Not sure if you’re looking to compile cool examples of 3d printed parts or a database of 3D printed COTS parts. There were a few standard/COTS parts we printed that might be useful to you such as various size spacers, belt pulleys, etc. But the most useful 3D printed parts for us were the customized parts.
-Linear slides that fit over 1 inch square tubing
-Printed pneumatic brake that fully captures the 1/4-28 nut and captures a piece of 25 chain to act as a brake into our HAB sprocket
-Entire rear HAB wheel assembly for easy replacement
-Lots more random custom parts
When I have enough time to go through our cad I can round up a long list if cool stuff we had. In addition to part of our drive gearboxes, a lot of our elevator was printed including all of the string routing brackets. Our hatch mechanism also had some pretty cool printed parts on it. Everything pretty much was done on our markforged.
Give me a week or two and I’ll get some pictures and CAD files.
We 3D printed a few spacers and stuff. I can’t really think of anything too ambitious that we printed this year. Most of our stuff was printed using PLA, except for our hatch panel grabber, which ended up being printed in carbon fiber by our second regional.
Edit: we also may or may not have used a 3D printer to pirate AndyMark’s battery mounting plastic bit in the past
We 3D printed spacers, pulleys for our Drivetrain (yes, they worked fine), mounts for our encoders and potentiometers, bearing blocks for 2X1’s, clips to mount the talon board, RoboRio Mounts so that we didn’t mount it directly to the bellypan, a CIM to VersaPlanetary adapter because it was quicker and easier for us to just print it in house, and gears to test fit the wrist on our arm while the gears from Vex were still shipping. All of this was printed on a Mojo printer out of ABS+. As a side note, we do 100% infill for all these parts.
We printed a number of drivetrain spacers (experimenting with that as opposed to cutting them), and a number of different camera mounts. Everything was printed out of MatterHackers PRO Series PLA. We had a few failures when the robot tipped backward directly onto the limelight mount, but we upped the infill percentage and haven’t seen any of the new ones break.
One quick idea: Establish some standard tags to use on Thingiverse, here, etc. Maybe establish use of #frc tag on Thingiverse and #3DPrinting here to make things more findable?
Also, it seems like 3D printing needs its own channel on CD since as an overall topic it is way more active than other things that do have their own channels. Is there even a Manufacturing channel? Seems like there’s enough discussion about CAM, manual manufacturing tools, and 3D printing that that there should be.
Brake - Attached to a piston and had a short length of 25 chain captured in it. It was thrust onto a sprocket to stop our hab from moving when we didnt want it to. Went through many iterations before the chain with a simple triangle shape, a smooth curve, a roughened curve with a sprocket shape cut into it and finally a captured piece of chain.
Front and rear hab wheel assemblies. Before we automated our HAB climb we replaced these quite often, 3D printing was a great decision to both allow them to be the first failure point to protect the robot and allow for easy replacement
More 1x1 tubing linear slides for our hatch grabber. The bigger piece in the front also attached to the cargo holder and served as the main bracing for the cantilevered hatch grabber. Went through many iterations and also many replacements as it took the full force of the weight of the scoring mechanisms the few times our lift came crashing down.
We didn’t want to wait for parts to ship, so we printed some 24t HTD pulleys for our intake/climb arm. The first few we printed were a bit narrow from flange-to-flange, at 15.25mm. That being said, the narrow pulleys work and survived for all of CSC this weekend. The part was split to prevent needing to use supports, and cyanoacrylate glue was used to bond the two halves. In addition, I glued in two 1/16" dowel pins for additional strength. These were printed on a Markforged with their Onyx nylon filament; though I only was convinced to try this after seeing PLA printed pulleys this season on various robots.