3D Printed mount for Spark Max / Neo

Here’s a last minute design that some people might find useful. This is a printed part to mount your Spark Max controllers to your Neo motors. As the picture shows, you zip tie the wires and Spark Max controller in place. The printed part weighs around 45 grams. One of our mentors designed this to reduce the wiring sprawl.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QOubyrXTBcWTOW6cGl-m5sCIA3l7s4tq?usp=sharing

19 Likes

Cool. Here’s a dual SparkMax mount I did for anyone looking for something a little different.

SparkMax_Dual_Mount.zip (68.3 KB)

1 Like

What does this do to the heat dissipation?

3 Likes

It reduces heat dissipation. By how much? Well, there’s a layer of air between the casing and the motor’s internals on every side except the side with the shaft sticking out, so that side dissipates the most heat. I believe the effect of adding plastic on top of the air layer is small. If effects on this level stressed me out sufficiently, I would spend some of our funds on a set of Falcon motors.

One could make a cutout to reduce this effect. That doesn’t have any appreciable downside, so we’ll go with that. Thanks for the comment that led to a design improvement.

4 Likes

I think you’ll find that most of the heat goes through the faceplate of the motor. I remember talking to someone about it at MSC in 2019 after they melted a plastic mount even though the motor can was only barely warm. So as long as the face plate is in contact with aluminum or steel, plastic being wrapped around the motor should be fine.

1 Like

Thank you so much for posting this! One of my team’s goals for this year is to clean up the wiring, and this is already helping so much. We’ve tested them somewhat rigorously, as we basically just put them on the drive motors on an empty drive base and drove it hard for about 30 minutes. Nothing came loose/cracked/melted. We were especially happy that nothing cracked as we were going near top speed for most of the time (4” wheels with 5.95:1 toughbox mini is a hair under 17 ft/sec). We printed them two at a time on our Original Prusa.

Thanks again!

1 Like

@Nemo1 Do you (or anyone else) have a picture of this mount in use on a fully wired robot? Especially a swerve module if you used one? I’m thinking about using it, and I’d like to see how it looks. I’m impressed with all the details for cable management.

2 Likes

We have at least a couple on this year’s robot, but we used a kit drive. I forgot to take pictures last night, so I’ll snap a few and post within the next week or so.

1 Like

2197 used something similar this year.

1 Like

Nice, thanks!

If you are looking for a clean wiring solution for the MK4i w/Neos, I’ll add a shameless plug here for what the 4272 students designed. Kept wiring pretty clean.

The other thing we are messing around with is using the TTB Encoders, which because they have analog outputs, can plug into the Spark Sax Dataport (gets rid of a ton of CAN wires if you go this route). Still messing around with that solution though.

4 Likes

Doesn’t this defeat a lot of the point of the MK4i because now the motor controllers are unprotected up above the bumpers?

2 Likes

I suppose it does.

It was still plenty low to do a full width intake which was our point in picking the mk4i (along with the 7075 AL material choice) so it met our needs. We also tried to guard our 4 corners anyways, so we didn’t give much thought to if the spark max was below the bumper or not.

I think I’d always advocate for corner guards on a robot when possible. Your opponent getting a red card doesn’t help you fix your robot any faster.

I miss the old CD forum that had the snappy quotes at the top.
This belongs there!

1 Like