2nd Classmate - or directions to create one

QUESTION: Has anyone researched how/what is on the Classmate and been able to replicate the “DS” functionality to a normal laptop?

We’re all busy and I’d rather not create something from scratch if it’s avoidable.

We thought long and hard after last season to have duplicate programming environments and set out to purchase a 2nd cRIO, DS, etc. This year, the Classmate takes over for the blue Kwik Driver Station.

We would like to purchase a 2nd Classmate to complete this year’s programming environment. From another thread, it’s evident that the model is discontinued.

Thus, we could possibly get a different Classmate model and ‘try’ to restore using the Restoration USB but I’m doubtful it would work. Or, if I felt fairly confident of what goes into making the Driver Station (Classmate) the DS, I’d be willing to try and replicate it.

Anyone built a DS or know where to purchase the same (discontinued) model?

-Ted Dressel, Mentor, Team 1111

Just run the Driver Station update. It should install everything you need.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. So… if I did the following, you’re thoughts are that a laptop would function as the DS:

-laptop
-reformat with OS (Win XP - tested per FIRST, Vista/Win7 - we are on our own)
-Disk 1 of KOP
-Disk 2 of KOP
-LabVIEW update (gives us v19)
-DS update
-set IP address to 10.x.x.5 (in our case 10.11.11.5)
-have the USB Stop button item

You think that order of installs would give us a “DS” (driver station) that the cRIO would interact with the pseudo DS like it would with the already configured Classmate?

I have the hardware and can try this out. Just wondering if you or others have done this.

thoughts?

-Ted Dressel, Mentor, Team 1111

If you want the classmate to be for both development and DS, that looks like a good list. For DS only it looks like

-DS update
-have the USB Stop button item

Run DS and enter team number – it will set the IP for you.

Greg McKaskle

We have the DS software running on several PCs running Win XP.
They also have the programming environments installed from the Kit DVDs, but only so they can be used as development platforms too.

what about just using the restoration key? shouldnt that have all the necessary software minus the updates?

You can run the Driver Station/Dashboard programs from any computer. Just install them.

But that being said, it would still be nice to be able to set up a user account like the Classmate has for Driver that auto runs and just works like the Classmate.

Has anyone looked into this and discovered how to accomplish that?

1. Log in as the account you want to change to the DS-only mode
  2. Run regedit
  3. go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
  4. add a new string value (Edit > New > String Value) called shell. and set the value to the path of the DS (C:\Program Files\FRC Driver Station\Driver Station.exe)