2023 Team Update 05

4 Likes

Time to make some pleather bumpers

27 Likes

I don’t really like what was added about AprilTags…it leaves a weird option for head refs/FTA to disallow replacement tag(s) if they’re damaged at an event. This would make absolutely no sense considering they should be made extremely easy to replace.

25 Likes

If I’ve said it once, I’d said it at least twice now.

Stupid sexy bumpers.

16 Likes

Are they saying they plan to repair the actual data matrix on the tags with manually placed gaffer’s tape? I mean, I guess I’ve never tried doing that before myself, but color me skeptical…

20 Likes

So drive teams can’t bring anything special to communicate with their human player since it isn’t the same ALLIANCE AREA?

If so LED lights even more important.

2 Likes

devices used solely for planning, or tracking strategy, and communicating strategy within the same designated area (e.g. ALLIANCE AREA),

The way I read this, doing things like holding up cards within the driver area to signal the human loading station is no longer allowed. On-robot LEDs it is!

EDIT: The overall list allows non-powered signaling devices without the restriction, so something like a card would still be allowed.

2 Likes

Certainly calls for a Q&A post I think. Needs way more clarification around what they consider damage to the tag itself. Just make them easy to replace.

5 Likes

The tags are black and white, so color isn’t required. :stuck_out_tongue:

15 Likes

This is the second somewhat major change to rules that have largely been the same year after year- why was this not in the manual at kickoff if FIRST intended it this way? I’m not sure I like these type of changes 3 weeks into build season…

6 Likes

Hopefully the field printer is a laser printer so FIRST doesn’t have to increase registration costs again.

3 Likes

But “non powered signaling devices” are still allowed. Feels like conflicting information.

5 Likes

Remember that careful calibration that you did that we specifically gave you extra time to do on practice day? Yeah well it doesn’t matter

1 Like

Not only that, by changing the “or” to “and”, the device must now be used for planning and tracking and communicating to be allowed.

2 Likes

So it goes! I suspect an update is in the works already.

Our students were contemplating an alliance strategy system, looks like they have the GDC’s blessing. (FIRST FRC Q&A System)

2 Likes

If the action of holding up a sign is still done within the alliance area, this doesn’t technically remove the ability for that sign to be read by anyone else. It does not say with whom the communicating is limited to via this wording. If that’s the intention they should make it clearer.

2 Likes

I need to read better. The revision is only to E. B remains unchanged - non-powered signaling devices are still OK.

5 Likes

How is it conflicting? A device obviously doesn’t have to satisfy all of points A-G or nothing would qualify. (You must decorate and protect yourself with the OPERATOR CONSOLE, which must record the match while being non-powered, signal to others, communicate strategy within your ALLIANCE AREA, and be required due to your disability.)

If it’s non-powered, it’s allowed under point B. Point E would be irrelevant.

6 Likes

TBH like in 2011 I expect a lot of teams to abandon more sophisticated communication methods and just have the coach make hand/arm signs. I don’t think this is a communication deal breaker.

1 Like

I always assumed you weren’t allowed to have anything like that anyway. The fact it was allowed previously is more surprising to me.

1 Like