4 divisions in florida... (was it my idea?)

Posted by Anton Abaya at 1/18/2001 10:56 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NASA, Mathsoft, Solidworks.

Well, I dont know if they took this from my idea, but the 4 divisions in Florida is rather similar to the suggestions I told Lori Ragas back last summer.

It was actually inspired by Harry Potter, for those who of you who had lots of spare time and a neice with a full collection…

Anyway, the basic concept was so that each “house” (i called it) or division would compete and the best in their houses will continue on to represent their “house.” That way, teams will be rooting for their house champion…in hopes that their house name/division will be honored in their remarkable work…

In Harry Potter, the house champion would be glorified and all the people within the house feel happy and part of something greater.

The basic concept is that the houses somewhat compete, but the teams within the houses work together. Definitely, friendship between houses is recommended, but an internal bond of being “housemates” makes the connection.

That way, even if not everyone can go home with a trophy, a medal, a prize, at least 1/4 of the teams in florida will feel special to be part of a house that worked hard together to win the championship trophy…

Ok, if you havent read Harry Potter, go read it. I finished two books in one night. hehe. It’s easy reading…

So if FIRST took this idea, my dream has been said. I wonder if they’ll let us name our houses.

-anton

Posted by nick237 at 1/18/2001 11:27 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

In Reply to: 4 divisions in florida… (was it my idea?)
Posted by Anton Abaya on 1/18/2001 10:56 PM EST:

: So if FIRST took this idea, my dream has been said. I wonder if they’ll let us name our houses.

: -anton

I want to be in the “Daffy Duck” House…
Nick237

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/19/2001 12:39 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

Although it is certainly possible that Harry Potter inspired about having division at Nationals, there have always beens talks between the FIRST people and teams about it. Certainly you won’t forget the discussion about having divisions here in Chief Delphi Forum. But also I heard that in the team forum at New Hampshire after the national they also talked about this a while ago… Anyways, the division idea is going to work out fine. The only regret is that I might not be able to see the best combination of robot forming a undefeatable alliance, since robots from one division can’t pick robots from other division.

Posted by Joe Ross at 1/19/2001 2:52 AM EST

Engineer on team #330, Beach Bot, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA/JPL , J&F Machine, and Raytheon.

: Well, I dont know if they took this from my idea, but the 4 divisions in Florida is rather similar to the suggestions I told Lori Ragas back last summer.

It all depends on when you announced your idea. Andy Baker first posed the idea on this forum in June (as far as I can tell): http://www.chiefdelphi.com/wwwboard-2000/messages/4906.html

No matter who came up with the idea, I think it is Great! :smiley:
It solves most of the problems that I had with the format in the past. Now if we could only get FIRST to let the best 4 teams from each division pick…

Joe Ross
Beach Bot, Team 330

Posted by Chris Hibner at 1/19/2001 8:46 AM EST

Coach on team #308, Walled Lake Monster, from Walled Lake Schools and TRW Automotive Electronics.

See the link below from 3/16/2000. I couldn’t find my original post from 1999 since there is a problem with the archives.

-Chris

Posted by Andy Baker at 1/19/2001 9:37 AM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: 4 divisions in florida… (was it my idea?) - no
Posted by Chris Hibner on 1/19/2001 8:46 AM EST:

Chris,

You’re definitely right… it wasn’t me who initially thought of this, that’s for sure.

Possibly others “talked” about the regional thing before, but the first post on this Forum was by you.

Andy B.

Posted by Anton Abaya at 1/19/2001 10:39 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

nick wants to be called the daffy duck house…

should we dress him up as one?

-anton

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 1/19/2001 1:04 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: aye… i guess it is a wonderful idea…
Posted by Anton Abaya on 1/19/2001 10:39 AM EST:

No, Nick’s noticeable enough on his own without a costume :wink:

Plus…we’ve already got our team mascot…have you ever seen our “Plan B”? Its our graphic arts master who we dress up in tin foil and parade around the competition with the phrase “If your robot’s broken, there’s always Plan B!”

He was created at FL in '99 when our driver randomly brought a roll of tin foil with him to Nats…we didn’t dare take him out of the pits, for fear he’d bake like a potato :wink:

Anyways…knowing FIRST, though, I think the houses will be named after famous scientists again…maybe thats what they’ll cheer in the finals: “Curie! Curie!” “Einstein, Einstein, goooo Einstein!”

Plus, Daffy Duck isn’t a Disney character, so there’s not really a chance.

-Jessica B, #237