3DMAX == CRASH-TACULAR!!! *anger, anger, anger!!*

gah, I’ve been playing around with 3dmax this summer to learn it and what-not, but last night it finally made me crack and blow something up. Last night I got 3 xp blue-screens in about a one-hour period!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Any suggestions on how to lower the crashrate and/or dataloss of 3ds? The blue-screens keep blaming my Nvidia driver, so I guess thats the problem. I have a GeForce (the origional one) with the Detonator driver version somewhere in the upper 20’s (something like v29, but I doubt the exact number really matters all that much). Anyways, any suggestions on how to de-crashify 3dmax?

Try a different driver. Heh. If the newest one is crashing, downgrade.

try not using xp. it was never really dsigned for it, so it would have problems. Also, you could try the compatibility mode for win9x/2k. Max 5 should fix this problem as they tested it on xp i would assume

Hmm… just wondering if this happens to be a licensed version of 3dsmax 4 or not. *I’ve heard that * the “cracked” versions have a rather hard time w/ WinXP. Not that I’ve ever tried or anything like that.

-GH

Even with win98, it’s crashed on me a lot. I seem to recall from a while back someone said the nvidia drivers aren’t the best, or something like it isn’t stable with opengl, or something to that extent. You guys recall anything about this?

And Trashed, what did you mean by compadibility mode? Is it a 3dmax option, or a windows thing?

try direct x or software rendering for your viewports, i never got opengl to work right with max either

dan, right click on the 3ds max 4 executable, properties, and then click on the various menus. you’ll find the compatability thing there. i think windows emulates the old win 9x kernal, though i’m not sure how it works.

ahh, so it’s a windows thing… alright, thankies, I’ll try that out too

the C-Dilla update is the licensing update for 3ds max 4.2…It’s usally only needed if you can’t get into max tho… Another thing to look at would be the service pack for 4.2, it upgrades max to 4.25…I believe its a free download from the discreet support site…Lemme know if that helps any!

GO TEAM 1101100 (Thats binary!)

I have spent the past few years of my life emersed in the world of computer art. I started out on a Mac with the 3d program called Pixels3d, and it is BY FAR the best 3d program EVER made. I recently got a PC and began playing around with maya and 3d Max and photoshop. I have found maya to be quite an incredible program and photoshop to be in a leauge of its own. Unlike the others, 3d Max is a piece of crap. I help my team with the animation last year and found 3d Max to not only be the most buggy program i’ve ever used but to be the most overly complex program I’ve ever seen. “For every button you see there are 3 more buttons in the dialog box it opens.”

I would suggest NEVER under any circumstance using 3d Max because all it will do is make your computer crash and make you blood boil.

*Originally posted by Specialagentjim *
**the C-Dilla update is the licensing update for 3ds max 4.2…It’s usally only needed if you can’t get into max tho… Another thing to look at would be the service pack for 4.2, it upgrades max to 4.25…I believe its a free download from the discreet support site…Lemme know if that helps any!

GO TEAM 1101100 (Thats binary!) **

I only have 3d max 4.0… thats what the team got in the software package

*Originally posted by Gope *
**I have spent the past few years of my life emersed in the world of computer art. I started out on a Mac with the 3d program called Pixels3d, and it is BY FAR the best 3d program EVER made. I recently got a PC and began playing around with maya and 3d Max and photoshop. I have found maya to be quite an incredible program and photoshop to be in a leauge of its own. Unlike the others, 3d Max is a piece of crap. I help my team with the animation last year and found 3d Max to not only be the most buggy program i’ve ever used but to be the most overly complex program I’ve ever seen. “For every button you see there are 3 more buttons in the dialog box it opens.”

I would suggest NEVER under any circumstance using 3d Max because all it will do is make your computer crash and make you blood boil. **

[COUGH]Typical Mac User[/COUGH]

Sorry… little congested there…

-GH

*Originally posted by Gilahacker *

[COUGH]Typical Mac User[/COUGH]

Sorry… little congested there…

-GH **

[COUGH]Ditto[/COUGH]

Ya know, i think there is a bug going around cause i’ve got a really bad cou…

[COUGH]Macs Suck![/COUGH]

*Originally posted by Gilahacker *
**Hmm… just wondering if this happens to be a licensed version of 3dsmax 4 or not. *I’ve heard that * the “cracked” versions have a rather hard time w/ WinXP. Not that I’ve ever tried or anything like that.

-GH **

I was using 3ds max on win 2000, so here is my conclusion.
Windows just sucks go to linux (if its comptable)
Do do anythign high end on 3ds max and incorperate that with differant programs (maya, lightwave whatever you want).

I would say that the only way of saving thta I had 90% of the time was the auto back feature, but then just that kickign in caused it to crash so I guess unless your lucky, or have a top of the line comp, or are not working with a lot of polygons, then your screwed like the rest of us,

cheers,
Tyler

All you people out there dis’in MAX obviously are thick-headed ignorant people who simply don’t know it. All of us who use it and are familiar with it are fine with it. I run it on Dual Athlon MP 1600 with 512 megs of DDR, a Radeon 7500 (With Catalyst drivers), and windows 2000. Personally, it runs great! I hardly have any problems with it, even with beta plugins such as the blurstudios and brazil plugins. I’m not saying that maya is worse, or better. Whatever you learn and grow up on, its obviously going to be the easiet for you. I grew up on MAX (started when I was 13 I think…well, however old I was in 7th grade) and since then I’ve gotten much better at it, but I’m still no expert or anything. I learned all of its quirks and stuff from using it so much that I don’t get those stupid errors (The ONLY error I ever deal with anymore is that I can’t use a lens effects glow with a background pic, but I’ve just learned not to do that anymore). Now, I’m sure if I tried using Maya or any of these other programs, I could probobly sound the same way all you non-MAX users sound.

Oh, and btw, I am going to diss one thing…MAC! NOTHING’S FREAKING WRITTEN FOR IT! maybe OS X will have a better chance now that its unix…but for now, I’ll stick with windows until max ports to linux…then maybe I’ll go to linux…

Basically, don’t knock it till ya tried it…and by tried, i dont mean, ::click:: install ::click:: open max ::click:: why isn’t the image perfect!!!..Get over it, it takes time to learn!

Emachines 400 celereon wit 4mb onboard video memory and 256 mb ram running 98… it runs fine on mine.

Hehe, awwwwww yeah trashedman.

at work though i have a 10 2ghz p4’s with half a gig or ram, 80 gig hard drives and 64 mb ati cards wit burners and a t3 connection :stuck_out_tongue:

I ran if for a few months on my Athlon XP 1700 with 256mb ram and a Ge2 MX in Win2k. Never had it crash on me.
It so could have used a better video card and more ram tho…

Wetzel

/me is listening to E:\Carbon Leaf\Echo echo\Carbon Leaf - 11 - Desperation Song.mp3

Ok, I finally got all the updates and got it running on both my machines. Runs great on both:

Tower:
Home-made from the ground up
Win XP Pro
Dual P3-450
768 megs ram (the old 100mhz stuff)
Matrox G400 Max 32meg
10 gig, 30, and 60 gig hard drives
2 cd burners and a dvd-rom

Laptop:
Dell Latitude C840
Win XP Pro
P4-1600
256 megs ram (ddr PC2100, not rambus)
Geforce 4 440 Go (it’s the laptop version of the gf4) w/ 64 meg ddr
40 gig hard drive (laptop hard drives suck…)
a cd rom (yeah, I know… I need the cdrw/dvd)

The only thing that I’ve noticed a problem with is that my laptop needs more ram… Max is a ram HOG and it keeps using the swap file on the hard drive in my laptop, which is SLOW. Max itself seems to run fine w/ no hiccups, but I can’t run anything else at the same time.

I checked prices on the ram for my laptop at pricewatch.com and found 512 meg sticks for $214 shipped, that makes $428 for a gig. If anyone knows where I can get this stuff cheaper let me know please.

-GH
I finally get max 4 running, and then they come out with max 5…