520 Point Combination

Posted by Patrick Canale at 03/03/2001 7:07 PM EST

Student on team #250 from Shenendehowa High School .

Does anybody know the 520 point combination that was accomplished in the UTC regionals?

Posted by Ken Leung at 03/03/2001 8:00 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: 520 Point Combination
Posted by Patrick Canale on 03/03/2001 7:07 PM EST:

I just went to the updated UTC site, and saw the picture of the winning alliance scoring around 510 points.

It’s pretty impressive! Pretty much they were like the runner up of the KSC regional, where a robot grab waited near the human player and grab the close goal, then head over the bridge and grab the other goal, and balance them (126 in UTC and team BOSCH at KSC). The other robots rush to the end zone and one of them grab the big ball and put it on the far goal (177 in UTC and team cordzilla at KSC).

The only difference is that the runner up of the KSC regional wasn’t as consistent as the UTC winner. Come to think of it, the Heat wave/Metal in motion alliance had a really similar setup when scoring the 490 pts, only that time they only got 9 small balls in the near goal. Maybe it’s the heat over there.

It seems like we found the winning combination of moves to become champion!

Posted by Jim Meyer at 03/05/2001 2:20 PM EST

Engineer on team #67, HOT Team, from Huron Valley Schools and GM Milford Proving Ground.

In Reply to: looking at the picture
Posted by Ken Leung on 03/03/2001 8:00 PM EST:

: It’s pretty impressive! Pretty much they were like the runner up of the KSC regional, where a robot grab waited near the human player and grab the close goal, then head over the bridge and grab the other goal, and balance them (126 in UTC and team BOSCH at KSC).

The major difference is 126 first grabbed the far goal and then came back to get the near goal that was already filled with black balls. This gave them ~30 sec to balance and place a big ball.

Stroke of genious in my opinion.

Posted by Chris Casinghino at 03/03/2001 9:25 PM EST

Student on team #131, CHAOS, from Manchester Central High School and OSRAM Sylvania.

In Reply to: 520 Point Combination
Posted by Patrick Canale on 03/03/2001 7:07 PM EST:

My memory may be faulty, but I think the 520 point round was accomplished with 3 robots in the endzone, 12 small balls in the goal and one large ball on top of a goal, for 52 points.  Then both goals were balanced and they had 1 minute and 9 seconds left, so they had a 2x2x2.5 multiplier, or x10 and 52 x 10 = 520  :).

--Chris Casinghino  Team 131

: Does anybody know the 520 point combination that was accomplished in the UTC regionals?

Posted by Tom S. at 03/03/2001 9:55 PM EST

Student on team #177, The Bobcats, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

In Reply to: Re: 520 Point Combination
Posted by Chris Casinghino on 03/03/2001 9:25 PM EST:

Yep… thats how we did it :slight_smile:

501 put the near goal to the human to fill…126 went and grabbed both goals… 177 grabbed the ball, and set up to score it on the top while 69 positioned as a wedge underneath the ramp… 126 drove up and it balanced, we plopped the ball on, 69 jetted out from under the ramp and we were in hte endzone with plenty of time to spare :slight_smile: in one of the matches, we only took 45 seconds to do it all :slight_smile:
CAN’T WAIT TIL FLORIDA :slight_smile:

Tom Schindler
Team 177

: My memory may be faulty, but I think the 520 point round was accomplished with 3 robots in the endzone, 12 small balls in the goal and one large ball on top of a goal, for 52 points. Then both goals were balanced and they had 1 minute and 9 seconds left, so they had a 2x2x2.5 multiplier, or x10 and 52 x 10 = 520 :).

: --Chris Casinghino Team 131

: : Does anybody know the 520 point combination that was accomplished in the UTC regionals?

Posted by mike oleary at 03/03/2001 10:03 PM EST

Student on team #419, rambots, from bc high and sponsors are overrated…go pocket-change robots!!!.

Posted by Tom S. on 03/03/2001 9:55 PM EST:

yeah…that was disgustinly insanely awesome, those 3 last rounds youre alliance had…hehehe even if it did mean we had no way of possibly beating you it was fun to watch

: Yep… thats how we did it :slight_smile:

: 501 put the near goal to the human to fill…126 went and grabbed both goals… 177 grabbed the ball, and set up to score it on the top while 69 positioned as a wedge underneath the ramp… 126 drove up and it balanced, we plopped the ball on, 69 jetted out from under the ramp and we were in hte endzone with plenty of time to spare :slight_smile: in one of the matches, we only took 45 seconds to do it all :slight_smile:
: CAN’T WAIT TIL FLORIDA :slight_smile:

: Tom Schindler
: Team 177

: : My memory may be faulty, but I think the 520 point round was accomplished with 3 robots in the endzone, 12 small balls in the goal and one large ball on top of a goal, for 52 points. Then both goals were balanced and they had 1 minute and 9 seconds left, so they had a 2x2x2.5 multiplier, or x10 and 52 x 10 = 520 :).

: : --Chris Casinghino Team 131

: : : Does anybody know the 520 point combination that was accomplished in the UTC regionals?

Posted by Adrian Wong at 03/03/2001 10:21 PM EST

Student on team #596, Hopkinton Hillers, from Hopkinton High School and Zymark & Computer Associates.

Posted by Tom S. on 03/03/2001 9:55 PM EST:

> 501 put the near goal to the human to fill…126
> went and grabbed both goals… 177 grabbed the ball,
> and set up to score it on the top while 69
> positioned as a wedge underneath the ramp… 126
> drove up and it balanced, we plopped the ball on, 69
> jetted out from under the ramp and we were in hte
> endzone with plenty of time to spare :slight_smile: in one of
> the matches, we only took 45 seconds to do it all :slight_smile:

That was a great strategy guys!

I remember seeing one of the matches where your alliance was trying to pull the plan off in time. It was a nail biter as the Bobcat Robotics robot was riding back to the endzone on two wheels with the blue ball in tow, tipping over and out of the playing field.

Good call by the refs! :slight_smile: Excellent followup matches, too. You guys really nailed it. Seeing those teams together in the nationals will really be a treat.

Adrian Wong
Team 596

Posted by Matt Ryan at 03/03/2001 10:37 PM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

Posted by Adrian Wong on 03/03/2001 10:21 PM EST:

A huge sigh of relief swept through the driver’s box when Woody explained the situation.