2018/2019 Printed Parts - PLA, ABS, Nylon, PETG

Still looking for more examples of printed parts if folks have any. I haven’t found anything super interesting on thingiverse yet.

When I have enough time to go through our cad I can round up a long list if cool stuff we had. In addition to part of our drive gearboxes, a lot of our elevator was printed including all of the string routing brackets. Our hatch mechanism also had some pretty cool printed parts on it. Everything pretty much was done on our markforged.

Give me a week or two and I’ll get some pictures and CAD files.

We printed a PLA case for our Raspberry Pi. I’ll see if I can get the student who did that to post it. We also stole team 95’s case for the microsoft lifecam FRC 95 The Grasshoppers 2019 Build Thread.

1 Like

We used a couple of the Vex 90 degree drives on our robot. They were great, but the bevel gears are completely exposed so I designed and printed a cover for them out of PETG.

Vex versaplanetary 90 degree drive cover

We actually used a fair amount of 3D printing on our robot this year, I’ll try and find some other useful things.

4 Likes

That part looks rad! Also I really appreciate the sldprt

1 Like

You might like this PVC prototyping system by 3847 (Spectrum): Protopipe - Spectrum 3847

Or this prototyping system by 5254 (HYPE): Team 5254 3D Printed Prototyping Resources

I’m going to print some of these pieces to play with in the off-season

3 Likes

We 3D printed a few spacers and stuff. I can’t really think of anything too ambitious that we printed this year. Most of our stuff was printed using PLA, except for our hatch panel grabber, which ended up being printed in carbon fiber by our second regional.

Edit: we also may or may not have used a 3D printer to pirate AndyMark’s battery mounting plastic bit in the past

We 3D printed spacers, pulleys for our Drivetrain (yes, they worked fine), mounts for our encoders and potentiometers, bearing blocks for 2X1’s, clips to mount the talon board, RoboRio Mounts so that we didn’t mount it directly to the bellypan, a CIM to VersaPlanetary adapter because it was quicker and easier for us to just print it in house, and gears to test fit the wrist on our arm while the gears from Vex were still shipping. All of this was printed on a Mojo printer out of ABS+. As a side note, we do 100% infill for all these parts.

1 Like

We printed a number of drivetrain spacers (experimenting with that as opposed to cutting them), and a number of different camera mounts. Everything was printed out of MatterHackers PRO Series PLA. We had a few failures when the robot tipped backward directly onto the limelight mount, but we upped the infill percentage and haven’t seen any of the new ones break.

One quick idea: Establish some standard tags to use on Thingiverse, here, etc. Maybe establish use of #frc tag on Thingiverse and #3DPrinting here to make things more findable?

Also, it seems like 3D printing needs its own channel on CD since as an overall topic it is way more active than other things that do have their own channels. Is there even a Manufacturing channel? Seems like there’s enough discussion about CAM, manual manufacturing tools, and 3D printing that that there should be.

You’re currently posting in it :slight_smile:

:hushed: Reminder to self: slow down, look around… I think I looked once and couldn’t find it … now here I am… still, maybe a sub-group for 3dP thanks

Brake - Attached to a piston and had a short length of 25 chain captured in it. It was thrust onto a sprocket to stop our hab from moving when we didnt want it to. Went through many iterations before the chain with a simple triangle shape, a smooth curve, a roughened curve with a sprocket shape cut into it and finally a captured piece of chain.

Cylinder mount to a 1x1 square tube

Linear slides for our intake. one of the square cutouts is a tight fit, one is a loose fit for the sliding motion.

Front and rear hab wheel assemblies. Before we automated our HAB climb we replaced these quite often, 3D printing was a great decision to both allow them to be the first failure point to protect the robot and allow for easy replacement

More 1x1 tubing linear slides for our hatch grabber. The bigger piece in the front also attached to the cargo holder and served as the main bracing for the cantilevered hatch grabber. Went through many iterations and also many replacements as it took the full force of the weight of the scoring mechanisms the few times our lift came crashing down.

If anyone has any questions about a specific part I can provide some better screenshots.

4 Likes

We didn’t want to wait for parts to ship, so we printed some 24t HTD pulleys for our intake/climb arm. The first few we printed were a bit narrow from flange-to-flange, at 15.25mm. That being said, the narrow pulleys work and survived for all of CSC this weekend. The part was split to prevent needing to use supports, and cyanoacrylate glue was used to bond the two halves. In addition, I glued in two 1/16" dowel pins for additional strength. These were printed on a Markforged with their Onyx nylon filament; though I only was convinced to try this after seeing PLA printed pulleys this season on various robots.
24t%20htd%20pulley%20half%20v4

modified 24t_x_15mm_HTD Pulley ver4 split thicker.STL (247.1 KB)

1 Like

In the works right now

!
Gearbox and wheel holder
SANY0020|690x388 !
Planetary in a wheel
SANY0021|690x388 !

SANY0022|690x388

Double Rack with 2 pinions.

Stls etc for the new stuff on request as for now that new stuff is untested and fresh of the printer More as it will be developed and check the youtube channel (search for Martin Pirringer)

1 Like

How did printing the robot work out for you? what material and printer did you use etc. We (team 1989) are in the process of doing that and would like to know what to watch out for

Nice herringbone gears! How did you generate the tooth pattern on the pinions: did you just mirror a standard helical gear?

The hatch claws that we used for our hatch intake for our first two events were printed out of TPU. (We switched to a wheeled hatch-intake design for DCMP and CMP)

Our robot radio case was also printed out of TPU.

First we design a true involute helical gear and then mirror it

As our school uses inventor this is what we use. I gave some team members a what you could call “extra credit” Team 1989 homework to figure out to do a true involute herring bone bevel gear set in inventor. Will see what they come up with after the AP tests and finals are over

1 Like

Not sure if this is the type of thing you are looking for, but we used mostly printed swerve drives this year.