2022 COTS Parts Requests

It’s odd, but it seems like it’s time of the year again. What parts would you like to see FRC vendors supply for the upcoming season? Here are the threads from the 2020 and 2021 for reference.

6 Likes

I want a high power, high torque, low rpm brushless motor. It can be a large diameter as long as it isn’t heavy. I want something that can turn a 3-4 stage gearbox into a 2 stage gearbox.

26 Likes

A localization solution that is not reliant on wheel odometry. Accurate to +- 2” with update rates of at least 30hz.

And if I’m allowed to wishlist anything - I’d love to see rpm safety ratings on common shooter wheels.

Edit - I think some folks thought I was kidding but I’m happy to put a small cash bounty on the odometry stuff if someone does it open source and fields it.

16 Likes

I want something that can adapt vex components (such as their wheels, sensors, etc.) and translate it to common FTC drive types (such as 6mm d-bore, 5mm hex)

Conversions the other way would be great too. That’d hugely increase my servo supply.

I have oodles and oodles of vex supplies in my classroom, but am not a fan of the square shaft. Manually converting everything is largely impractical.

(Or a tool to easily convert, would take that too…)

2 Likes

Has anyone talked to you about our lord and savior RFID? /s

9 Likes

Brought to you by the prophet tmichals. /s

Edit: Also smaller Falcons. I’d love some smol Falcons.

4 Likes

I believe it’s been brought up in other threads, but I’d love to see a COTS solution for telescoping tubes - something similar to the Greyt Universal Elevator Kit.

23 Likes

You’re going to be hard pressed having that kind of update rate and accuracy. There’s a few teams that have done neat things by combining wheel odometry, a dedicated vslam camera, and conventional FRC vision to get consistent full-match localization near that resolution, but if you take away wheel odometry I can’t imagine a system that meets those specs that works in an FRC environment.

7 Likes

Any particular reason you want this to be a new motor, or would a gearbox a la current cots planetaries but higher torque capacity be satisfactory?

2 Likes

I did say wishlist…

Yeah the requirements are fairly intense I’ve found a few solutions with about half the resolution but idk that 10cm is close enough. I’m also unsure about their legality in frc. I’ve got enough projects though so I’m happy to ask someone else to solve this. (Plus my mostly tangential involvement in frc lately means it’s hard for me to test on field)

Weight and space. I don’t think more gearbox is the solution to this.

1 Like

I would love to see independent motor testing, updated every time a new motor comes out. Vex’s resource is great, but they’ve shown that they only really have an interest in updating it when they release something new, which makes sense, it’s a marketing platform for them as well as a resource - no point in updating it if they’re not at the top.

On a related note, UPs without the HD Hex motor included. I’m sure there’s a good reason it hasn’t been done yet, but it’s mildly annoying for some people. Admittedly, my team probably won’t get much use out of it because we have plenty of VP hardware and don’t have the equipment to press pinions, but I’ve seen it posted around before.

Also, I hope the RoboRIO 2 has a built-in gyro using the NavX/Pigeon chip. That is all.

7 Likes

Someone put a design for this on Discord, but a cycloidal gearbox that replaced the face plate for the Falcon. This would be amazing for high reduction, small space solutions, and would work with @Andrew_L’s request for high power, low RPM motors but without needing to buy something entirely separate.

1 Like

This might be more FTC related but a good analog gyro. The ones in the current control system are nice but the hub doesn’t always get mounted in the correct orientation to interpret the data and I2C is icky.

I’ve always wanted flat urethane belt in prejoined lengths. We’ve been welding our own belts for a while but it’s a real hassle.

Slim linear actuators that are robust and have integrated limit switches (still need to wire to control system for legality) similar to those found at auto parts stores.

Overall more gear options

• Blackbox bevel gear boxes that are slim. Similar to the right angle attachments for drills but w/o 0.25" hex input/output.
  • More 32DP ratios (preferably with 3/8 hex bore but I’d settle with the tetrix/AM hole pattern)
  • A decent FTC sized worm gearbox that doesn’t run on 4.7mm shafts (looking at you tetrix)

NeveRest gearmotors with 3/8 hex output shafts. (D shafts are frustrating)

50mm/2" omni wheels in a variety of durometers (shipping from rotacaster takes forever and AM’s are either really hard or really soft).

1 Like

Although it’s doable, making slow motors is more difficult.

Without doing any math (but having designed motors from scratch before), I suspect an optimized single stage planetary on a falcon will be smaller and lighter than this fantasy motor.

that being said, I personally would like a motor that is 4 krpm or less, the power of ~2 falcons, and up to 3.5" in diameter to allow a single motor per drivetrain. This would require FIRST allowing larger snap action breakers, OR motors with parallel power bus wires.

9 Likes

I’m with @Andrew_L on this - something along the lines of the joint actuators currently being used on prosthetic assist devices or robotic arms, but that would be suitable for and compatible with the FRC ecosystem would be a great solution for a lot of manipulators. A Falcon or NEO nested inside a planerary gearbox might be a good way to do this. But it would be great if the form factor was as low as possible to avoid the issues with a multi-stage gearbox+motor cantilevered off of thin walled aluminum structure…

Using the internal IMU is something that we have gotten feedback on and do have on the roadmap to work on improvements/better document the internal IMU for the Control/Expansion Hubs. At the moment there have been a few higher priority projects but having feedback on pain points is always welcome. If you have specific feedback here sending an email to support@revrobotics.com will help us log it and take things into consideration.

1 Like

Most of these are actually using fairly high RPM motors (and at way higher bus voltages for better efficiency) feeding into a high reduction reducer.

1 Like

falcon 550 100%

It would make our transition to fully brushless so easy, and allow us to only use one ecosystem

12 Likes

Wishlist?

• 8 more mechanically identical variants of current gen swerve modules
  • Negative mass blocks
  • Slim CIM

/s

I have no idea where this would fall on the safety front, but I would love a full on neo (or Falcon 500) with the neo 550 design philosophy… put that motor mass to better use as flywheel. But… it is a wish for a reason.

1 Like