2020 Central New York FLL/FTC/FRC Events Postponed

Just reported at FIRST at SUNY Poly

Due to concerns related to COVID-19 and with the health and welfare of our SUNY Poly community, the larger community, and those who visit our campus in mind, our institution has decided it is appropriate to postpone the upcoming FIRST Tech Challenge NY Excelsior Championship on March 14; the Central New York 2020 Regional FIRST Robotics Competition on March 18-21; and the FIRST LEGO League Junior Expo on March 21. This decision was very difficult because we know the teams, volunteers, and spectators are as passionate about these events as we are.

We are assessing next steps, and more information will be posted at http://sunypoly.edu/first as it becomes available.

Alright…
Beat me to my own event postponement Dez.

5 Likes

is postponed different from cancelled?

1 Like

Postponed would intend that they will make the event up, similar to how China is planning on it.

As I get more information from the Regional Director about the future of the event I will be sure to give everyone an update.

1 Like

I have been looking forward to this event for six months. I do not envy any volunteers or employees in charge of this decision. I don’t fault anyone for making it.

But wow, I am really sad.

33 Likes

I am glad that this information was released now, rather than a day or two beforehand, given the distances some of the teams scheduled to attend this event are traveling.

6 Likes

Also gives some teams the opportunity to seek other events.
Like 4930 could still go to FLR.

Definitely let down by the announcement that CNY is being “postponed” to a future date after the championship events (provided those still happen as scheduled).

Considering this change, I wonder if the 2020 CNY event will serve as a qualifier for the 2021 championship? Otherwise I think many teams will just treat this as a (very) expensive 3 day off-season event, or just try to back out and ask for a refund on registration or put it toward another regional this season. The latter-most option would be my preference, but I feel like we’re just playing whack-a-mole by dropping one cancelled event in favor of another that might be cancelled in the future.

5 Likes

I would certainly like the opportunity to switch to a different pre-champs regional, but at this point I don’t even know if I can recoup our hotel fees.

My team is going to Finger lakes next week. As a senior in HS I’m really worried about the season getting ruined by COVID 19. At the same time erring on the side of caution is the correct course of action. I don’t want to see the USA lose control over the situation because of a FIRST event.

2 Likes

At the moment there are no plans to cancel or postpone FLR.

1 Like

Besides losing out on over $200 for a hotel room (non refundable rate on Hotels.com) I am also scrambling to find another event to volunteer at. Most like Greater Pittsburgh.

1 Like

Talk to them, since this is act of god type stuff they may work with you.

1 Like

Those dominoes are falling

Called them and they approved a refund. I am pleased.

10 Likes

The hotel refunded our money with no issue at all.

3 Likes

3193 was really looking forward to this one–the small number of teams looked like a lot of fun, and the kids were ready for the team social. However, after receiving our email of Friday, we contacted FIRST Customer Services and were fortunate to get our entry transferred to the Buckeye Regional and the last slot left there. Now, here’s hoping Buckeye will still be on 2.5 weeks from now (but to be honest, I’m not optimistic). Best of luck to you all, and hope to see you next year!

For anyone watching here, please pay attention to this thread as well: 2020 FRC Events Affected by COVID-19