#25 aluminum sprockets

Anyone had any problems with smaller #25 (20T to 30T) aluminum sprockets stripping while in use in a drive train?

Many people use #25 aluminum sprockets with great success. I’d recommend the 7075 ones from AndyMark.

We’ve been using the smaller sprockets for a couple of years now, and we’ve never had a stripping problem. You have to be careful and make sure that the sprockets are almost perfectly spaced, or else you’re going to be in a world of hurt.

• Sunny G.

Also, make sure they’re aligned correctly and won’t wiggle around much while in use (not only will the chain probably skip a little bit, but you may end up starting to strip them a little bit). As long as you aren’t sloppy about securing/spacing/using them, and keep checking to make sure they are still secured, you shouldn’t have any problems.

The only problem I’ve ever had was when a bolt came loose during a match, and our sprockets ended up skewing every which way while we tried to figure out why that side of our drivetrain wasn’t working. The result, after the sprocket was removed from the hub it was welded to:

sprocket.jpg

sprocket.jpg

I’ve only seen damage done to plastic sprockets, and even then, splitting not stripping.