2020 FMA District Events Now Closed to Public

As per an email sent out to lead contacts:

Mod edit (Tyler): Please note: This is an excerpt not the entire email. Teams in FMA please have team leads check their emails.

19 Likes

…How is this going to be enforced? Honor system?

At the end of the day I see the benefit here being stricter requirement of having documentation of exactly who attended these event in the case of an outbreak.

From my experience this past weekend at Waterbury in NE, the event took awesome common sense steps to mitigate spread of any sickness. Hand sanitizers was everywhere, everyone at the event was encouraged to not shake hands, bump fists, or have close contact. The awards ceremony was not disrupted either because they just had the judges applauding as we walked by.

If this means that the 2020 season continues, I’m all for it.

55 Likes

It’s not easy to make these decisions on the fly. I have a profound respect for everyone at FIRST Mid-Atlantic for putting a plan together and figuring things out during these troubling times.

9 Likes

Please note: This is an excerpt not the entire email. Teams in FMA please have team leads check their emails.

2 Likes

I’m also curious how many people from the “public” normally attend these events. I feel like 20-30 people won’t make a significant difference, unless most parents aren’t registered.

1 Like

I’m gonna guess this is the case.

Plus grandparents

Siblings

Teachers

So on.

9 Likes

How practical is it to go Detroit/Houston style and go with nametags for all event attendees?

2 Likes

I think this (perhaps along with a limitation on how many team members can attend from each team) is a very reasonable compromise, that allows the season to continue but reduces the risk. Along with other measures, such as having 2 team reps accept awards (man, I would have love that years ago), to minimize contact.

2 Likes

Interesting.

I’m gonna hazard a guess and say the overlap who follow both circles is very small, but the Arnold Classic this past weekend also was closed to spectators but still allowed registered competitors to attend and canceled the expo. From what I gathered, the event was significantly more empty and a lot of vendors took a huge hit in expected sales, but overall the competitions were somewhat successful.

I could see a lot of events ultimately closing themselves to the public.

2 Likes

So does this mean if a parent/guardian is in TIMS they are able to attend the event(s)? I’m an FMA team with our 1st event this weekend so I’m curious. Thanks!

It is probably possible if there is sufficient time to get all the materials and equipment in place before the event. Knowing some of the local tournament directors, the last thing they need in the few weeks before the event they are hosting is to figure out how to add such a system.

At Quebec Regional events, participants are issued wrist bands which must be worn for the duration of the event. I can imagine the Event organizers issuing wrist bands to Coaches strictly for the Team Members and Mentors registered in the FIRST system. No wrist band = no access to the site.

Wait does Michigan not have name badges for all team members and mentors? In North Carolina all non registered attendees have to wear wristbands, and all registered members are required to wear their tag. This may not be as feasible in a large district like Michigan but it works for us.

Michigan doesn’t have anything like that.

3 Likes

Both Arkansas and Bayou have name tags for volunteers, but not for mentors or team members.

All events have name tags for volunteers, its apart of being put into VIMS.
Most events use this as the way to only allow volunteers into the break room for lunch.

So does this mean if a parent/guardian is in TIMS they are able to attend the event(s)? I’m an FMA team with our 1st event this weekend so I’m curious. Thanks!

The email from FMA states “…must be registered team members (student or coach/mentor) in the Team Registration System)…” then talks about volunteers. there is no mention of parents, siblings, etc.

1 Like

I suspected as much but I’m going to get this questions from parents so I wanted to make sure I had an answer. Thanks!

The email also implies the possibility of limiting the number of individuals allowed to attend from each team. I won’t be surprised if they have a cap of 10-20 students/mentors per team.

1 Like