341 Photos of robot parts from 2012 FIRST FRC - MAR - Chestnut Hill - Robots

Here is a link to the 341 photos of robots taken at this past weekends Mid-Atlantic Regional in Chestnut Hill, PA

As an Engineer and a Photographer you should be able to see what I’m interested in:

These photos are part of my on going Robot Photo Archive Project:

Enjoy,

Joshua

PS: These photos are not team specific. Many robots are featured.

It was great to have you stop by our pits.

Some excellent photos you took!

We probably don’t even have that many good photos of our machines parts! :slight_smile:

Great photos, you took pictures of all the right details. I really enjoy seeing the clever little mechanisms and part usage that teams come up with every year.

Thanks for the link!

Alright, looking at 1218’s compression testing mechanism, would anyone care to explain how it works? I believe it is in this picture. We have something similar in our robot and have been struggling to get it working for a few weeks now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshualynn/6828614670/in/set-72157629565565563/lightbox/

1218 doesn’t have a huge CD presence, so I’ll explain what I know about their device.

They call it the Charminator. The pneumatic cylinder applies a (known) force to the ball. The string attached to the piston rod (barely visible in the picture) is connected to a drum whose rotation is measured by the encoder. The squishier the ball, the more deflection that is measured. The squishiness is then used to vary the speed of the shot by up to +/-10% from nominal.

I’ve heard about this device but I haven’t gotten to see it in person or have some one explain it. If someone could explain it I would really appreciate it.

Hmm, we’ve been using a linear potentiometer on ours, but have yet to plug it in. We’ll see how well it works at DC.

Does anyone else see the irony that there were 341 pictures taken at an event where Miss Daisy (FIRST Team 341) took home the victory? :smiley:

The Charminator works by by applying a known force and measuring the amount of compression on the balls. We do this using a 3/4 inch pneumatic cylinder running at low pressure. Attached to the cylinder is a pull string connected to a constant force spring (manufactured by our primary sponsor Vulcan Spring). The spring is contained in a pull box to which we mounted a 1/4 inch output shaft that attaches to a US Digital Quadrature encoder. We tried both pull string potentiometers and linear potentiometers but did not get the reliable resolution necessary to classify the balls. The quad encoder give us highly repeatable measurements. The use of the Charminator slows down our shot rate somewhat, but greatly improves our accuracy especially at long distance. We wanted to be able to make shots from the far end of the field and the Charminator makes this possible.

The real irony is that there are no pictures of 341 Miss Daisy since they were not often in their pit or it was super busy and crowed.