4907 ThunderStamps 2022 Season Recap Video

Our media team put together this Team 4907 ThunderStamps 2022 Season Recap Video to celebrate the year:

The video highlights the team’s progress during the build season, district competitions, DCMP, and the trip to Houston.

At Houston you can see how many people came by the 4907 pit to ask about the robot. The two most popular questions were, “How does it work?” and “How did you come up with this idea?” It really was an amazing experience!

It also contains some never released video of the prototype jump mechanism:

For reference, that prototype video was taken on January 16th. The video shows an earlier jump where it didn’t reach full height, but the image above was from a test later that same day with the simulated “top of robot” mechanism reaching higher than 96 inches, which was the target. I’m happy to answer any questions below, but please be a little more specific than “How does it work?:slight_smile:

The team would really like to thank our sponsors, students, teachers, the school board, technical mentors, all our families, and all the support we received from the greater FIRST community this year. We made a lot of new friends, and it will be a year to remember!

29 Likes

This may need to split in a different thread, but could you go into a little more detail about how you protected the syringe from shock loads on Darth Theta? I had generally been under the impression you really couldn’t put acrylic of a reasonably thin thickness on an FRC robot because the shock loads would eventually shatter it. Clearly the syringe did not shatter. Did you go to extreme lengths to mitigate the shock loads (put it on some kind of suspension?), is the closed tube section just a lot less prone to waving about and eventually shattering, or is my intuition about how breakage prone acrylic is wrong because teams often use sheets that are just way too thin?

2 Likes

The bottom of the tube seats into a circular groove milled into a CNC milled aluminum plate, with two square o-rings on the outside of the tube sandwiched between layers of a compression ring to hold the tube in place and create an airtight seal. This provides a lot of structural strength and support for that end of the tube.

The tower structure surrounding the tube is also attached to the same CNC milled aluminum plate, but not to the tube.

The tube is only supported at the bottom, while the top just kind of “floats”. I once asked the mechanical team if we shouldn’t be supporting the top of the tube by connecting it to the tower, and after thinking about it briefly, they said, “no you don’t want to do that.” I took their word for it.

The dynamics and such are outside my level of understanding. But looking at the robot after Houston, I suspect a lot of impact energy was absorbed simply by deforming aluminum.

5 Likes

I figure this should be posted for posterity… it’s the very first traversal bar jump:

Here’s the same test from a second angle, in Slow-Mo:

Also, this was an original sketch of the concept (pencil and magic marker) posted to our Discord on January 11th:

The two different colours were just to differentiate the two parts. By the next day, January 12th, the concept had evolved to this:

The Discord post for that last one said, “36" high robot (base dimensions assumed to be 24" x 36"), 6" diameter cylinder, up to 30" stroke, but the piston height will eat into that if we’re not careful. Everything blue stays on the ground during launch, and everything orange moves. What’s shown is during winching, so the piston is being pulled up.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.