2018 Team Update 16

Highlights:

• They’re working on making the scale more robust.
  • There’s on update to WPILib.
  • Until further notice (I’m guessing while they work on making everything more robust), Scale lighting is to be in the outriggers, like it ended up being at the Official Week Zero and at some Week One events.
  • No actual rules changes.

That’s a beautiful photo of the scale (and someone’s phone camera :stuck_out_tongue: )

I’m interested to test out the new wpilib update. It mentioned that it is recommended to teams with cameras. We had a problem last weekend with the robot loosing comm after 25 seconds. We eventually resolved it by unplugging the camera, which hurt us a bit on the field because we couldn’t use it to get those hidden cubes.

We ran our camera for our entire event this weekend with zero issues. What langauage are you using? What library object did you use to utilize your camera?

We use java and the usbCamera class.

Others have reported similar issues here: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163372

That’s the Boss. You’re facing the Boss.

Was there a problem with the lighting that prompted this change?

teams hitting the scale and breaking the lights… We broke a set in Montreal, and we didn’t even hit it hard

I wonder if the audience can still see the lights from the stands. They describe the new lighting placement as “below the outriggers,” so does that mean that anyone directly parallel with the scale can’t see the lights because they are blocked by the outriggers?

Based on last week’s video feed from GNR, where I believe they were using the alternate lighting config, if you’re square with the scale like the full-field camera was, you can’t see the lights. Might be easier in person, though.

Quite sad to see this update, our team had auto code written to use those lights to track the scale plate for auto, it’s sad that wouldn’t get to be tried as of now.

Also I heard that static buildup on the plates was zapping the LEDs and killing them. Can’t confirm though.

Can confirm, this is a true point.

I was the scorekeeper at Palmetto, where we made this changeover for the Saturday matches. No visibility concerns, even when Force was played.

A note to teams: our code broke after updating to this new version of WPIlib (Java) and calling getClosedLoopError() on a TalonSRX. Code worked again after updating CTRE libraries to the new version (we didn’t know there was one until we looked). There is also a new firmware version out for the TalonSRXs.

Did you use vision to track the lights or recieve the data from the field? This year the field is telling the drivers station exactly what colour each of the plates are. Moving the lights will not change that at all.

The point was less to know which side you were on, but rather use it as a quick position check. We looked into lots different uses for vision this year rather than conventional ways, and this is one of the ideas.

At Palmetto, it depended on where you sat. If you were close to center then you couldn’t see the lights through outriggers, but if you were closer to the ends then you could. Drive teams could see them perfectly fine though.

Even if you couldn’t see them, it became very apparent which was which pretty quickly as robots started moving.

I’m disappointed there was no blue box of lessons learned and future guidelines for teams and referees with regards to the herding and launching rules.