4-5 Matches Per Team @ Nationals????

Posted by Thomas Grupp at 03/26/2001 8:18 PM EST

Engineer on team #378, Circuit Stompers, from Newfane High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

I believe that at nationals every team will receive only 4-5 matches. This is because at the Great lakes and Virginia Regionals there was 64 and 70 teams respectively, and each team there received only 6 matches. At Nationals there will be 331 teams split into 4 Divisions thats 83 teams per division, I don’t see any way that we’ll receive more than 5 matches.

So, Do you stay conservative OR do you go for the big score???

Posted by Matt Leese at 03/26/2001 9:48 PM EST

Other on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Fiber Technologies & RIT.

In Reply to: 4-5 Matches Per Team @ Nationals???
Posted by Thomas Grupp on 03/26/2001 8:18 PM EST:

My bet is that there will be slightly more matches than that because they tend to run things later in Florida than they do at regionals. The sheer number of teams force them to do it. I bet they’ll give us 6 qualifying matches. FIRST seems to like that as a minimum for getting good seeding.

Matt who’s psychic ability has already been show to be not too good by the prediction on qualifying scores

Posted by nick237 at 03/26/2001 10:07 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

Thats true but at the regionals teams were learning and now they are experts.
If each team hits the button to stop the game after only 30 seconds then we could all get 8 to 10 games.
15 seconds would be better as that would give us all 12 to 16 games but only if every team ran like hell.
nick237

: I believe that at nationals every team will receive only 4-5 matches. This is because at the Great lakes and Virginia Regionals there was 64 and 70 teams respectively, and each team there received only 6 matches. At Nationals there will be 331 teams split into 4 Divisions thats 83 teams per division, I don’t see any way that we’ll receive more than 5 matches.

: So, Do you stay conservative OR do you go for the big score???

Posted by P.J. Baker at 03/26/2001 10:53 PM EST

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

I’m fairly confident that each team will get at least 6 matches at EPCOT. 83*6/4 = 125 matches. In Philly last weekend, they managed to run 114 seeding matches. Squeezing in 11 more will not be a problem, espescially since there are 5 fields. In fact, if they run 115 matches per field, the number of matches per team works out to be:

11554/334 = 6.88

7 matches per team is doable if they push it, but I doubt it will happen - expect 6.

P.J. Baker
Team #177

Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 03/26/2001 11:02 PM EST

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

I think we’re more likely to get about 6 or 7 plays for the competition. You have to remember that there’s a total of 5 fields to play on at nationals, which helps. And also, things run smoother at nationals, plus they tend to run the matches for longer. By my calculations, 6 matches per team will yield about 9 total hours of playing matches, while 7 will yield about 10.5 hours of matches. This is assuming 1.5 minute matches and 4 minutes between matches. Given all this, I think 6 matches is definitely reasonable, and 7 matches isn’t out of the question.