Recently I’ve been working on some ways to quickly assemble and adjust structures for FRC robots using 1" x 1" or 2" x 1" tubing. Inspired by 3847’s Protopipe and 5254’s HYPEBlocks but still feeling something else was needed, I’ve created a set of 3D printable clamping blocks with common gusset hole patterns incorporated -
The first versions of these were used to assemble an intake used in the Vectored Intake Wheels 2.0 video. While working with them I found them incredibly easy to adjust and dial in the spacing to make the intake function properly - “like LEGOs for FRC” as someone put it. Sometimes in FRC the difference between not working, working and working well are fractions of an inch.
- Designed for #10 bolts - tested with 10-32 bolts and when clamped sufficiently, they could not be moved by hand.
- Allows use of 1.5" or longer thru bolts + locknuts.
- Can also substitute 7/8" or longer screws with brass screw to expand inserts
- Use of spacers allows you to use the same blocks between 1" x 1" or 2" x 1" material
- Small counterbore hole allows for use of 5/32 temporary cleco fasteners for securing sheet gussets on the outside to use for transfer drilling holes in place.
- Gussets can also just be clamped between the 3D printed part & tubing to be used for transfer drilling holes.
These could be extremely useful for teams in the first few weeks of build season for prototyping, but could also be helpful for teams that aren’t strong in CAD and just want to figure out something that works on the fly quickly. Once your positioning is set, transfer drill your holes and replace with sheet metal gussets. Boom, done.
Feel free to modify or use as needed and good luck in your 2022 season!