3175 Concept Swerve

This is a swerve that I designed in the off season. I do not plan to use it for 2020, but its a possibility for 2021. I’m mostly looking for feedback and ways it can be improved. The goals for this module (in order from most to least important) are:

Low height above the frame to increase space for other mechanisms

Use as much non-metal materials as possible to reduce weight and speed up manufacturing times

Use belts for azimuth to reduce backlash ( a big issue on my previous module)

Keep manufacturing simple, and keep number of parts made with non-additive manufacturing methods low

This module succeeds in some of the goals, but falls short in some places. One big issue is the manufacturing required to modify the large bevel gear. Another issue (though not actually a main goal) is the total size of the main plate (8.75"x8.75").

The main plates are made of nylon, held apart by hex shaft standoffs. The pulleys and wheel mounts 3D printed, for testing purposes we will print them out of Makerbot tough PLA, but on the competition version they would be printed out of Onyx. The module currently weighs just over 5lbs, and that was about the target that I was aiming for. The wheel tread is AndyMark blue nitrile tread. The main bearing is the 4in OD bearing from ThriftyBot. Any and all questions, criticisms, or feedback is welcome and appreciated.

gearing

Full CAD:
Solidworks-Swerve6.3.zip (29.4 MB)
STEP - Swerve6.3.STEP (34.7 MB)

1 Like

I would be severely concerned running the Falcons underneath like this and putting the TalonFX that close to the ground. Seems like an easy way to get wires or the controller damaged.

I would be more inclined to run NEO’s in this config, which are a little shorter due to not having the speed controller on the end and should be mostly within the shadow of the box tubing, as well as having the wires by the motor face.

If you wanted to use Falcons, I’d look to change the design to better protect the motor controller and wiring.

13 Likes

This is an issue I thought of. I chose falcons because of the extra power and even more importantly the spline that allows me to use COTS 16t pulleys from vex. If the game had elements that I was worried could impact the FXs then I would probably switch to a design where the motor shafts face down.

Could you please “Pack and Go” the entire assembly and then post that for the SolidWorks option. You have only uploaded the .sldasm file which needs a couple of files on your local drive (c:\users\coope…).

2 Likes

Thank you for noticing this, I edited the original post with (hopefully) the correct file.

I noticed that the toothed pully that drives the steering doesn’t have any way to keep itself from just falling off (the hex shaft could just loosely fall out too), i mean, maybe you could tap a screw into 1/2 in hex with a washer but is there a way you would go about solving that?

You could also use this 12T pulley from AndyMark if you switch to NEOs, although you’d probably need to change the ratios a bit.

There would be 1/4-20 screws tapped into both ends of the hex shaft, I was just lazy and did not put them in the CAD

1 Like

another question, In my other topic I am looking at the possibility to 3d-print an entire swerve drive and I’ve deducted yours might be the best option as of yet.

if it is okay with you and your team, would you mind if i took a crack at it using this design?

like to the topic in mention:

if not i totally get it :slight_smile: Chances are i wouldnt actually use this for a robot in the future, more as a “at home project” to show my students and give them ideas for next year

Yeah for sure, you can use it for whatever you want. Though I should note that this module has never been built so I cant vouch for the performance irl.

1 Like

well as soon as my team gets back on their feet I’ll let you know how the prototype goes

2 Likes