2020 Code Review Party

FRC Team 166, the Chop Shop, would like to announce our first Code Review Party.

Given that the season is effectively ended, we thought it would be a fun idea to have teams learn from each other another way. Each team that signs up will be given another team’s code to examine and provide feedback. We ask that teams be respectful, and be looking for ways that both they and the teams that they review can learn and grow their software for the future. We will be connecting teams based on language, to help teams get the most benefit.

To sign up, fill out the form HERE.

Rules:

• Registration will be open until 4/1/2020, at which point we will match up teams.
  • Reviewing is an open-ended task, but we request that teams have reviews finished by 5/1/2020. This will allow teams to incorporate the feedback in their code for offseason competitions and future training.
  • If we get enough teams signed up, we would like to give each team several other teams to review, to improve exposure to other concepts.
  • Helpful feedback only - things like “use this language instead” are not helpful, most teams have a reason to use their chosen language.
  • Feel free to ask questions!
  • Reviews should be conducted via repository issues. This will help reduce the number of places to check for feedback. Suggestion is to have a single central issue, use a checklist for minor comments, and separate linked issues for major comments.
  • By signing up, your team agrees to make their code open to review, and agrees to review the code of the team(s) they are given.
10 Likes

How will we be notified who we’re matched up with?

You know, I KNEW there was an important thing missing on the form. I’ll add that, just a contact email. If you’ve filled out the form already, and it didn’t have the email field, then just PM me and I’ll add it manually

1 Like

Just to clarify, is the code languages selection the language(s) our code is written in or the language(s) that we are comfortable reviewing?

The language that the code is written in

Update: We have a good turnout so far, but I’d just like to remind people that the sign ups are open until April 1st. We would especially like to see teams of all languages participate. While Java is the most common, labview and c++ teams have signed up, and would benefit from other teams’ experience.

Update: I’m extending sign ups until the midnight Thursday. If you want to participate, now’s your chance. We’ll be emailing out the teams that each of you will be assigned, by the end of the day Friday.

We would definitely like more LabVIEW and C++ teams to sign up - as it is, the vast majority of the teams are Java teams.

Out of curiosity, how many teams have signed up so far?

Fifteen teams so far

My team uses Java. I am an engineer and I primarily use LabVIEW. I have been programming for 20 years and would like to think I pretty good at it. If you have a LabVIEW team that would like someone to look over their code I would be happy to do that.

I have a LabVIEW only vision processing system that I plan to release to everyone later this year. Right now I have it running multi camera (6). Most of the cameras are running at 160fps 640X320 with vision processing. I have some of the cameras running at 30fps when they are used for driver interaction with no vision processing required. Let me know.

Which teams have signed up?

As of yesterday at 8:30pm ET:

That’s odd, one of our mentors said he would sign us up a week ago.

Yeah, I may have left this rotting in my inbox for a bit too long…
Good thing I have awesome students to handle it for me (and rightly call me out).

2 Likes

Is it too late to sign up?

Sign up! I can’t update the original post, but we’re giving a couple of extra days (partially because it makes some time frames easier)

1 Like

You can sign up until midnight tomorrow, so you’re good.

1 Like

Does the vision system run on the robot?

Yes we have it running on a mini HP computer. It is 2.2 lbs of pure power.

1 Like

A few hours left to sign up! Here is the current team list:

1 Like