F4 is pleased to announce that we will be hosting our 2020 Spring Special CADathon from 6pm Eastern of Sunday, Apr 12 - 8pm Sunday, Apr 19th. These dates were selected based on the responses from this poll . The live show will be featuring a brand-new panel of judges and will be streamed on April 28th at 7pm eastern on the First Updates Now (FUN) twitch channel!
Watch Live on the 28th : https://www.twitch.tv/firstupdatesnow
There will be giveaways for those who watch live, and prizes for winners of various awards. Stay tuned for further information on this.
For those unaware, a CADathon is like a hackathon but with CAD. People/teams are given a short period of time to CAD a specific thing (in this case a robot) ending with a panel of judges selecting a winner. If you would like more information on the CADathon check out our second , third , fourth , fifth , sixth , seventh , or eigth CADathons.
Team information (these rules have been changed for this special CADathon):
- The CADathon duration has been increased from 3 days to 1 week.
- There will be no limit to CADathon team size IF everyone on the CADathon team is a member of the same FIRST (FRC etc.) team.
- For CADathon teams with members of different FIRST teams, we will keep the usual rule of “up to 3 members” (this is to prevent the 10 best CADathon participants from 10 different teams from teaming up and making the competition unfair).
- If you are competing solo, but would like to be assigned up to 2 random partners, you can sign up as a “random” in the signup form and we will do our best to match you with a partner using the same software and in a similar timezone.
- Teams will be required to upload a exported STEP file, native CAD files, and any renders they create to a grabCAD workbench.
- Teams will also submit a google forms “pit scouting document” which will help explain their design to the judges.
- All files including finals renders need to be submitted by 8pm on April 19th. Once done, the files will be inspected to make sure they adhere to the game rules.
The submissions will be split in thirds and each judge will judge 1/3 of the submissions. Each judge will them submit their top 5-7 teams, and the other two judges will go back and judge those entries. This way the top 15 will have feedback from all 3 judges.
The only prerequisites to join are that you are willing to spend time doing it and that you have access to some CAD software. You can be any age (this is not limited to students) and we encourage everyone from newbies to the most advanced CADers to put their skills to the test. If you are new to CAD and would like to be on a larger team to help yourself learn, please contact us as these will be handled on a case to case basis. If you are interested please sign up at the link below.
Sign Ups close on April 11th at noon but please sign up as soon as you decide to participate.
Sign up form:
Regardless of what type of team you are (solo, 3 man, unlimited FIRST team, etc), ONLY 1 MEMBER OF EACH TEAM SHOULD COMPLETE THE SIGNUP FORM.
If you are competing as a FIRST team, and a member of your team has previously competed in CADathon, the team may use that member’s CADathon team number if they wish, by selecting the “existing team” option.
If you are interested in being a Judge on the show, apply here:
Link to join the CADathon Slack:
Wow thank you to the massive turnout we had last night live! These competitors were amazing and the designs shown were absolutely incredible.
All videos are up on YouTube! In the video descriptions I did put the order that teams are listed for ranks 16-100.
Ranks 1-5: https://youtu.be/odvxDhYNGt0
Ranks 6-15: https://youtu.be/jJ2vtXRY18M
Ranks 16-50: https://youtu.be/XIL8EZkmz6o
Ranks 51-100 Parade: https://youtu.be/jpGOlF14TV4