3dsmax6/3dsmax7 VS. 3dsmax8

hey everyone. i just recieved the email from autodesk in reference to the copies of 3dsmax8 everyone will be recieving. i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find information that shows the contrast from v6/v7 to v8. the “jump” from v6 to v7 was more like a baby step, so i was curious as to whether or not this change is significant. thanks.

Ok, I don’t know where to find compare and contrast info, but I do know that you can go to autodesk’s website and find out all the new goodies that are supposed to ship with 3d studio 8. I know for a fact that there are now tools for hair simulation and now the cloth simulator is built in, instead of having to be a registered member and getting it through autodesk. I know also that the workflow is supposed to be more… um… flowing with enhanced tools for big projects. There are better directX9 features, including .fx shader in viewport(yes, I know that it was already in, but just watch the tech demo, and you’ll see what I mean.). Also there is now integrated support for ILM’s OpenEXR images. The UVW mapping tool has been upgraded and is now more functional. The things that I’m psyked about are the cloth and hair sim tools, they look utterly amazing. But like I said, just go to discreet’s website… well wait… go here ~~>3D Studio Max 8 Feature Videos Helpful???

yeah, The hair thing looks sooooooo good. I have been using the ornatrix plugin to do hair, and that is a lot like the max 8…thing. Expect hair from team 116. cloth, meh. Reactor was good enough IMO.

Yeah, the interface seems rougly the same too. A couple more buttons and such here and there, but it seems to be a small change, more like refinement than a new version. Unless Autodesk is like Subaru and does a lot of stuff behind your back so it looks the same, but does insane new stunts.

One of the big differences between 3ds max 8 and 3dsmax6/7 is the new version of Mental Ray and bucket rendering. In the previous version, FG samples had to be quite large for a decent render, but now in max8, you can set the samples really low and still get good quality renderings. I’ve been utilizing the bucket rendering capabiltiy in Mental Ray and it’s really fun. For example, in this scene , which is part of my team’s safety animation this year, I have 6 buckets rendering one frame. This is very helpful especially when I just want to test render; fast and efficient in my opinion. I’ve read in other forums that there’s really no difference between network rendering w/ backburner and bucket rendering, but for us, it’s working great.

However, I did encounter this problem . I’m pretty sure the problem had to do with the HDRI image I had in the env. but I haven’t looked any further into it since that scene was only a test render.

Anyways, I think it’s defintely worth the time and effort to transition into 3ds max8. the sub-object modeling tools have been enhanced for efficiency and workflow. I like the Bridge Edge function; sometimes, it’s better than using CREATE in polygon sub-object mode, which you have to click on all the desired verticies to create the polygon. Also, the CONNECT tool in edge sub-d mode has two new features: pinch and slide; very useful. Furthermore, the CUT tool makes cleaner cuts. Lastly, I really like the new Manage Scene States tool.

-ky :smiley: