2020 Season Long Fantasy FIRST: General Thread

Yeah, slot in President’s Day weekend for waivers (I forget which specific day I was picking on) unless we have an MIA. In-season waivers as normal (but with about half the district action on a good day).

MIA waivers would be scheduled within a few days on a 2-a-day, or possibly on an off day if enough interest was had.

Robotics Three Zero has chucked me an invite to be on their team for 2020.

4 Likes
  1. Falcon (EricH)
  2. Jack Tervay Fan Club (Brian_Maher, TDav540, saikiranra, abbymarie, PJ, JackS)
  3. Salty Spitoon (Miklast)
  4. The Breakfast Company (BrennanB, tmpoles, Golfer4646, tindleroot, niklas701)
  5. The Lunch Company (nomythicalbeast, hailey.faiella, snapdragon, max_boord, Csherm, ThatSoftwareGuy)
  6. Instant Regret (cobbie, Attention, Matthew_Levis, DJ_2910) [Hoping for one more]
  7. Making All Rookies Into Options (jtrv, katherinehulle, stryker, Optimal, AcesJames, pchild)
  8. Robotics Three 6 Zero (Kaitlynmm569, EricKline, Evan_S, Thequackmaster, jmcquie)
  9. The Snacc Company (CBrosch0, CurtisB42, alyssag3, Darre)
  10. Th3 B0yz (dkerschbaum, Twoandahalflads, [another person w/o CD])
  11. Flux Capacity (MetroMan19, TBKahouna) [openings still available]
  12. The Good Attempt, Season 2: The Great Mistake (Erik2175)

Looking for Team:
SPang

1 Like

Based off of the results:

Doesn’t seem to be much consensus, generally people would prefer to get pinged, but not to the degree that it needs to be ready for Nov 1st.

Will aim to have it be an optional opt in feature for those that want it, and for those that don’t, no need to opt in! No promises for when that may be implemented, so going forward, no pings will be sent.

Just pushed this feature: delay any specific draft by 1-59 minutes at a time. Will fix the longer than 60 minute bug in a later update.

To use, indicate tier, followed by “delay” and the minutes you would like to delay the draft.

eg: t1 delay 20

Delays Tier 1 by 20 minutes. If there are no tiers, you don’t need to specify a tier.

I have a couple of announcements to make…

First: This year’s draft spreadsheet is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S2LlcX1icATGu-t98rPV2WHY6R_48jagJrMC6j-hKXA/edit?usp=sharing @BrennanB
I’ll be working on a Calendar unless someone beats me to it. That might take a while.
Second: Rules are posted at paper: Season Long Fantasy FIRST Rules

There are a couple of changes that will be made to the draft/schedule/other sheet; the first is that there will be a tab with the player rosters, and the second will be a tab of draft results.

3 Likes

Can I pretty up the spreadsheet some like I did last year

2 Likes

One thing that I think should be outlined in the newest iteration of the rules: who is responsible for updating picks in the spreadsheet at various points in time: Immediately after the draft? Random midseason free agent swap? Waivers? Is posting anywhere on CD required (and if so, where), or is editing the sheet enough to indicate swaps?

2 Likes

Got a request in to apply the attendance rule to the main sheet in conditional formatting etc. But go for it.

@Brian_Maher Immediately after is the draft runner or program. Free agent swap would be the person doing the swapping, and post on CD as well (otherwise it looks like an error). Waivers… all-hands effort I suppose, but if we’re running one person coordinating and one cleaning up that would make it near real-time.

1 Like
  1. Falcon (EricH)
  2. Jack Tervay Fan Club (Brian_Maher, TDav540, saikiranra, abbymarie, PJ, JackS)
  5. The Lunch Company (nomythicalbeast, hailey.faiella, snapdragon, max_boord, Csherm, ThatSoftwareGuy)
  6. Instant Regret (cobbie, Attention, Matthew_Levis, DJ_2910) [Hoping for one more]
  7. Making All Rookies Into Options (jtrv, katherinehulle, stryker, Optimal, AcesJames, pchild)
  8. Robotics Three 6 Zero (Kaitlynmm569, EricKline, Evan_S, Thequackmaster, jmcquie)
  13. (unnamed solo team) (drwhorx)

Looking for a team:
SPang

(idk if solo teams are still allowed but if so then yeet)

I’m sorry, but you are currently Looking for a Team along with Spang.

It’s in the rules–New solo teams are NOT allowed; grandfathered (Falcon, Salty Spitoon, and TGA2:TGM) solo teams are.

1 Like

huh, i can still start a team tho with a couple friends right?

Yep, if you can get one together before the deadline. (10/27 as I recall).
@Spang and @WilliamHurley are still looking for a team.

1 Like

i already have one from last year so i’ll just reboot the lawnmowers team

1. Falcon (EricH)
  13. The Lawnmowers (drwhorx, tikiman1701, smatkinsmith, cballard)
3 Likes

Hey, I’d like to start some discussion about a pet peeve of mine: the tendency of running similar drafts on the same night (i.e. pairs of MN regionals, Australian regionals, TVR+FLR, etc). I am personally not a fan because I find drafting multiple events at the same time to be significantly more stressful. What does the community prefer when it comes to splitting up similar events vs lumping them together?

• Split up similar events to different nights
  • Draft similar events on the same night
  • Indifferent

0 voters

1 Like

Can we add an I don’t care option? (I actually don’t care either way, whatever other people want.)

2 Likes

The comment I have is that you should try being on a solo team sometime (if we hadn’t shut those down). Multiple events at the same time doesn’t fase me–I send lists.

I mean, we could split up those regionals, but by nature of when they are they can only go so far away from each other. So it’ll be somewhat “do we want same night or 2 in 3 nights?” which is a challenging discussion to have, as it’s largely going to be personal preference.

1 Like

This fails to address the actual problem at hand and instead belittles anyone who may support splitting up events.

I think you are overestimating the amount of work required to do this. It can be as simple as copy pasting event names in the spreadsheet from one row to another so that two events from the same general area aren’t on the same day. This is not the halting problem.

5 Likes

I think you’re underestimating the amount of work. Not because it’s easy to move stuff in a spreadsheet, which a trained monkey can do. But because you have to figure out what ELSE that move is going to cause issues with! Example: what happens if you flip two events, and one is now clear, but the flip causes the other one to cause issues with the same thing?

Which means you have to establish a baseline FIRST as to what an acceptable spacing is for events in the same area, and how big that “area” should be.

Once that was done, making the move was easier. It’s been done.

Oh, and one thing I’d like to point out: Y’all with your multi-person teams are complaining about having the same person do two drafts in the same day. I’m VERY sorry that you have to go through that absolute HELL… that I have to do every. single. draft. as a solo player, who can’t live pick due to scheduling (I work until 9 PM Eastern and then need to get home). For me, it makes literally zero difference. But for all y’all, who have people who could cover? It’s somehow more awful than having two regionals that are across the globe from each other on the same day. I just don’t understand that attitude.

1 Like

I mean, if you don’t want to do it, I can / will.

I drafted 75% of my teams events last year, I’m not really sure what you’re trying to say.

1 Like