make too many mistakes :slight_smile: fun and learning mistakes.

time will tell.

-anton

Posted by bill whitley at 03/10/2001 11:45 AM EST

Student on team #70, Auto City Bandits, from Powers Catholic High School and Kettering University.

I watched WMR yesterday and was appalled by the low scores, and by the horrible decisions people made on the field. (killing the clock with 45 seconds left, and then watching the bridge fall out of balance, etc) Everyone tries for scores that are nearly unattainable for that allaince. Go for something simple. Aim for 200-250 points. I did see there that 200-250 will not win you anymore regionals though. Beateys average was an astounding 335! Most alliances are not capable of this, its not worth trying for it and failing for a score of 40. I also am going to be insisting against these complicated strategies. If you cant explain what you want to do in under 30 seconds, its too complicated.

Bill
Team #70

Posted by mike oleary at 03/10/2001 2:24 PM EST

Student on team #419, rambots, from bc high and sponsors are overrated…go pocket-change robots!!!.

: ps. y am i posting at 4:17am?

yeah i was gonna ask that question myself

Posted by Tom at 03/11/2001 12:25 AM EST

Other on team #419 from Umass.

c: Okay Ninnylovers listen up.

: go look at the scores at UTC and i tell ya, a 200pt score would easily get u in the finals there…and i’m almost sure that it will be the same or perhaps +10 to +20 at NATS.

: Now, if you think about it, what are the easiest ways to score 200pts??? or even 250? think hard…very hard. i tell u, it will involve balancing at least 1 goal (which is a heck of a lot easier esp. with a wedge), 3 bots in the endzone, 1 goal filled with small balls, and no big balls… time left >60secs.

: u do the math.

: UH OH…i’ve shown an obvious strategy… it’s so easy to do this strat cuz in every match almost all robots can work together to accomplish this. (give or take a few with non-working bots).

: Does this mean because everyone knows this that scores might average higher now? heck no… i am sure many teams out there will still try all their functions and fail miserably :)…but hey, they spent 6 weeks building a bot that does that…why the heck not right?

: I tell you, if you are partnered with this ninny in florida, I WILL insist on a strategy that’s simple and works consistently. I will try my best to avoid failed promises, attempts, and ninny coaches who think their robot can do everything. 200pt matches arent bad and they wont lower your score. The average scores at UTC was somewhere at 150pts (which is so easily done if u think about it). I’d rather get 200pts consistently, than a series of failed attempts at 500pts that end up failing and giving us 40pts.

: dont you agree??? well, we’ll have to see…

: -anton abaya
: rambots, #419

Hey dude thinking at that time is just wrong, but it sound good to me…just make other teams believe it…dude you missed a nice snow-B. day…

tn

Posted by Tom at 03/11/2001 12:25 AM EST

c: Okay Ninnylovers listen up.

: go look at the scores at UTC and i tell ya, a 200pt score would easily get u in the finals there…and i’m almost sure that it will be the same or perhaps +10 to +20 at NATS.

: Now, if you think about it, what are the easiest ways to score 200pts??? or even 250? think hard…very hard. i tell u, it will involve balancing at least 1 goal (which is a heck of a lot easier esp. with a wedge), 3 bots in the endzone, 1 goal filled with small balls, and no big balls… time left >60secs.

: u do the math.

: UH OH…i’ve shown an obvious strategy… it’s so easy to do this strat cuz in every match almost all robots can work together to accomplish this. (give or take a few with non-working bots).

: Does this mean because everyone knows this that scores might average higher now? heck no… i am sure many teams out there will still try all their functions and fail miserably :)…but hey, they spent 6 weeks building a bot that does that…why the heck not right?

: I tell you, if you are partnered with this ninny in florida, I WILL insist on a strategy that’s simple and works consistently. I will try my best to avoid failed promises, attempts, and ninny coaches who think their robot can do everything. 200pt matches arent bad and they wont lower your score. The average scores at UTC was somewhere at 150pts (which is so easily done if u think about it). I’d rather get 200pts consistently, than a series of failed attempts at 500pts that end up failing and giving us 40pts.

: dont you agree??? well, we’ll have to see…

: -anton abaya
: rambots, #419

Hey dude thinking at that time is just wrong, but it sound good to me…just make other teams believe it…dude you missed a nice snow-B. day…

tn

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/11/2001 12:33 AM EST

In Reply to: Anton, the true Politician
Posted by Tom on 03/11/2001 12:25 AM EST:

they also told me not to disassemble my toys cuz i break em…

mwhahahahaha…i must show them my wobot.

-anton

Posted by Tom at 03/11/2001 12:39 AM EST

In Reply to: my parents are both politicians…what can i say?
Posted by Anton Abaya on 03/11/2001 12:33 AM EST:

go back home and start taking the house apart, show then the ninny skills you learned…hey did you get my message about the ski trip…hey what should i do to all my pc to get it net-work ready…as in software wise…would you mind coming to pc foreveryone someday…i need some parts for a new one…fig…you know more about the processor…spec…and stuff and type of ram…

tn

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/11/2001 11:09 PM EST

In Reply to: with your new powertool skill you should…
Posted by Tom on 03/11/2001 12:39 AM EST:

: go back home and start taking the house apart, show then the ninny skills you learned…hey did you get my message about the ski trip…hey what should i do to all my pc to get it net-work ready…as in software wise…would you mind coming to pc foreveryone someday…i need some parts for a new one…fig…you know more about the processor…spec…and stuff and type of ram…

: tn

when? lets do it. now that i still have money.

-anton

Posted by mike oleary at 03/11/2001 1:03 PM EST

Student on team #419, rambots, from bc high and sponsors are overrated…go pocket-change robots!!!.

In Reply to: my parents are both politicians…what can i say?
Posted by Anton Abaya on 03/11/2001 12:33 AM EST:

i have away about me and things…if i touch them, theyre likely to misteriously…break…my brothers the same way only when he does it, he does it subtly and it just doesnt work anymore cuz he screwed it up…whereas with me it just sort of falls apart…or i take it apart the right way, by taking all the screws out and stuff, but then when i go to put it back together i can never quite remember what goes where

: they also told me not to disassemble my toys cuz i break em…

: mwhahahahaha…i must show them my wobot.

: -anton

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/11/2001 11:08 PM EST

In Reply to: Re: my parents are both politicians…what can i say?
Posted by mike oleary on 03/11/2001 1:03 PM EST:

: i have away about me and things…if i touch them, theyre likely to misteriously…break…my brothers the same way only when he does it, he does it subtly and it just doesnt work anymore cuz he screwed it up…whereas with me it just sort of falls apart…or i take it apart the right way, by taking all the screws out and stuff, but then when i go to put it back together i can never quite remember what goes where

: : they also told me not to disassemble my toys cuz i break em…

: : mwhahahahaha…i must show them my wobot.

: : -anton

Posted by Jeff W. at 03/11/2001 12:57 AM EST

Student on team #419, RAMBOTS, from Boston College High School and Don’t think we actually have a sponsor.

:ps. y am i posting at 4:17am?

Anton,you should sleep and stop playing Quake.

Jeff W.