24V rule change implications?

With the recent change to <R45> in Update #2, it seems to me that they have opened up yet another restriction on solenoid valves. There does not appear to be anything in all of section 8.3.9 that limits us to using only Festo 24V units. Looks like SMC 24V units are now fair game as well, as long as they are all switched by the same NI9472/Solenoid Breakout pair. Anyone interpret it differently, or found any other rule provisions that prohibit use of the SMC SY3000-series solenoids on 24V?

It’s not really a game-changer, but it does certainly open up the sourcing options. Finding 12V pilot valves was more of a challenge than finding 24V units.

The way it looks to me, if you want to use the free solenoid (and save $90) and the solenoid breakout module (without having to buy another one at $24) you are pretty much forced to use all 24V solenoids. I can’t find anything that specifically says this, but I’m pretty sure whatever voltage you run to the solenoid breakout, it sends the same voltage out to the solenoid, whether it’s 12V or 24V, correct?

Your supporting statements are correct, but your main conclusion is not.

It is absolutely true that a single solenoid breakout can only supply a single voltage to ALL of its 8 channels.

However, you are not forced to only use all 12V or all 24V. Spike Relays are still legal and can control 12V solenoids (not 24V). Also, the 2010 image supports two solenoid breakouts, which may run at separate voltages if desired. “Mixed Mode” is well supported.

FIRST has updated the power distribution diagram at http://www.usfirst.org/frccontrolsystem to show wiring for just 12v solenoids, just 24v solenoids, and both 12v and 24v solenoids.

Yeah, I knew those were options; just wanting to see if I understood how the solenoid breakout worked versus buying and adding stuff to the control system. Our second year team doesn’t have alot of Spikes and solenoids laying around like SPAM did. Thanks.