2022 Championship WFA Winner

The Woodie Flowers Award Recipients Group congratulates Christine Sapio of The Coconuts, team 2486, as its 2022 FIRST Championship Woodie Flowers Award winner! The group warmly welcomes dynamo Christine, knowing that she will undoubtedly add her boundless enthusiasm and passion for FIRST to the group.

49 Likes

Absolutly wondeful!! She seems super kind when i talked to her and I bet she’s a wondeful mentor!! Congratulations!!!

5 Likes

She’s absolutely out of this world!

6 Likes

When I attended my first Regional in Phoenix, AZ, I was surprised (and delighted!) to see Christine, a mentor for a team in Flagstaff (2 hours away) volunteering at the event! I was incredibly thrilled to see her win WFA at Champs, with her tutu bouncing along as she went up to receive the award! Well deserved!! Congratulations, Christine!!!

5 Likes

We are so excited to welcome Christine to the WFA family…an amazing mentor and a Physics teacher! Oh yeah!!!

7 Likes

When I first began mentoring 6413, my students told me of how incredible Christine is. In 2018 when she earned the award at the AZ North Regional our students cheered her on and celebrated her success as if she were their own mentor. And she actually kind of is everyone’s mentor, you can tell she truly cares, she has a kindness and cheerfulness about her that transcends team boundaries and serves to unify. Honk Honk and congrats Christine!

5 Likes

Christine is AMAZING! I have so much admiration and respect for her. Her passion and energy for her students and the AZ FIRST community is truly inspiring!

She helped make FTC competitions alive for our team during the virtual season, and her enthusiasm was so genuine and infectious during a tough time. At AZ FRC events, it’s always a joy in interact with Christine and the students of 2486. When I had a quick interaction with her in the stands at worlds, her joy at being the event just radiated off of her.

She is such an awesome person! I’m so excited she was recognized with WFA! Congratulations Christine and honk honk!

6 Likes

I was super fortunate to meet Christine in person for the first time this past weekend in Houston. My team (166) and 2486 have been in constant communication over the past few years sharing our outreach efforts with each other and giving feedback on our Chairman’s presentations. On top of that, we were fortunate to pair up on Newton. A little bit of back story, our current lead mentor (as of 2020) was originally from 2486 before he and his family moved cross country and joined 166 in 2016.

To say that we’re excited for her is a total understatement!

10 Likes

I first met Christine during the 2012 season at the regional in Flagstaff. While her colorful outfit was hard to miss, it was her energy and enthusiasm that I recall the most. She was excited for each teams achievements, but just her teams.

Over the years since I have seen her either mentoring or volunteering at multiple FIRST events. Each time she was as energetic and enthusiastic as that first event.

Christine had been, and continues to be, an excellent role model. I am very happy that she has been given this years WFA award in recognition of all that she has done for so many.

Congratulations Christine!!

6 Likes

Congratulations Ms. Christine!! I haven’t talk to you much but I did get to see you at Az Valley and that alone was so amazing. You have such a beautiful energy and love what you do and it inspires not only me but I would like to believe anyone who gets to see you shine.

5 Likes

Christine was one of the first people I met in the AZ FIRST community, and she immediately made me feel welcomed. She reminds me of the sun, she’s bright, warm, and has an incredible amount of energy that she directs towards educating and inspiring all of the students that she encounters. I’m proud to call her my friend and feel blessed that she calls AZ FIRST her home! Congratulations, Christine!

4 Likes

@Connor_McBride @Tyler_Olds any chance we can do a Get to Know…or AMA style episode on FUN with Christine?

10 Likes

I don’t make the calls but I 100% second this!

2 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS, CHRISTINE! It was a pleasure to be part of welcoming Christine as the 2022 WFA recipient. I look forward to getting to know her better. It’s great to hear all of these celebratory comments! Keep them coming.

4 Likes

Interesting that she won her WFFA in 2018. Is it pretty often for the WFA winners to be from previous years? There must have a pool of at least 200 finalists to choose from for the award, if previous finalists are considered again.

1 Like

My understanding is previous year winners are considered IFF their team re-nominates them.
Congratulations to Ms. Sapio. Great to see more women represented on FIRST’s biggest stage.

5 Likes

This is correct. I’m not actually sure how often teams re-nominate their mentors.

1 Like

Each team gets to re-nominate a mentor that won it previously and nominate a new mentor before their events each season?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

The WFA winner almost always won WFFA in a previous season. I can’t immediately find a case in the three alliance era where the WFA winner had won WFFA the same year (could be wrong though)

2 Likes