2017 Beach Bot Battle

Looking forward to it!

I learned today that the NASA Stennis Space Center’s mobile machine shop will be supporting this event.

I also learned that we have a high chance NASA’s Dave Lavery will be coming, confirmation coming soon. I was able to hear him discuss the Curiosity Rover with students in New Orleans last fall and he is an amazing person.
https://robotics.nasa.gov/management.php

We currently only have 4 teams committed, please email me at clinton.brawley@gulfportschools.org to get signed up and/or for more information.

. . .

. . .

Guess I’m going to Mississippi this summer.

Will NASA also support my trip to Mississippi for the talk? :wink:

Today is the last day to register at the reduced $250 fee; after today it goes up to $300.

Currently we have 7 teams confirmed:

Email clinton.brawley@gulfportschools.org to register.

Just an update, we are at 8 teams now.

We will be having the event and we will allow teams to bring a second robot for no extra charge.

Current teams are:

Here is the tentative agenda. Teams can elect to travel the morning of 7/16/17, they will just have to get ready quickly upon arrival.

Beach Bot Battle Agenda
Friday 7/14/17
4 PM -8 PM Load in/pit set up
5 PM -8PM robot inspection
6 PM -8PM Practice matches

Saturday 7/15/17
7 AM – Pits open, load in, and robot inspection continue
8 AM – 9 AM Practice Matches/field calibration
9:30 AM – Opening Ceremony
10 AM – Qualification matches begin
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM Lunch
1:30 PM – 3:15 PM Qualification matches continue
3:30 PM – Alliance selection
4 PM – Playoffs
5 PM – Awards ceremony

SS Prometheus 2992 has thrown our name in as of today I believe. We are very much looking forward to playing with our many friends at this event – and maybe making some new friends too!

Yes you did, the current team list is below. We are looking forward to a fun time!

Great news, the beach bot battle is up to 12 teams!

26 days left till the event!

Looking forward to working with and hanging out with all our friends and old alliance partners :smiley: and possibly/hopefully making new friends too!

3946 will not be competing at B3. Due mostly to our loss of build space, our robot is barely in demo capability, much less competition capability. :frowning: We are currently in “storage” mode, making repairs in a space that makes us look forward to working in a 10’x10’ pit, and doing drive testing in a a carport. The second best drive space we’ve had this summer was when we re-positioned some tables in the public library for a demo during the summer reading program kickoff, and the best was a middle school gym for another demo. Still working to carve out some build and practice and programming space, and hoping for a break this week, but it will be too late for this event.

Oh no! Is there anything we can do to help? Maybe it may be possible for you guys to get to B3 a little bit early on that friday and have some practice and repair time?

If you guys do come to B3 we will have our full competition pit setup with all sorts of spare parts, belt sander, band saw, mini drill press etc, and you guys would be 100 percent welcome to use them if needed. We will also have a considerable amount of students attending, so you would also be welcome to borrow 1 or 2 people to assist in repairs etc. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help.

Thanks for the offer, but in this case, the issue is more software than hardware. We lost our programming mentor of the first five years, and a few key points were missed in turning over to the new one. We’ve decided to re-code the robot from the ground up, and we’ve scheduled a programmer summer camp to do this, but due to our facilities issues and mentor schedules, it won’t happen until the week of 16-22 July - the week after B3. Our founder and founding lead programmer, Gixxy, will be coming down from Ruston to head this up.

OBTW - if anyone in the area wants to attend a programming camp based on Java using Robot Builder and the Command Based model that week and is in driving range of Slidell, PM me and we can probably fit you in. The format is a highly practical course, with the goal of programming a specific robot (our 2017 robot - and we’re working mechanically to get the practice robot to be a near twin of the competition robot). Specific hours still TBD, but probably mid-morning to early evening for five days.

If it means anything, I would be glad to help you guys get up and running on the software side, and could probably have code running with full functionality in about an hour or so on Friday. I can do it in Java or LabVIEW if it matters, though LabVIEW would be quicker.

I know that there are probably other circumstances, but I just wanted to throw the support out there. It’s always great to help out teams from the area!

Same, we have two programmers that are very quick in labview, and 1 that’s good in java, and can get you guys up and running that friday.

Thank You Fusion for hosting an excellent event! We really had a lot of fun, and are already looking forward to next year. Congratulations to 456 Siege Robotics, 4087 Falcon Robotics, and 1912 Combustion on win!

Thanks everyone for coming out! I feel like the event ran smoothly and there was a lot of fun matches played. Congrats to 456, 4087, and 1912 on the win at the first annual Mississippi power Beach Bot Battle! We will see all of you at RSR in August.

We are hoping to expand the event and make it even bigger next year at a better venue. We would love to see you all again!

Absolutely, Fusion did a great job putting this event together. Their team and FTA Eddie Melton were able to overcome a very difficult situation with the field set hardware to keep the event fun and competitive. We appreciate how much effort it takes to host and we too look forward to seeing how this event grows in the new venue next year.

Fusion hosted a first class event, having to overcome a venue change due to construction delays and field hardware challenges. The event ran very smoothly, and 2992 SS Prometheus had a great experience and for sure will be back in future years.

Congrats to 456 Siege, 4087 Falcon, and 1912 Combustion for a great win. That alliance played some of the strongest defense we have seen all season!

Finally, we wanted to say a big thanks to everyone from Fusion who put together the team social on the beach Friday evening. The food was terrific, and the setting was beautiful.

Mike